Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 60's to 70's trans and a subaru engine?

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      04 chrysler sebring, black 99 VW Jetta, 95 saturn SC2, super modified chevy 454 in a 1967 shelby 500
      05-27-2012 03:15 AM #1
      i have a couple of questions. i recently aquired an early vw trans that i suspect to be from a bug of bus and and 80's model subaru engine. ive been thinking about building a tube chasis ans find a power plant for it. well now i got the power plant but no chasis.

what i need to know is:
      will the vw trans stand up to the hp and tq of a subaru engine.
      engine has a clutch on in it and the trans is a 4 spd manual not the autostick. anyone know where i might be able to get a shaft or would i have to have a shaft made custom to drive a vw trans of of suby motor.
      any ideas to hook up the clutch linkage and make it all work.
      car will be rear wheel drive.
      any sugestions would be great.
      thanks in advance.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      05-27-2012 10:24 AM #2
      only a bus trans can hold any kind of other power or even a built up vw motor.

sure you can go and get a better trans from Rancho,Folts etc but stock for stock only the 6 rib bus trans can hold anything above 200hp and even that is sketchy.

6- rib 091 used trans can go from 400-700 used and who knows what condition it's in...a built 091 from folts or racho is well over 5k easy...trust me i know!!!
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

3. 05-27-2012 02:00 PM #3
      and kennedy engineering makes the adaptor kid that allows you to mate the two together, but it's not cheap.

head on over to the thesamba and spend some time in the vanagon section. those guys pretty much wrote the book on suby swaps

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      04 chrysler sebring, black 99 VW Jetta, 95 saturn SC2, super modified chevy 454 in a 1967 shelby 500
      05-31-2012 12:15 AM #4
      thanks ill check that out, oh and btw. the engine and trans i will be leaving bone stock. the engine is an EA81 and only has 100 or so hp and 90 tq so i wouldnt think i would be overworking the trans at all. i will look at the samba and do more home work.