Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Landscape lens

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      05-27-2012 10:50 AM #1
      We just got rather lucky, a friend was given free use of a 12 person house on Kuai for a week this fall. Have a D800 and 24-70 f/2.8 but with this once in a long-time opportunity I am looking for the best specialty lens. I'm considering which landscape lens to rent and am thinking the 24 f/1.4. Looking for the sharpest, best color reproduction lens that accepts filters. With all the water and sky I will want to use a polarizer or a NDF for waterfalls.

Thoughts?
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Vehicles
      V8 $4
      05-27-2012 12:03 PM #2
      I just ordered a tokina 11-16, I havent shot with it but from what ive seen it is nice and sharp, and nice and wide. Just my 2 cents, ive never used the 24 1.4, but that might be a nice one to use as well. I love my canon 50 1.4.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      05-27-2012 02:23 PM #3
      You might want to go wider than 24mm IMO, course I'm not sure how big the house is or how big the property is, or how much you want to fit in one shot, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      A lack of knowledge and facts has never once slowed down The Car Lounge.
      Quote Originally Posted by alexislow View Post
      Can we get pictures of your feet in return? Just the feet.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 12:17 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by schmoopy View Post
      I just ordered a tokina 11-16, I havent shot with it but from what ive seen it is nice and sharp, and nice and wide. Just my 2 cents, ive never used the 24 1.4, but that might be a nice one to use as well. I love my canon 50 1.4.
      The 11-16 is a DX lens if I am not mistaken. Also, width isn't as important to me as image quality. I mean it can't be 85mm but it doesn't need to be that wide. If needed will make a pano.

Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      You might want to go wider than 24mm IMO, course I'm not sure how big the house is or how big the property is, or how much you want to fit in one shot, etc.
      Last edited by jnm2.0t; 05-28-2012 at 12:24 AM.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Vehicles
      Currently: '07 Passat Wagon. Past: '73 Bug, '99 Cabrio, and '97 Jazz Blue GTI.
      05-28-2012 12:52 AM #5
      You could go with the 24mm Perspective Control (Tilt Shift for Canon) and use a tripod. Do something different with a lens that you wouldn't normally have. The 24 1.4 will probably be sharper and what not than the zoom, but unless you plan on printing super big or always shooting wide open, there will be little difference once you stop down past 5.6. The zoom might have more barrel distortion, but if that is a concern, then try a lens that is specifically designed not to have distortion like the 24mm PE.
      Editorial Photography: www.dejauregui.com
      Wedding Photography: www.erinheartscourt.com
      Wedding Blog: www.erinheartscourt.com/blog
      Instagram: @dejauregui

6. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      05-28-2012 04:39 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      What is confusing about what I said?

You may want a wider lens than 24... you know they make lenses wider than 24mm....right? You know that lenses are measured in "mm" right?

So what about anything I said confused you?

You know to get a wider lens means you go lower in size, which means you get more lateral and vertical image...WIDE angle.

So if you're shooting a landscape and want MORE of it in the IMAGE, you should go WIDER than what YOU were asking OPINIONS on.

So...what's confusing about that?

I swear there's a rash of people coming in here lately that have no idea about what anything means about their camera (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture Setting, Lens measurement, Cropping) asking what they should buy for "x" situation with "y" budget. And when someone gives them an opinion they respond with some dumb emoticon.

Learn what sh*t is and what it does on your camera before you ask a question, only to respond to answers with some stupid emoticon.

You'll just look like a ****.
      Last edited by hipster.; 05-28-2012 at 04:44 AM.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 10:35 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by azul View Post
      You could go with the 24mm Perspective Control (Tilt Shift for Canon) and use a tripod. Do something different with a lens that you wouldn't normally have. The 24 1.4 will probably be sharper and what not than the zoom, but unless you plan on printing super big or always shooting wide open, there will be little difference once you stop down past 5.6. The zoom might have more barrel distortion, but if that is a concern, then try a lens that is specifically designed not to have distortion like the 24mm PE.
      Ya that would probably be ideal but the PC lenses dont fit on the D800, the body gets in the way. Printing big yes, shooting at 1.4 isn't necessary.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/10/ni...the-d800.aspx/

Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      What is confusing about what I said?

You may want a wider lens than 24... you know they make lenses wider than 24mm....right? You know that lenses are measured in "mm" right?

So what about anything I said confused you?

You know to get a wider lens means you go lower in size, which means you get more lateral and vertical image...WIDE angle.

So if you're shooting a landscape and want MORE of it in the IMAGE, you should go WIDER than what YOU were asking OPINIONS on.

So...what's confusing about that?

I swear there's a rash of people coming in here lately that have no idea about what anything means about their camera (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture Setting, Lens measurement, Cropping) asking what they should buy for "x" situation with "y" budget. And when someone gives them an opinion they respond with some dumb emoticon.

Learn what sh*t is and what it does on your camera before you ask a question, only to respond to answers with some stupid emoticon.

You'll just look like a ****.
      What is wrong with you? The confusion was because I'm not shooting a house, I'm going on vacation to Hawaii for a week.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 12:52 PM #8
      Looking at your link, it looks like it has been updated with a response from someone at Nikon saying the 24mm PE will work.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 01:15 PM #9
      Looking at your link, it looks like it has been updated with a response from someone at Nikon saying the 24mm PE will work.
      Ya that's a bit misleading, if you click through to the Nikon site there's a superscript, note says 'Can not be used with shifting or tilting.'

I have a 300mm lens to return today, they have that 24mm PC-E so Ill just have to give it a shot.
      Last edited by jnm2.0t; 05-28-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 08:41 PM #10
      If you are renting from a brick and mortar place, just ask to see the lens for a sec and try it on your D800.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-28-2012 10:21 PM #11
      I'm a Canon guy, so I don't know the different Nikon bodies. Is the D800 a full-frame or crop sensor? If it's a crop, and you want to shoot landscape, 24 is probably not going to be wide enough. Heck, there are times when my 17-55 isn't wide enough on my 7D.

Also OP, you say you're concerned about IQ, yet you'd rather stitch a bunch of pics together than get a wider lens that will give you the shot w/o stitching?
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-28-2012 10:34 PM #12

What is wrong with you? The confusion was because I'm not shooting a house, I'm going on vacation to Hawaii for a week.
      And you asked for suggestions on a landscape lens.

Just checked and saw that the D800 is a full-frame sensor. The 24 1.4 will probably work, but if you said you don't need to shoot at f/1.4, I would think the 17-35 f/2.8 may be a better choice for you. Granted, it's 2 stops slower, but you already said you don't need f/1.4. If I were going to shoot scenery in Hawaii, I think I'd probably want something like that 17-35 f/1.8, and probably something like a 70-200 f/2.8*, and possibly a 24-70 f/2.8* to fill the gap. I know if I were going to Hawaii, I wouldn't limit myself to one short prime. But if I were only going to take 1 lens, and was going to shoot primarily landscape, the 17-35 f/2.8 would be high on the list.

*I know Canon offers these lenses, can't say about Nikon.
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 10:56 PM #13
      If you are renting from a brick and mortar place, just ask to see the lens for a sec and try it on your D800.
      Ya thats what I had planned to do, turns out they have the older 28mm, but referred me to some places in SF that have the 24. They also said they know the guy for Apple that shoots all the raw images used to make Aperture, he had 3 D800s last year. According to him the 800/24 doesn't do everything you need it to do, certain angles won't work, but with some effort you can get it to work for almost all situations.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 11:16 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      Just checked and saw that the D800 is a full-frame sensor. The 24 1.4 will probably work, but if you said you don't need to shoot at f/1.4, I would think the 17-35 f/2.8 may be a better choice for you. Granted, it's 2 stops slower, but you already said you don't need f/1.4. If I were going to shoot scenery in Hawaii, I think I'd probably want something like that 17-35 f/1.8, and probably something like a 70-200 f/2.8*, and possibly a 24-70 f/2.8* to fill the gap. I know if I were going to Hawaii, I wouldn't limit myself to one short prime. But if I were only going to take 1 lens, and was going to shoot primarily landscape, the 17-35 f/2.8 would be high on the list.

*I know Canon offers these lenses, can't say about Nikon.
      It's not limiting to one lense, I have the 24-70 2.8. I almost never use a 70-200, just doesn't fit into what I shoot. I haven't had much luck with the Nikon 17-35, not all that sharp, certainly not as sharp as the 24-70 is. The 14-24 is the lens to get, the issue with that is no filters and I plan on using a polarizer and ND rather often.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 11:52 PM #15
      but referred me to some places in SF that have the 24.
      SF... if it is Gassers vs. Calumet, go to Calumet. I used to live in the city way back and always got attitude sales from the guys at Gassers. There rental department might be okay, but Calumet has always given me good service (SF or LA) and it is easier to get to and park.

One note, both of those places will probably want a CC for a full replacement value deposit unless you have insurance.

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 12:09 AM #16
      SF... if it is Gassers vs. Calumet, go to Calumet. I used to live in the city way back and always got attitude sales from the guys at Gassers. There rental department might be okay, but Calumet has always given me good service (SF or LA) and it is easier to get to and park.

One note, both of those places will probably want a CC for a full replacement value deposit unless you have insurance.
      Actually wasn't either of them. I don't recall but I have time to play around.

Poking around Flickr and the Zeiss 21mm seems like pretty good, which borrow lenses has. 82mm filters is a bit of a bummer, everything I have is 77. I have another beach vacation planned nearby... maybe I'll take this and the PC-E 24 down and see how they go.

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 11:14 PM #17
      It's not limiting to one lense, I have the 24-70 2.8. I almost never use a 70-200, just doesn't fit into what I shoot. I haven't had much luck with the Nikon 17-35, not all that sharp, certainly not as sharp as the 24-70 is. The 14-24 is the lens to get, the issue with that is no filters and I plan on using a polarizer and ND rather often.
      As I said, I'm a Canon guy, so I don't know anything about Nikon gear, but I have to say that I'm surprised that a $2k lens has issues w/ sharpness. Too bad about the 14-24, but I guess it's a quasi-fish eye, w/ a protruding front element.

If you've got a 24-70 f/2.8, and don't plan on shooting at f/1.4, why are you considering the 24 f/1.4? I got the impression from your thread title that you needed a good landscape lens. I think that's why people are suggesting something wider than 24mm.

18. 05-29-2012 11:53 PM #18
      The Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR sounds nice and according to a quick scan of Rockwell's review, the front element can accept filters.

Seems like it would do the trick.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

Vehicles
      05-30-2012 12:05 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      If you've got a 24-70 f/2.8, and don't plan on shooting at f/1.4, why are you considering the 24 f/1.4? I got the impression from your thread title that you needed a good landscape lens. I think that's why people are suggesting something wider than 24mm.
      For the belief (whether right or not, I am more than happy to be told otherwise) that the prime will have better optical characteristics than the 3x zoom will.

Quote Originally Posted by peoples_car View Post
      The Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR sounds nice and according to a quick scan of Rockwell's review, the front element can accept filters.

Seems like it would do the trick.
      I had completely forgotten about this lens, thank you.

16-35
      PC-E 24
      28-70

That may do the trick.