Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: trans makes a clicking or rattle, only when the car is in motion

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW GOLF 2.0L
      05-27-2012 06:29 PM #1
      First off, I have searched and read through pages of clicking and noise threads, none are what I have going on.

I noticed the sound after driving with the windows down, then in side after removing all of my carpet and insulation. It appears to come from the trans where the axles go in and it seems to be internal to the transmission. When driving I hear a clicking or rattle sound. It does not change in speed or rpm. It does not do it when the car is sitting regardless of gear, clutch in or out. I did jack up the passenger side and turn the wheel and the sound can be heard like something is rolling around in the trans. I need to open the drain and see if its low on fluid.

Any help or responses appreciated.

2. 05-31-2012 01:26 AM #2
      Ya deffinitly start looking in to a thread on differential replacement... could be anything from a loose pin or a piece of your dif I would try calling german transaxle in oregon and talking to one of there techs they may just tell you exactly what the issue is and how to fix it and not go broke in the process.. good luck!

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW GOLF 2.0L
      06-28-2012 07:06 PM #3
      Im unable to pin point the noise myself, so off to sk motorsports in Bellingham, WA. I called and talked to someone there. He said depending on the issue could be 1/2 to one hour diagnosis fee. I can live with that. I just want it fixed so I can sell the car. I will update when I find out.

Seems theres lots of why and what is it threads, but most leave them unreplied even after fixing the issues.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      06-29-2012 01:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mcdonald77 View Post
      Im unable to pin point the noise myself, so off to sk motorsports in Bellingham, WA. I called and talked to someone there. He said depending on the issue could be 1/2 to one hour diagnosis fee. I can live with that. I just want it fixed so I can sell the car. I will update when I find out.

Seems theres lots of why and what is it threads, but most leave them unreplied even after fixing the issues.
      I wouldn't pay the diagnostic fee if you are planning on selling the car. The problem is obviously in the transmission, and can't be fixed without dropping the transmission, and rebuilding or replacing it.

Since you aren't going to do that, simply lower your price, and sell the car as a "Fixer". You won't get much money for it that way (an honest price would be $1000-$1500 with $1500 being for a car that is perfect, except in needs a transmission and clutch, which your's does). Diagnostic, transmission and clutch replacement at the VW Dealer will cost you more that you could sell the car for after you pay for repairs, so let the car go the way it is.