Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Exhaust Tip Options

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-27-2012 08:38 PM #1
      So I've never had a car before this, never done an exhaust swap/upgrade and have no clue where to start. That said, I've been considering several options for exhausts, the bb, resonator delete, muffler delete and so on. I've decided based on cost and sound that I want my resonator gone
      After I get that removed, I'd like to get exhaust tips. I know of the chrome oem tips as well as the amazon ones, but I was looking for something more like a magnaflow looking (doesn't have to be a specific brand) tip. I'm currently away from my car on vacation, so a couple of these questions I'd normally be able to answer so here we go:

1.) Will the tips affect the sound?
      2.) How much room (how deep?) do I have for tips, in other words, how long can the tips be?
      3.) What size tip am I looking for? I know some flare out, so dimensions of the actual stock pipes as well as the gap in the rear bumper where they come out would be appreciated.
      -I have my eye on a set of 3.5 inch magnaflow tips that have the ends (where they meet the pipe) that are 2.5 inches. Other than the width of the bumper opening, my other problem refers to my second question, these tips are 16 inches long and I'm thinking that'll be too long.
      4.) Can anyone recommend a tip? Magnaflow, etc. Like I said, brand isn't that important but magna's look nice to me-preferably something that doesn't HAVE to be welded on. I would like angled tips (don't know what they're called, but the stock pipes are angled and that's the look I want) and would also like to stagger them (don't assume that would matter, but I'll post that info anyway).

Hopefully this thread can help others as well, thanks for your help!
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-28-2012 09:04 AM #2
      Bump
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      06-01-2012 01:05 AM #3
      The exhaust tips really don't make a difference in sound at all, but I do know that it actually helps project the exhaust outwards giving the exhaust a better tone from the cabin. As far as exhausts go, any catback you get, it will most likely have really nice tips on it. I got my exhaust tips from advanced auto parts for $20. If you live in an area where you get snow and a lot of road salt, make sure to get stainles steel! the ones from amazon rust really fast. You can ask other members as well that use them. I have a resonator delete on my car, but that didn't do lol. Now I am considering buying a magnaflow muffler and swapping out the old one or just replacing the old muffler with a pipe. (aka straight pipe) from the catalytic converter of course lol.

4. 06-01-2012 08:57 AM #4
      I bought exhaust tips that do not fit my current stock exhaust, but I think my car has larger tips on it. Supposedly these are supposed to fit the passat. If you measure your tips and the tips I have will fit over them, I'll send them to you for free...just cover shipping.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-01-2012 09:47 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by b6vw View Post
      The exhaust tips really don't make a difference in sound at all, but I do know that it actually helps project the exhaust outwards giving the exhaust a better tone from the cabin. As far as exhausts go, any catback you get, it will most likely have really nice tips on it. I got my exhaust tips from advanced auto parts for $20. If you live in an area where you get snow and a lot of road salt, make sure to get stainles steel! the ones from amazon rust really fast. You can ask other members as well that use them. I have a resonator delete on my car, but that didn't do lol. Now I am considering buying a magnaflow muffler and swapping out the old one or just replacing the old muffler with a pipe. (aka straight pipe) from the catalytic converter of course lol.
      Well I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive. I don't want to spend a bunch on a full exhaust, be it cat back, turbo back, etc. I'd just like the magnaflow looking tips. Personally, I Wasn't sold on the OEM or amazon tips because they look OEM...I want mine to look upgraded, and the tips would be You didn't like your res delete? And I know tips won't really affect sound, and there isn't much snow in FL How much louder is the straight pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by sk80soarus View Post
      I bought exhaust tips that do not fit my current stock exhaust, but I think my car has larger tips on it. Supposedly these are supposed to fit the passat. If you measure your tips and the tips I have will fit over them, I'll send them to you for free...just cover shipping.
      Alrighty, I'm on crutches with a broken ankle now so idk how easy it's going to be for me to get down and measure them but I'll def try haha. What kind of tips are they? Thanks for the offer even if they don't work out, I appreciate it!

6. 06-01-2012 09:51 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by sk80soarus View Post
      Mine are the oval ones. Just measured and they are just under 3"wide (about 2.5" tall). I'll take em if they fit. I've seen tips that have large golfball like dimples in the inside that claim to resonate a better sound. Sounds like crap to me, but i'm no expert on sound waves.

Vehicles
      06/Passat 2.0t FSi
      06-01-2012 10:52 AM #7
      If i recall, one of the members had this Magnaflow street series from Amazon. That was way back in 2007, can't seem to find the post (it was in the old forums). It sounded fine but stuck out a bit more from the back. See if you can dig through the archives.
      http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1481...8561757&sr=8-1

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-01-2012 11:22 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniorfeel View Post
      Well I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive. I don't want to spend a bunch on a full exhaust, be it cat back, turbo back, etc. I'd just like the magnaflow looking tips. Personally, I Wasn't sold on the OEM or amazon tips because they look OEM...I want mine to look upgraded, and the tips would be You didn't like your res delete? And I know tips won't really affect sound, and there isn't much snow in FL How much louder is the straight pipe?

Alrighty, I'm on crutches with a broken ankle now so idk how easy it's going to be for me to get down and measure them but I'll def try haha. What kind of tips are they? Thanks for the offer even if they don't work out, I appreciate it!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cranford803 View Post
      Mine are the oval ones. Just measured and they are just under 3"wide (about 2.5" tall). I'll take em if they fit. I've seen tips that have large golfball like dimples in the inside that claim to resonate a better sound. Sounds like crap to me, but i'm no expert on sound waves.
      Pretty sure mine aren't oval. I think I read they are about 2.5 inches but I'll try and double check.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 08 jetta 01 jetta 98 240sx
      06-01-2012 11:31 AM #9
      Most after market mufflers come with chrome tips, so before planning in tips check the muffler that you want to install.

I remember a few days back some one post a link to a vw dealer that were offering oem tips for $35 I bought mines at auto zone for $22 tax included they are oval and a slight modification was required. I have stock everything..
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post77574806

Now you can get the performance looks with oem rectangular tips for $80 or so...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-01-2012 01:35 PM #10
      http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magna...#ht_1622wt_804

That's the type of tip I am looking for. I believe those are going to be too long, but I'd like a polished, angle cut tip w/o rolled edges if possible. Can anyone recommend anything?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      06-02-2012 01:20 AM #11
      [QUOTE=Juniorfeel;77631373]Well I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive. I don't want to spend a bunch on a full exhaust, be it cat back, turbo back, etc. I'd just like the magnaflow looking tips. Personally, I Wasn't sold on the OEM or amazon tips because they look OEM...I want mine to look upgraded, and the tips would be You didn't like your res delete? And I know tips won't really affect sound, and there isn't much snow in FL How much louder is the straight pipe?

Yeah I'm with you on the don't want to spend a lot budget lol. All I did was get nice exhaust tips and cutoff the resonator. I personally really like the resonator delete. It has a nice sport-like exhaust sound, but I'm used to something a little more louder, so that's why I was just bringing up if you were going to get a catback or just a muffler or etc. The resonator delete definitely was one of the best mods I did to my car. The tips I have on my car are from pilot. I got them at advanced auto parts and they fit like a glove and are really clean. The straight pipe is definitely louder than the res delete, but I actually enjoy it more than the resonator delete due to the fact that it is more raw, but not ricey. I am actually about to install a muffler though to give it a unique sound. decisions decisions lol.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-02-2012 06:45 PM #12
      [QUOTE=b6vw;77642444]

Yeah I'm with you on the don't want to spend a lot budget lol. All I did was get nice exhaust tips and cutoff the resonator. I personally really like the resonator delete. It has a nice sport-like exhaust sound, but I'm used to something a little more louder, so that's why I was just bringing up if you were going to get a catback or just a muffler or etc. The resonator delete definitely was one of the best mods I did to my car. The tips I have on my car are from pilot. I got them at advanced auto parts and they fit like a glove and are really clean. The straight pipe is definitely louder than the res delete, but I actually enjoy it more than the resonator delete due to the fact that it is more raw, but not ricey. I am actually about to install a muffler though to give it a unique sound. decisions decisions lol.
      Yeah, with no job (I'm only 16), it doesn't make sense for me to spend a bunch of money on an exhaust, at least not to me. I'd rather make it go farther considering it takes me a while to get it. I'll have to go look at their tips...do you recall if they have any without a rolled edge? That's my main "must have" for my tips, they don't have to not be rolled but I'd prefer a sharper looking edge.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      06-02-2012 11:59 PM #13
      [QUOTE=Juniorfeel;77648699]
      Quote Originally Posted by b6vw View Post

Yeah, with no job (I'm only 16), it doesn't make sense for me to spend a bunch of money on an exhaust, at least not to me. I'd rather make it go farther considering it takes me a while to get it. I'll have to go look at their tips...do you recall if they have any without a rolled edge? That's my main "must have" for my tips, they don't have to not be rolled but I'd prefer a sharper looking edge.
      Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm only 18 and in college lol. It sucks that there are so many things that can be done, yet we can't. The exhaust tips I have on my car are very similar to these http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain
      They have a slight slant cut. If I remember correctly, I don't remember seeing any non rolled ones. I know what you mean about the non rolled ones. Something like these right? http://www.corksport.com/corksport-2...k-exhaust.html
      They look so much nicer than the rolled ones, but I'm satisfied lol. Just keep looking around, you'll definitely find some. I know magnaflow, borla, and even jegs has good ones.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-03-2012 12:44 PM #14
      [QUOTE=b6vw;77651597]

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm only 18 and in college lol. It sucks that there are so many things that can be done, yet we can't. The exhaust tips I have on my car are very similar to these http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain
      They have a slight slant cut. If I remember correctly, I don't remember seeing any non rolled ones. I know what you mean about the non rolled ones. Something like these right? http://www.corksport.com/corksport-2...k-exhaust.html
      They look so much nicer than the rolled ones, but I'm satisfied lol. Just keep looking around, you'll definitely find some. I know magnaflow, borla, and even jegs has good ones.
      Yeah the second link is more of what I want...and it does suck lol. I'm trying to get most of my mods done before I leave for college in a year haha, I won't have any money for stuff like this then lol. I just have to get outside and check how much room I have to work with. I would prefer the non weld on tips, but they seem like they're more $ and I'm pretty sure my dads friend has one so that may not be a big deal.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-03-2012 02:57 PM #15
      I decided on borla tips, they are rolled but whatever, price was right and they're borla

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      06-03-2012 09:22 PM #16
      I decided on borla tips, they are rolled but whatever, price was right and they're borla

Yeah, I just can't wait until I'm done with college and can finally purchase the things that I want and have the money to get them lol. The $20 pilot tips I got from the store were slide ons. All I did was use a rubber mallet and they went on. The tips are sooo deceiving because they actually don't look like they will go on, but they actually do. Anyway, on the borla tips. They will definitely make the car look that much better.