VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 is still mind-bogglingly boring

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 12:29 AM #1
      ***** SPOILER ALERTS if you haven't watched the race yet *****

I love the Monaco circuit. I would watch them race cement mixer trucks there. What a beautiful venue. So I watched the Monaco Grand Prix on TV. What a complete Yawner. Massive waste of time.

As always, the race was already won in qualifying. The front row was #1 Webber and #2 Rosberg. The winner was #1 Webber and #2 was Rosberg.

There were exactly TWO lead changes, and then only because Vettel ran the rain tires all race so he stayed out when the rest of the field came in for tyre changes. (It's F1 chaps, so I have to spell it T-Y-R-E.)

I saw the first on-track pass on lap 36, just about the half-way point of the race, when Webber overtook a driver who locked the wheels at the break point. He passed the same car on lap 51. That's it. Two televised passes in a 78 lap race.

Meanwhile, in Indianapolis:

A record 34 lead changes.

The winning car started 28th on the grid and was down 32 positions and running last after the 1st round of pit stops.

THAT my friends, is racing, not this asinine ox dung called F1 where you win it in qualifying unless the lead team makes an unusually boneheaded botched pit stop.

F1 is the most boring autosport on the planet, bar none.

Indy car is more exciting.

LeMans prototype is more exciting.

Rolex Grand Am prototype is far more exciting.

Continental Tire is more exciting.

Hell, Australian V8 supercar is vastly more exciting than F1.

I think F1 MIGHT be a tick over spec Miata, but I'm not sure. I'll have to double check a spec Miata race again and get back to you. I have a vague recollection that even spec Miata racing is more exciting than the mind-numbing on-track crap of F1.

If some idiot was trying to kill F1 by making it the most boring series in all of motorsports, I can't fathom a single change they could possibly make for the worse. F1 is that bad. It is rock bottom.

It is by far the worst motorsports racing on the globe. Awesome car and driver and great venues and the worst of all possible on-track racing that is mind-shatteringly boring.

What an embarrassment. I keep hoping they will save this racing series but I give up. It is beyond saving. They don't give a damn if all races are won in qualifying and the pits.

Pure unadulterated garbage. I have no clue what fans see in it beyond the brainwashing that it is the ultimate in motorsports. Sure, it could be, with the money and cars and tech and drivers. But it is not. It is pure foul-tasting tripe.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      05-28-2012 12:31 AM #2
      Well, people like golf too. And it's a lot....I mean A LOT....better than golf.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      '73 Reg Beetle, '95 855, '97 Golf CL, '00 Forester S, '02 Jetta TDI
      05-28-2012 12:35 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      being a lot better than golf does not make it good.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-28-2012 12:36 AM #4
      Monaco is boring... always was and always will be. The only way to change that is to get rid of the track, which aint' going to happen.....ever.

As for the whole Formula 1, you clearly haven't watched a single race over the past 3 seasons, besides last one.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

5. Banned
      05-28-2012 12:36 AM #5
      F1 is the pinnacle, but it's just too unbalanced between teams with political cred, money, and big name technology vs smaller teams that can't compete.

That's why I prefer spec races like IndyCar.

Though the sound of an F1 engine...

6. 05-28-2012 12:37 AM #6
      Agreed.

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      05-28-2012 12:39 AM #7
      INB4 beating on a dead horse.

INB4 you haveñt watched a single race this year BUT Monaco.

INB4 Formula 1 is what it is.

INB4 you have to watch it live

INB4 Nascar is real boring, and so is Drag Racing.

affffffffff.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      05-28-2012 12:45 AM #8
      I want to see lower power regs (like <400hp), unlimited chassis/drivetrain tech, only 10% of performance based on aero. Make them work for it, the power and different dynamics will make for better, safer, and even more cutting edge racing
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      TCL Weather Service Bulletin: Winner Weather Advisory in effect until 2:00 p.m. Thursday. Forecasters predict significant fappage with a chance of skeet.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      05-28-2012 12:46 AM #9
      Indy was terrible too. Seriously it's worse than nascar. Open wheel is exciting in f2 and karts.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

Vehicles
      Something I bought at Weymouth Honda
      05-28-2012 12:52 AM #10
      MotoGP's Moto2 series is by far one of the most exciting racing venues today. You really can't guess who's going to win, so many overtakes, all bikes have the same motor so it's all skill and not whoever has the fastest bike wins, like MotoGP (see:Casey Stoner and the HRC team)

Monaco has no passing points really, it's too narrow.

Vehicles
      '88 300te, '14 XV Crosstrek
      05-28-2012 12:53 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 2Cor View Post
      Indy was terrible too. Seriously it's worse than nascar. Open wheel is exciting in f2 and karts.
      Been to every Indy 500 since 1999. This comment is as ignorant as is the one saying "F1 is boring this season" ... This year's race was the best I can remember - and I'm not delusional thinking it's not better on TV (cuz it is, I watch the broadcast when I get home...) Anyway, back to F1... the move back to mechanical grip (slick tires) and lessening importance on aero in F1 has completely revitalized the sport in my mind. The season thus far has turned out to be one of the more interesting series...6 different winners in 6 races...3 champions... I mean I understand if you don't like the sport, but to call it boring is quite ignorant.

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      05-28-2012 12:56 AM #12
      My advice; watch GP2 champ series. It's right before F1 at the same tracks on speed network. Its much more exciting. They take risks, get in accidents, its good racing.
      pardon my 'merican

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-28-2012 01:00 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Eightysixturbo View Post
      My advice; watch GP2 champ series. It's right before F1 at the same tracks on speed network. Its much more exciting. They take risks, get in accidents, its good racing.
      I'd love to watch GP2. Unfortunately, there are no channels (pay or free) in Australia to watch them on.
      The only option is to download.

As for Indy vs. F1. I am sure watching oval racing is fun in real life, but it just doesn't translate well to TV, IMO.
      Those Indy races that get staged on street circuits are far more exciting to watch... Gold Coast comes to mind.
      What you on about ?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-28-2012 01:06 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by BTM View Post
      Been to every Indy 500 since 1999. This comment is as ignorant as is the one saying "F1 is boring this season"
      Obviously you find it exciting. Your disagreement doesn't make me ignorant, it means we disagree (I find ovals exceptionally monotonous). No need to be abrasive.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-28-2012 01:07 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      IDK.. many golf tournaments are decided in the last 30 minutes of play.
      Not so much F1.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '88 300te, '14 XV Crosstrek
      05-28-2012 01:08 AM #16
      Obviously you find it exciting. Your disagreement doesn't make me ignorant, it means we disagree. No need to be abrasive.
      I'm not being abrasive - you specifically pointed to this year's race which was actually one of the best. You can get off watching whatever you want, that's a fact, but if you seriously found this year's race "boring" than I think you may have a separate definition of that word than everyone else...

Vehicles
      IV Hatchgone, E39
      05-28-2012 01:08 AM #17
      ALMS
      Quote Originally Posted by dangerkart View Post
      they give us a beer icon so we can feel established and accomplish the art of manliness
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      You can take the driver out of the Honda but you can't take the Honda out of the driver.
      vw.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-28-2012 01:10 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by clean'nblackmk4 View Post
      ALMS
      And LeMans.

Too bad, there is no Peugeot this year to compete with Audi.
      What you on about ?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-28-2012 01:13 AM #19
      I'm not being abrasive - you specifically pointed to this year's race which was actually one of the best. You can get off watching whatever you want, that's a fact, but if you seriously found this year's race "boring" than I think you may have a separate definition of that word than everyone else...
      It's better than previous years which have been equally boring. It's unfortunate that you don't like that description but that's what it is. 1989 is the last exciting year I can remember.

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:16 AM #20

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-28-2012 01:21 AM #21
      It's better than previous years which have been equally boring. It's unfortunate that you don't like that description but that's what it is. 1989 is the last exciting year I can remember.
      I remember 1989 and it wasn't as good as this season. Not even close. Never before you've had such an even field with cars as reliable as they are these days. You clearly don't like the sport any more and that's fine. Just stop calling it boring, because it clearly isn't.
      What you on about ?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05-28-2012 01:21 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by jimbogxp View Post

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      05-28-2012 01:25 AM #23
      all racing is great

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:41 AM #24
      Been to every Indy 500 since 1999. This comment is as ignorant as is the one saying "F1 is boring this season" ... This year's race was the best I can remember - and I'm not delusional thinking it's not better on TV (cuz it is, I watch the broadcast when I get home...) Anyway, back to F1... the move back to mechanical grip (slick tires) and lessening importance on aero in F1 has completely revitalized the sport in my mind. The season thus far has turned out to be one of the more interesting series...6 different winners in 6 races...3 champions... I mean I understand if you don't like the sport, but to call it boring is quite ignorant.
      I should define boring. No passing. Wins are based on leading the starting grid and possibly having a competitor blow a pit stop. Boring. No track action. Boring.

Australia - Button wins from the 2nd starting position.

Malaysia - Alonso wins from the 8th starting position. Because Alonso makes spectacular passes in the rain? No, because everyone ahead of him shunts.

China - Rosberg wins from the pole position.

Bahrain - Vettel wins from the pole position.

Spain - Pastor wins from the pole position.

Monaco - Webber wins from the pole position.

The only reason Vettel ever lead this race is because he stayed out on rain tires when the rest of the field came in to change.

If your pole sitter usually wins, then your race is bloody fooking boring. They call it a race for a reason. It is supposed to be a competition in which drivers are expected to have some reasonable opportunity to overtake the poll sitter, and certainly the top 3. This is a rare commodity in F1 and has been for 20 years or more.

BORING.

You know your race is BORING when the most exciting thing they show, over and over and over, is a slow motion picture of tire damage and slippage over the curbs.

F1 is BORING, as defined above.

Now if your idea of excitement is watching the pole sitter lead a parade around a track punctuated with heart-stopping 3 second tire changes, then yes, F1 is raw breathless excitement like no other.

Personally, I find a motorized Congo line BORING.
      Last edited by jimbogxp; 05-28-2012 at 01:44 AM.

25. 05-28-2012 01:45 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      all racing is great

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-28-2012 01:47 AM #26
      What you've done here is you listed the worst bits from ANY kind of motorsport. You could replace the word F1 with V8s, Nascar, Indy, DTM, BTCC, LeMans, GP2, MotoGP, etc.

I think you're trying way too hard to justify your dislike of Formula 1.
      What you on about ?

27. 05-28-2012 01:49 AM #27
      F1 is the soccer of motorsports. You have to be ok with less passing to enjoy F1 just like you have to be ok with less scoring to enjoy soccer. Monaco is lame from a racing perspective and anyone that follows F1 knows this. Watch a race like Suzuka or Spa if you want to see really interesting races. Alternatively, catch a rain race (like Malaysia almost every year).
      What Would Jeremy Do?

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:52 AM #28
      F1, the original motorized Conga line.

Below are highlights of an actual Formula 1 race. Note the shunt by Kobayashi at 0:26

29. 05-28-2012 01:54 AM #29
      It's pretty obvious you didn't watch any race this year except the Monaco GP.

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:56 AM #30
      Some highlights from last years F1 Canada Grand Prix...

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:57 AM #31
      Recap Grand Prix of Malaysia

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28 & '05 LGT Wagon
      05-28-2012 01:59 AM #32
      FYI, Vettel wasn't on rain tires. He was on the medium compound (softs) to start the race and switched to super softs. They held him back from a pit stop in hopes the rain would come, but ended up just switching him to super softs for the last 30 or so laps.

Vehicles
      2014 Accord Sport 6-sp, 2011 CRV
      05-28-2012 01:59 AM #33
      This?

34. 05-28-2012 02:03 AM #34
      I try to get into F1 every year. I always get excited, catch the first couple races, and then lose interest. Who's on pole again and what are the chances he makes a big enough mistake to let someone by?

Who would have thought the best drivers in the world with virtually unlimited budgets and a grand prix track in Monaco could be so boring compared to the b-teamers circling an oval in the midwest?

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 02:04 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      It's pretty obvious you didn't watch any race this year except the Monaco GP.
      2012 Indy 500 Highlights.

Note leader is overtaken at 0:56. If you can post an F1 highlight reel where the leader is passed on the track in the first 30 minutes of the race, I'll eat my words.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast