Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 is still mind-bogglingly boring

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-28-2012 01:47 AM #26
      What you've done here is you listed the worst bits from ANY kind of motorsport. You could replace the word F1 with V8s, Nascar, Indy, DTM, BTCC, LeMans, GP2, MotoGP, etc.

I think you're trying way too hard to justify your dislike of Formula 1.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

2. 05-28-2012 01:49 AM #27
      F1 is the soccer of motorsports. You have to be ok with less passing to enjoy F1 just like you have to be ok with less scoring to enjoy soccer. Monaco is lame from a racing perspective and anyone that follows F1 knows this. Watch a race like Suzuka or Spa if you want to see really interesting races. Alternatively, catch a rain race (like Malaysia almost every year).
      What Would Jeremy Do?

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:52 AM #28
      F1, the original motorized Conga line.

Below are highlights of an actual Formula 1 race. Note the shunt by Kobayashi at 0:26

4. 05-28-2012 01:54 AM #29
      It's pretty obvious you didn't watch any race this year except the Monaco GP.

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:56 AM #30
      Some highlights from last years F1 Canada Grand Prix...

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 01:57 AM #31
      Recap Grand Prix of Malaysia

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28, '86 3.2 Carrera & '05 LGT Wagon
      05-28-2012 01:59 AM #32
      FYI, Vettel wasn't on rain tires. He was on the medium compound (softs) to start the race and switched to super softs. They held him back from a pit stop in hopes the rain would come, but ended up just switching him to super softs for the last 30 or so laps.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE 6sp , 2015 Mazda3 Grand Touring 6sp.
      05-28-2012 01:59 AM #33
      This?

9. 05-28-2012 02:03 AM #34
      I try to get into F1 every year. I always get excited, catch the first couple races, and then lose interest. Who's on pole again and what are the chances he makes a big enough mistake to let someone by?

Who would have thought the best drivers in the world with virtually unlimited budgets and a grand prix track in Monaco could be so boring compared to the b-teamers circling an oval in the midwest?

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 02:04 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      It's pretty obvious you didn't watch any race this year except the Monaco GP.
      2012 Indy 500 Highlights.

Note leader is overtaken at 0:56. If you can post an F1 highlight reel where the leader is passed on the track in the first 30 minutes of the race, I'll eat my words.

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 02:12 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by JuanManuelFangio View Post
      F1 is the soccer of motorsports. You have to be ok with less passing to enjoy F1 just like you have to be ok with less scoring to enjoy soccer. Monaco is lame from a racing perspective and anyone that follows F1 knows this. Watch a race like Suzuka or Spa if you want to see really interesting races. Alternatively, catch a rain race (like Malaysia almost every year).
      I just have to re-iterate that 4 of 6 F1 race winners were pole sitters. The 5th was won from the outside of row 1.

That is not just Monaco. That is F1. You win in F1 in qualifying and in the pits. You don't win on the race track. That is why I called it a motorized Conga line. It is.

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac Solstice
      05-28-2012 02:13 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I try to get into F1 every year. I always get excited, catch the first couple races, and then lose interest. Who's on pole again and what are the chances he makes a big enough mistake to let someone by?

Who would have thought the best drivers in the world with virtually unlimited budgets and a grand prix track in Monaco could be so boring compared to the b-teamers circling an oval in the midwest?
      Thanks, you get my point. You make my point.

13. 05-28-2012 02:14 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by jimbogxp View Post
      I should define boring. No passing. Wins are based on leading the starting grid and possibly having a competitor blow a pit stop. Boring. No track action. Boring.

Australia - Button wins from the 2nd starting position.

Malaysia - Alonso wins from the 8th starting position. Because Alonso makes spectacular passes in the rain? No, because everyone ahead of him shunts.

China - Rosberg wins from the pole position.

Bahrain - Vettel wins from the pole position.

Spain - Pastor wins from the pole position.

Monaco - Webber wins from the pole position.

The only reason Vettel ever lead this race is because he stayed out on rain tires when the rest of the field came in to change.

If your pole sitter usually wins, then your race is bloody fooking boring. They call it a race for a reason. It is supposed to be a competition in which drivers are expected to have some reasonable opportunity to overtake the poll sitter, and certainly the top 3. This is a rare commodity in F1 and has been for 20 years or more.

BORING.

You know your race is BORING when the most exciting thing they show, over and over and over, is a slow motion picture of tire damage and slippage over the curbs.

F1 is BORING, as defined above.

Now if your idea of excitement is watching the pole sitter lead a parade around a track punctuated with heart-stopping 3 second tire changes, then yes, F1 is raw breathless excitement like no other.

Personally, I find a motorized Congo line BORING.
      youre missing the point....its not all about winning. besides your analysis of F1 being a congo line is so short sighted. did you watch the previous race? hamilton went from dead last to 8th in a single race.
      http://awwsheeet.com
      Boys will be boys!
      Good or Bad comments?, I dont care just keep talking about it.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-28-2012 02:16 AM #39
      What a load of mindless drivel.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      05-28-2012 02:55 AM #40
      Some highlights from last years F1 Canada Grand Prix...

Actually, last years Canadian Grand Prix was ****ing awesome.

16. Member
      05-28-2012 03:00 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by ohsnappe2 View Post
      youre missing the point....its not all about winning.
      WHAT? It's a RACE, it is absolutely, completely, 100% about winning. If its not about winning, its not worth participating or watching.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05 GTI, 07 Rabbit
      05-28-2012 03:45 AM #42
      NASCAR is the most boring automotive sport of them all

Vehicles
      '12 C63 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      05-28-2012 03:51 AM #43
      I'm not a die-hard F1 fan like my brother (who sometimes stays up to watch it live even though he can record it on the DVR), but I think it's the most fascinating form of racing.

As someone who studied aerodynamics in grad school, the aero packages on these cars is really interesting to me, and I know how long it takes to tweak things in the wind tunnel to get that extra pound of down force. Not to say aerodynamics aren't important in other forms, but the level of fidelity in the F1 cars seems to be the highest.

I agree that no passing doesn't make it REALLY fun to watch, but I don't think it makes it boring either. I guess for me the amount of engineering, strategy, and technology that goes into it (e.g. 18000 RPMs) is what intrigues me and makes me watch from time to time.

The fact that pole winners typically become race winners just shows the importance of qualifying, so maybe just stick to watching the qualifying sessions.
      Last edited by kiznarsh; 05-28-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Vehicles
      2009 Nissan GTR, 1995 Nissan 240sx
      05-28-2012 04:00 AM #44
      Dear OP,

Your criticism of F1 is very subjective and you are too much of a patriot.

The only reason Indy 500 had so many lead changes is because they ran on an oval. Did you see that many lead changes in the previous races when they ran on street circuits? The answer is NO.

Did the pole sitting drivers win the races? The answer is YES for the most part.

Does this sound similar to F1? The answer is YES.

Sounds like you are judging F1 based only on this one race in Monaco. The fact that the track is so tight is the culprit of low passing rates, not because F1 is boring.

It's also a logic that the higher you qualify, the higher you should come out in a race. The only way to get more passing is when you do reverse grid start, but that's another topic.

Yours truly

20. Member
      05-28-2012 06:36 AM #45

F1 is the most boring autosport on the planet, bar none.

Indy car is more exciting.

LeMans prototype is more exciting.

Rolex Grand Am prototype is far more exciting.

Continental Tire is more exciting.

Hell, Australian V8 supercar is vastly more exciting than F1.

I think F1 MIGHT be a tick over spec Miata, but I'm not sure. I'll have to double check a spec Miata race again and get back to you. I have a vague recollection that even spec Miata racing is more exciting than the mind-numbing on-track crap of F1.

If some idiot was trying to kill F1 by making it the most boring series in all of motorsports, I can't fathom a single change they could possibly make for the worse. F1 is that bad. It is rock bottom.

It is by far the worst motorsports racing on the globe. Awesome car and driver and great venues and the worst of all possible on-track racing that is mind-shatteringly boring.
      WOW. I can't really disagree. I'd lump NASCAR in with most boring motorsport as well, but that could be just me.

Meanwhile in the Sportscar race I caught yesterday, the Kia team running 1 and 2 on the last lap for GTS collided while be too competitive! They are on the same team! The second place Kia took out Galotti who was leading, and then took out the third place Acura, allowing for the fourth place Camaro to slip in for the win. Now THAT was a great race! I've never seen a F1 race come close to being that good. Never. The Kias recovered and took second and third place. I know Galotti was PISSED.

The GT class was great as well with Porsche, Cadillac, and Corvette really mixing it up.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      '96 Accord '92 Miata '88 foxbody
      05-28-2012 07:52 AM #46
      I guess the wrc is boring because the lack of passing?

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      05-28-2012 07:56 AM #47
      this thread is hilarious. I'll agree that F1 needs some rule changes to make it more exciting.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

23. Member
      05-28-2012 08:01 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by spitfirevr6 View Post
      I guess the wrc is boring because the lack of passing?
      Dumb reply. WRC is a totally different type of competition and is not really racing in the traditional sense.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

24. 05-28-2012 08:10 AM #49
      Indy, for all of its lead changes, wasn't any more, or even as exciting as Monaco was.

Why? Because watching drivers flatfoot the throttle for 500 miles isn't all that thrilling. The Indy cars don't even brake while they're lapping.

Indy makes 225 mph look boring - that's a feat.

Vehicles
      2015 Night Blue Metallic GTI and 2013 White Jetta S
      05-28-2012 08:20 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      I remember 1989 and it wasn't as good as this season. Not even close. Never before you've had such an even field with cars as reliable as they are these days. You clearly don't like the sport any more and that's fine. Just stop calling it boring, because it clearly isn't.
      No, it is pretty god damn boring.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      They quit making manual work trucks because even Hispanics don't know how to drive Manuel anymore.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast