Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 85 Scirocco leak on passenger side floor (pics)

Vehicles
      1985 Scirocco S2 8v, 1983 Sh1trocco S2 8v
      05-28-2012 03:42 PM #1
      I have an odd leak that is getting on the passenger side floor of my 1985 Scirocco. I pulled my windshield out because I believe that the leak has something to do with the base of the windshield on the passenger side.

The leak was coming from here:

I am having a hard time figuring out where there water is getting into the body that it could come out of that crack. I did have other leaks, but I have fixed them/am in the process of fixing them. The reason I know that this is the leak is that I have resealed all of the vents in the rain tray, and in the last massive storm here in Minnesota I sat out in the car as it poured on it, and that's where it was dripping from. For the life of me I just don't understand where the heck the water is coming from.

After I took out the windshield I did run water through the two openings in the bottom of the windshield pocket, and they both spat the water out at my feet via the wheel wells in front, so those aren't clogged. It seems to me like the person at the factory didn't put enough adhesive between the body panels when the car was being assembled and is short by about 5mm in that gap. I'm afraid if I do seal that, that the water will just well up inside the back of the dash and spill out somewhere else. Has anyone cut up an old scirocco at this particular point that can tell me what a side view of the inside of the car should look like if it was cut at the base of the windshield?

My other thought was that the water was getting through the windshield seal and somehow wicking backwards around the edge of the windshield bezel and dripping through the back of the dash, but I saw no evidence of this while the rain was pouring on the car.
      Possibly here?:

My other thought is that the seal on either side of the panel that the windshield wiper posts come out of wasn't sealed properly on either side and somehow backed up with water and pushed into the car, but I see this as highly improbable. Regardless, I still pulled the old seals out of either side and am going to reseal it with some type of caulking.

Anybody had this happen to them or have any suggestions?
      Do it once, do it right.

Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      05-28-2012 05:44 PM #2
      Do you have a sunroof? If so, is it leaking in the front of the roof and down to that point, as in maybe the drain tube is gone?
      Another thought is how mine leaks-the little clear piece of plastic on the rain tray is gone and it leaks into the heater blower and drips out one of the vent tubes, but in my case above the fusebox.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 06:10 PM #3
      I don't have a sun roof so that's not it. My rain tray cover is intact and does work. I think it might just be that the water somehow got around the seal and ended up on the backside of the seal on the inside of the car, and then would drip down the passenger wall. Im still pretty stuck... but maybe after I get all the rust fixed, caulk the holes shut and get the windshield back in I will have a new perspective.
      Do it once, do it right.

Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      05-28-2012 06:16 PM #4
      Once you do that, have someone spray the car with a hose, while you lay in there and watch.

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco GTD (Carrots), 77 Scirocco (Inga), 81 Scirocco S (Delilah)
      05-28-2012 06:56 PM #5
      What do the raintray drains look like - notably the passenger's side - the drain is closest to the body and drains into the inner fender.

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 10:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by type53b_gtd View Post
      What do the raintray drains look like - notably the passenger's side - the drain is closest to the body and drains into the inner fender.
      Rain tray drains from the top look nice. Nothing rotten nothing chewed up, and they are open and clear as well. I took the hose to the raintray when I resealed all of the plastic ducts. Worst case scenario is if it still leaks once the windshield is put back in, I take off the passenger side fender and see if I have any weird rot that will allow for this kind of water leakage.
      Do it once, do it right.