Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0t "rattle" at part throttle/light engine load

1. 05-28-2012 04:24 PM #1
      I've got a stumper for everyone.

I recently noticed that my 2006 A3 2.0t DSG (73k miles) is making a strange rattle like noise when applying specific amounts of light throttle. It's most noticeable when cruising at highway speeds (its pretty much continuous).

- It is not RPM dependent.
      - It is not gear dependent. Although it doesn't really occur in 1st or 2nd gear. In 6th gear I did notice that at high speeds (90+) that it will still lightly make the noise even at full throttle.
      - The sound is the same whenever it makes the noise. The only thing that seems to affect it is engine load/throttle. It does vary in frequency and pitch a bit at different loads
      - I've pulled apart most of the top of the engine bay looking for potential rattles. It appears to be more internal related
      - Oil change was performed to ensure it was not related
      - No engine codes
      - I recently had the fuel pump cam follower replaced and suspected that. I went back to the shop and they removed it and checked it again to ensure that was not making the noise.
      - Same shop checked the PCV system for issues, none found
      - I did the fuel line rattle fix to ensure that was not it. It did fix the idle fuel line rattle at least.
      - I suspected a potential by-pass valve issue and pulled the n75 valve connector to see if it had any effect. None.
      - I suspected a potential wastegate issue and pulled the n279 valve connector. It still made the noise, but it did seem to change the behavior a little bit. It seemed to take a bit more throttle input to make the noise happen. So this could be related in some way.
      - I can't make it happen while the car is not in motion through revving in neutral or by brake torquing the motor.

That's about all I've got on this thing. It's driving me nuts. I'm going to try bringing it by the dealer this week. My usual independent shop had zero luck figuring it out.

HELP! I'd welcome any and all thoughts.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 DSG
      05-28-2012 09:06 PM #2
      maybe it's your exhaust system? maybe a heat shield is coming loose or the exhaust rattled off the hangers?
      2006 Audi A3 Sport Package - Neuspeed Intake | APR Stage K04 | Eurocustom 3'' DP | Dogbone Mount Insert | BSH 27mm RSB | 3000k HID Fogs | LED Tails (Inner) | Euro Tails (Outer)

FS: Base B6 A4 Wheels NYC

3. 05-28-2012 09:16 PM #3
      Unfortunately no. I crawled under today and checked the entire exhaust system. Rattle maybe isn't a great description. It's a noise, it sounds mechanical, but not metal on metal. More like rubber vibrating almost.

Little audio clip I tried to make, its not very good unfortunately.

http://thekitch.com/files/audio/rattle.mp3

Vehicles
      06 A3 2.0t
      05-28-2012 09:30 PM #4
      I had a noise like this. It was not rpm dependent nor speed. I could replicate it when the car was off by pushing it back and forth.

Turned out to be my downpipe mount on the bottom was cracked. Got it welded and it makes no noise.

So idk. You mentioned that you checked the exhaust. But this crack was maybe 5mm long. Just a tiny bit of metal rubbing can make a stupid loud noise. I missed it the first time I had my car on a lift looking for the noise. So maybe take a super close look at the exhaust

Edit: You said in the above post the sound isnt a metal on metal sound. Doh! Ignore this then, ha.
      Last edited by rebelxtnut; 05-28-2012 at 09:32 PM.

5. 05-28-2012 09:36 PM #5
      Rebelxt. Interesting. Was your issue that the mount/hangar was cracked or an actual crack in the exhaust itself? I will definitely get the car up again and do some more searching. It's not a metallic sound so I'm not hopeful, but it can't hurt to look.

Edit: ha! Just saw your edit. The search continues

Vehicles
      06 A3 2.0t
      05-28-2012 10:13 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Kitch View Post
      Rebelxt. Interesting. Was your issue that the mount/hangar was cracked or an actual crack in the exhaust itself? I will definitely get the car up again and do some more searching. It's not a metallic sound so I'm not hopeful, but it can't hurt to look.

Edit: ha! Just saw your edit. The search continues
      It was on the hanger at the bottom of the downpipe. The part where it has the two things that stick out towards the front of the car. The downpipe was an aftermarket downpipe, but I assume it could happen on the stock one too.

Ha, yeah. Hope you can find it! Little noises are annoying.