Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Cabrio windows wont' roll up!

Vehicles
      2001 Cabrio
      05-28-2012 05:22 PM #1

I got this car recently and the R/F window was inop, though I do hear a noise when actuating either button. Just yesterday the other three windows failed in the down position and the trunk release is now inop as well. Ordered a CCM off of ebay and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. All the fuses are good and I got the cruise to work about 10 days ago but it has been out since then.
      Also, there is a component mounted on the r/r of the trunk floor that is missing. I located the vacuum pump for the door locks, which are also inop. This car did not come with remote fobs/keys and the drivers door lock cylinder is out so I have no way to lock the doors or enable/shut off the alarm system which went off the other day when I was messing with the door locks. Car runs and drives fine but the windows at least need to be fixed as it is my 100 mile daily commuter car. Any help/insight would be appreciated.
      Lastly, is my 2001 Cabrio a Mk3.5 or what???? This is a 2.0/5-speed car, manual top and climate controls....
      CoNfUsEd!
      Mike T-Beaufort SC

Does anyone know for sure where the CCM is located? Thought I had it but it turned out to be the cruise controler and next to it is some sort of clarion relay???
      Last edited by MrTrimmier; 05-28-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: include engine and gearbox type
      so much for common sense...

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Cabrio
      05-28-2012 09:54 PM #2
      There is a control module built into each of the window motors, according to the wiring diagrams.
      There is a relation with the power door locks (Central Locking System) and the L/F Door window module.

Also the windows feed off each other, L/f supplies R/f and R/f Supplies both back windows.

I suspect the R/F to be bad and causing problems with the rear modules and central door lock system.

I can look into this further for you tomorrow when I'm at work.

Vehicles
      2001 Cabrio
      05-29-2012 11:55 AM #3
      Thanks very much. other 3 windows were working fine until they and the trunk release suddenly went inop. I had suspected a bad regualator/motor for the R/F issue. Now they all make the same faint clicking when any button is pushed....Look forward to hearing from you. Finding the CCM is quite a pain....I have looked under both kick panels, both seats, up in the dash area (removed the cruise module and a "clarion relay" which I assume is for the alarm. This car has manual A/C controls and top. Is it possible I don't have a CCM maybe??? Fuses 13 and 14 under the dash test fine... I still have no idea what is missing out of the R/R of the trunk. Mounts on the floor in front of the vacuum pump for the lock system?????
      Regards
      Mike
      Last edited by MrTrimmier; 05-29-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Cabrio
      05-29-2012 02:17 PM #4
      1. Fuse 14 provides 12 V power to the Central Comfort Module (CCM) J293 which then powers the interior lights. Check the reading, door, dome and trunk lights for a shorted fixture. See if the short goes away when unplugged.

2. The power from the CCM to the lights is output on the 23 pin connector, pin 18 Red/Blue. A quick test to determine if the short is in the light circuit or the CCM, is to cut the Red/Blue wire (somewhere that it can easily be repaired) and see if the fuse continues to blow or not. If the short is gone, then close inspection of the lights and wiring is required.

3. If the short remains, then unplug the 23 pin connector from the CCM. If the short is now gone, the CCM is faulty. If the short remains, there is shorted wiring between the fuse panel and the CCM.
      Tech Tips:
      Should the Central Comfort Module (CCM) J393 require replacement, the new module needs to be coded to the particular vehicle it is installed in and the remotes will need to be re-learned by the new module. There are many possible part numbers which can be difficult to determine by application. The best way to ensure the correct part is obtained is to use the part number (including the letters at the end) from the original module when ordering the replacement.

Check the R/F Door as follows

Remove the door panel to check the door control module powers and grounds as follows:

1. Pin 15 (Red/Yellow) should be 12 volts at all times regardless of ignition switch position.

2. Pin 7 (Black/Yellow) should be 12 volts any time the ignition switch is in the on position.

3. Pin 1 and 6 (Brown) should be a constant good ground.

4. Pin 3 (Green/White) should change from 12 volts to ground as the window control switch passenger side is activated in the up and down positions respectively.

5. Pin 11 (Brown/Blue) should change from 12 volts to ground as the window control switch on the driver's door is activated in the up and down positions respectively.

6. Pins 8 (Green/Red) and 14 (Gray/Red) should not have any voltage to them. These are the inputs from the driver's door lock switch to raise and lower windows with the key.

7. Inspect the wiring at the door hinge area for damage.

the CCM is AKA the Alarm Control Module, keyless entry etc...

It's located Behind the Instrument Panel Left Side
      Black Housing.

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Cabrio
      05-29-2012 02:21 PM #5
      Photobucket

Photobucket

Vehicles
      Original Owner 2002 Cabrio GLX, 1969 Baja Bug
      05-30-2012 07:47 AM #6
      Check the electrical connectors for the doors. The large plugs in the door jam/kick panels. Check both sides.

I've had some very strange/similar electrical issues when they get loose.

They work loose every couple of years (the driver's side more often) and have since the car was new.
      Last edited by BigFatDog; 05-30-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Vehicles
      2001 Cabrio
      06-05-2012 11:44 AM #7
      Thanks very much for the good information folks. I guess the black box in the dash is the CCM for this car so I'll get on on order. Thought it was just for the alarm as the Bentley book was greek to me. Course I just skimmed it. Crazy german schematics.....
      No blown fuses! If the windows dont work at that point i'll pull the door panels and check as above. :0)

It's odd I can fix fix anything that flies electricwise and can't get my windows to work LOL!!!
      regards
      Mike T
      Last edited by MrTrimmier; 06-05-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Vehicles
      2001 Cabrio
      07-29-2012 09:24 PM #8
      FIXED!
      New (used) CCM did not fix my problem. Sent the car to my local auto electric shop. All along my exterior door lock/lock system has been/is still inop. The switch assy had fallen off of the exterior door handle and went to the lock position which rendered the windows inop. The R/F took a motor and regulator to again become operational. Next will be fix the locks/remote and put a clutch in the car. Runs really well. Great work car!
      Regards,
      Mike T

Vehicles
      2001 Cabrio
      07-30-2012 01:42 AM #9
      BTW, our auto elecric wants $180 bucks to program the used window motor. Takes about 7 hits of the button to get it down/up unless it's hot out then it works just like the others. Happy overall!
      Mike
      Last edited by MrTrimmier; 07-30-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Vehicles
      2001 Cabrio
      07-30-2012 10:00 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MrTrimmier View Post
      BTW, our auto elecric wants $180 bucks to program the used window motor. Takes about 7 hits of the button to get it down/up unless it's hot out then it works just like the others.
      Mike
      I'm interested in what you describe here. How does a motor get "programmed"?