Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: quick and simple AR question: difference between Colt 6920 and 6921?

1. 07-09-2012 10:57 PM #26
      Honestly for $12 a pop, I'd just go with PMAGs. I haven't used Brownells or Fusils though.

2. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      07-09-2012 11:15 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Honestly for $12 a pop, I'd just go with PMAGs. I haven't used Brownells or Fusils though.
      I love the Fusil mags. I have turned several friends onto them after their PMAGs were not wanting to drop free. I haven't seen the Brownells ones but might order one or two.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

3. 07-10-2012 11:43 AM #28
      I've heard mixed reviews of the Brownell's mags. NHMTG GI mags with magpul followers and the new Lancer mags are quite popular as more people move away from PMAGS.

4. 07-10-2012 01:19 PM #29
      People only moved away from PMAGs as the prices started to increase. Non-free-dropping PMAGs are first generation magazines (circa 2007-2008 etc.). I have heard brilliant things about the Lancers.

Haven't heard anything about the "new" PMAGs. Non-free-dropping PMAGs can also be easily modified to drop free, so if I saw some of the 1st Gen's being sold in bulk, I'd probably snatch them up. You used to be able to find PMAGs for $80-90 for 10 which was nice...not so any more.

I'll have to collect 2 of each type of AR magazine here in the next year or so, in anticipation of my next purchase.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      07-10-2012 01:23 PM #30
      You seem to forget that Obin doesn't like MagPul... He's just making excuses for not going with their superior magazines.
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

6. 07-10-2012 02:25 PM #31
      You seem to forget that Obin doesn't like MagPul... He's just making excuses for not going with their superior magazines.
      Ah but of course...but isn't this a time for trying new things? He did buy an AR...

7. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 04:39 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Ah but of course...but isn't this a time for trying new things? He did buy an AR...
      ... and a direct impingement one at that.

I have a ton of USGI mag carriers I kept from my Iraq deployment. We didn't have to turn them in when we got to Kuwait. Only the metal mags fit in them and polymers are a tight fit. I also like the metal mags and had no problems with them even in the super dusty talcum powder sand environment of Iraq.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

8. 07-10-2012 06:51 PM #33
      I have 5 brownells mags.. they've always worked fine, though I'm not beating on them.

I also have 2 20rnd pmags and 1 30rnd window pmag.

I like the pmags better... especially the 20 round ones.

9. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-28-2012 10:15 PM #34
      I ordered 3 of these:

http://www.keepshooting.com/enhanced-m16-magazine.html

Strong and Durable

•Magazine body and floor plate heat treated to maintain HRC 53-56 for extreme durability and wear resistance
      •All metal surfaces are finished using Electrophoretic deposition for superior corrosion protection
      •Fully LASER welded front and rear seams for superior strength
      Compatibility

•Precise STANAG compliant dimensions for consistent performance
      •NATO standard anti-tilt follower ensuring 100% reliable LRBHO engagement
      •NATO standard follower, spring, and floor plate ensuring limitless supply of FRU for repair if needed
      Reliability

•Electrophoretic deposition finish infused with Teflon for self lubrication
      •STANAG compliant dimensions for superior fit and function
      •Battle proven anti-tilt follower to ensure reliable feeding
      Construction

•Magazine body is made from steel and is fully heat treated
      •LASER welded front and rear seams
      •LASER engraved "Enhanced Magazine 5.56x45mm"
      •Matte Black non-glare Electrophoretic deposition finish
      With a 35+ year history developing M16 style weapons, the Taiwanese defense industry understands the importance of making quality defense articles. This magazine builds upon the proven track record of manufacturing defense goods that stand up to threats both foreign and domestic. You will be proud to add this quality magazine to your inventory of magazines and it will serve you well.
      I liked them so much I ordered 7 more. They are really nice. They feel as solid as an AK mag and they lock into the Colt 6920 perfectly. Get 'em while they are on sale!

obin

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      08-08-2012 08:15 AM #35
      I know Obin hates MagPul, but I thought I'd share with everyone else:

Magpul M3 Magazine update

While working hard on the set of the Hot Shots 2013 Calendar shoot in Los Angeles last night we got a look at the updated Magpul M3 magazine. Magpul’s Drake Clark was on hand to explain some of the changes to the magazine since it was first revealed at SHOT Show 2012.
      The major stand out in the updated M3 is the updated floor plate that slides on from the front. Instead of designing two floor plates, Magpul will ship the new mag with a floor plate that bridges the gap between the original M3 design we first saw at SHOT and the slim floor plate they intended to offer as an accessory. The new floor plate, as seen in the above photo, has a proper lip to grab onto while still being slim enough to slip in and out of a mag pouch. So for all you shooters who expressed outrage at the thought of having to pay for a slim floor plate, the updated floor plate replaces both earlier versions. There will be no “slim” floor plate.
      In addition to the features of the M3 magazine as listed below, Clark teased one more piece of the M3 magazine that has yet to be seen. He wouldn’t say more, except that it would be a surprise.
      Clark stressed that Magpul used the M3 as an opportunity to push past a simple PMAG update and address every aspect of polymer magazine design from mold flow analysis and material selection to feature development, all with the focus on improved durability and reliability. The M3 moniker will be used to describe a class of products that feature technology Magpul discovered and applied first in the M3 magazine and will be seen in future magazines of different capacity and calibers.
      Other features of the M3 include:

• Newly formulated polymer that is many times stronger than the current PMAG formulation
      • Increased strength results in stronger feed lips and stronger spine
      • HK416, SA80, SCAR and ACR compatibility
      • Overinsertion stop that prevents damage when driving home a full mag on a closed bolt
      • dot matrix for marking
      • Improved ramps above and below the magazine catch
      • Improved grip surface on the front and back of the mag
      • Improved follower and lock plate that interface to under full spring compression to prevent damage or misalignment of follower

The M3 is undergoing final testing and Magpul hopes to have the magazine available for purchase by 4th quarter, 2012. Magpul will continue to produce the PMAG and EMAG alongside the M3 magazine.
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

11. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-08-2012 10:55 AM #36
      I know Obin hates MagPul, but I thought I'd share with everyone else:
      Cliff notes: we couldn't get this basic concept completely right the first two times so here's our latest attempt which will probably be more expensive than our last try.

obin

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      08-08-2012 11:45 AM #37
      Right...

My first gen Pmags are flawless. These new ones are for the funky magwells in Eurotrash AR-pattern rifles.

BTW, is $14 a lot for a magazine? Especially one that hasn't required countless revisions over the last fifty years??
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

13. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-08-2012 06:56 PM #38
      Right...

My first gen Pmags are flawless. These new ones are for the funky magwells in Eurotrash AR-pattern rifles.

BTW, is $14 a lot for a magazine? Especially one that hasn't required countless revisions over the last fifty years??
      $14 isn't a lot in the grand picture. The steel ones I bought were $7.95 each and feel like they should cost twice that. Most importantly they fit perfectly in the USGI triple mag pouch NAN 8465-01-525-0598 (of which I have several). FWIW the 20-round ones that came with the Colt 6920 work fine as well. I like the steel magazines a lot. They lock up perfectly and drop free easily no questions asked. That's all anyone could ask from a mag.

obin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12