Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: High Pitched sound coming from engine bay... water pump?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      05-30-2012 11:37 AM #1
      I posted about this originally in the Ask a Stupid Question thread, but didn't get any responses. After a bit more digging on this site and a few others, the noise I'm hearing seems to be very similar to what other MkV/VI owners experienced as the tell-tale signs of a failing water pump bearing.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t=high+pitched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglZYZ7bZMA

The video is pretty much the exact same sound I have, coming from the same location. It doesn't happen right away after startup, it takes a few minutes and then stays the same level and pitch until the car is shut off.

I'm taking it to the dealer today to see what they think. I'll keep you posted.
      '12 Jetta GLI Platinum Gray

Vehicles
      MK6 .:R
      05-30-2012 03:11 PM #2
      Sounds that way... Keep us posted good luck

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      05-30-2012 03:17 PM #3
      I stopped by the service center, but I'm taking it back tomorrow (very busy). I'll know more then.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      05-30-2012 04:44 PM #4
      I have a sound like that in my 2.5 but it isn't something that occurs every time. When it does happen it usually is subtle at idle and increases in pitch the higher my RPMs go.

It is so intermittent I don't bother to take it in since dealer will just say the usual "it didn't do it with us" bull crap they always say

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      05-30-2012 09:43 PM #5
      When I spoke with the service writer, he described something very similar to yours which he said is vacuum related and more annoying that anything else, not necessarily a problem. When my noise starts, it says pretty much the exact same pitch and volume until I turn off the car. One video I watched related to the water pump showed the pitch changed when you open the cap on the coolant expansion tank. The car was a bit too warm on the way home to try that, but I may do it in the morning before I head to work.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      05-31-2012 09:29 PM #6
      Update: I took the car in at 2pm and the service writer came out to hear the noise. I started up the car and it was quiet for about 15 seconds. I think he was about to say something about not hearing it, and then it started. I had a seat in the waiting area, and about 45 minutes later I was handed a set of keys to a loaner/rental vehicle. They wanted to keep it over night to remove/replace the intake manifold. I mentioned the MkV/early MkVI water pump issue, and the tech said they haven't ruled that out yet either.

Hopefully I'll have more info tomorrow. For now I'm driving a GMC Canyon, which is a giant POS by the way. I'll happily drive my '94 F150 to work tomorrow instead.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      06-01-2012 12:57 PM #7
      I got a call around 0930 this morning that the car was ready to go, and picked it up around noon. The writer explained that they replaced the intake manifold, that an air leak was causing the noise. The valet pulled it around and I didn't immediately hear anything. The engine bay was clean and everything as it should be. I made it about 2 miles down the road and the noise returned. I could even hear it with the windows up and radio on. Not any louder or different that before, just the same. I assume the tech finished the repair, fired it up and didn't hear anything and called it a wrap.

Its going back in on Monday, with another rental waiting for me while they figure things out.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      06-06-2012 01:33 PM #8
      update: I dropped the car off for the second attempt at repair on Monday afternoon. The noise was present when I arrived, so I left it running in the service lane so they could hear it. I handed the service writer the Snap On hose puller I found in the engine bay, and they put me in another rental and sent me home.

I got a call yesterday around 5:00pm stating the car was ready, repairs complete, and that it had been washed and detailed (unnecessary, but ok). The paperwork states something to the effect of unable to replicate the noise, adjusted/reprogrammed some code dealing with the intake manifold, and sent for cleaning. Surprisingly, the noise is no longer present so either they finally decided to listen to me that it was coming from the pump but were unwilling to document it or it mysteriously went away on its on. Regardless, its gone for now and hopefully won't return.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      06-11-2012 01:03 AM #9
      so whats the deal with this? cause i hear it too, im calling the dealer in the morning to set up an appt.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      06-11-2012 06:18 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by flyinbry5 View Post
      so whats the deal with this? cause i hear it too, im calling the dealer in the morning to set up an appt.
      Whatever they did to mine, the sound has not returned. There's another GLI owner on this site (separate thread) that had a similar problem, and his dealership replaced the water pump. Sorry, I don' t have a definitive answer for you. Take it in and let them hear it.

Question for you, how many miles do you have? If this noise is coming on early and going away, it just go away on its own.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      06-11-2012 01:08 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by adamkramerusn View Post
      Whatever they did to mine, the sound has not returned. There's another GLI owner on this site (separate thread) that had a similar problem, and his dealership replaced the water pump. Sorry, I don' t have a definitive answer for you. Take it in and let them hear it.

Question for you, how many miles do you have? If this noise is coming on early and going away, it just go away on its own.
      I have 1200 miles on it, and I hear the noise after the car warms up and stays on until I shut it off. i'm going to have them check it out, they know me very well at the dealer so it wont be a problem.