Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: B1 passat; 4 speed to 5 speed swap (1.6td)

1. 05-30-2012 05:09 PM #1
      First off: i'm dutch, therefore my english isnt that good; but try and bare with me please
      Second after reading tons of information on this great forum;

I am potentially buying this passat, but there are one or two issues with it, the main one being it has a 4 speed transmission at the moment.
      Because of the extremely high fuel costs, and because of the terrible noise (its a GC i think, its probably revving at 4500 at 120/130 kph) it makes, i would like to kwnow what i'd have to do to replace the current 4 speed gearbox for a 5 speed one.

The engine is a 1.6TD.

1. Which gearbox would fit? Problably one of a audi 80?

2. What gearstick unit should i use? (found you could use the old 4 speed.. is this true?)

3. What gearlinkage assembly should i use?

4. The current owner has put a brand new clutch/flywheel/pressureplate in; could this fit in the new gearbox?

5. Is it possible to use the old axles?

6. Will the old starter motor fit?

The car its all about:

Thanks in advance for any answer

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-30-2012 05:16 PM #2
      First of all, welcome! I don't think too many people on here will be able to help. The B3 and B4 Passats have transverse mounted engines, and the earlier models have longitudinal engines. I would think any early VW longitudinal transmission would work. I found a list from a google search for you.

http://www.lunaticfringe.org/vwfox/m...wap-specs.html

As far as the clutch, flywheel, shift linkage and clutch linkage go, I do not know. I do know that all 4cyl VWs until MK5s all have the same bell housing. With the right flywheel and clutch set up you could use a 1.6l motor with a 6 speed 1.8t transmission. It will just take some trial and error for you.

3. 05-30-2012 05:47 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by WasteOfMoney View Post
      First of all, welcome! I don't think too many people on here will be able to help. The B3 and B4 Passats have transverse mounted engines, and the earlier models have longitudinal engines. I would think any early VW longitudinal transmission would work.
      Did notice the b3 b4 title.. but couldnt find the wright place to put this?

I found a list from a google search for you.

http://www.lunaticfringe.org/vwfox/m...wap-specs.html
      Indeed found this site earlier, but forgot that in other countries the name isnt't passat.. but quantum. (or fox instead of golf)

A golf has a transverse engine. 'my' passat has not. So i would think this site is of no use to me?
      Thanks anyway though.

As far as the clutch, flywheel, shift linkage and clutch linkage go, I do not know. I do know that all 4cyl VWs until MK5s all have the same bell housing. With the right flywheel and clutch set up you could use a 1.6l motor with a 6 speed 1.8t transmission. It will just take some trial and error for you.
      6 speed would indeed be great, unfortunately i'm not a mechanic and need a fast en neat swap; need it up and running before my vacation.
      Best case scenario: 1 day of work.. thats what i;m aiming at.

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-30-2012 06:56 PM #4
      A Fox is longitudinal just like your car. The Golf and B3/B4 are transverse.

The 6 speed comment was for reference, to give you an idea on how basic VW kept things

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '96 B4V TDI 5-SPD was auto VR6, '97 B4V GLX, '89 T3 Syncro 16" Doka, etc. etc
      05-31-2012 06:34 AM #5
      It's so much the wrong site but the wrong forum.
      You would be better off on the Dasher (Passat B1)/ Quantum (Passat B2) forum.

As it has been pointed out, the B3 & B4 Passats have transverse drivetrains vs. longitudinal for the B1 & B2. The VW Fox is longitudinal as well but the transmission configuration has some differences to your B1 such as the shifter being incorporated into the console. The 5-speed on the VW Fox was available in the US only after 1993 from what I can recall. The Audi Fox is a closer relative.