Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need a little help building my MS board

Vehicles
      78 Rabbit ABF, 96 GTI VR6, 89 BMW 325i, 91 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
      05-30-2012 06:36 PM #1
      Hey guys. I realize this has most likely been covered on here before. However, you all are usually quite good about helping out on this forum

I'm trying to set up my MS II PCB 3.0 to run distributorless waste spark ignition, using the wheel on the crank for ignition reference. The instructions say more or less to look online for how to set the board up this way so, here I am

I've read that the Ford EDIS or GM DIS systems are easy ways to go, however the ABF enginge I'm working with has a 60-2 wheel on it. Is this a deal breaker? It would be awesome if I could get everything I need in one trip to the junkyard, hence the appeal of the Ford or GM setup.

Anyway, if anyone has any input or helpful links, I would be quite greatful.

Thanks,
      Nick
      RIP: Mk2 jetta (stolen ), Mk4 jetta (side-swiped, totaled ), Mk4 GTI (totaled by teenage girl )

Vehicles
      03 325i
      05-30-2012 10:51 PM #3
      More like msextra.com

I have never run a stock abf sensor but it is supposed to be a hall sensor.

For waste spark with ford or gm dis coils you will need an additional ignition driver.
      -Paul
      1995 GTI VR6 - Retired - 12.90@106 R32 power - 12.833@106 12v power
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Vehicles
      78 Rabbit ABF, 96 GTI VR6, 89 BMW 325i, 91 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
      05-30-2012 11:43 PM #4
      Yeah, it is a hall sensor. As far as I know the ABA's VR sensor fits and is a lot easier to come by in the states, so I planned to use this part instead.

Is this as simple as wiring in the VR tach input as layed out in the assembly instructions, then using the wheel decoder tool in the extra firmware? If so, can I use more or less any waste spark coilpack that doesn't have a separate module?

I was a lot more up to date on this stuff a couple years ago when I was very actively working on this project. I'm just now trying to get back to it and can't seem to find all the notes I'd written.
      RIP: Mk2 jetta (stolen ), Mk4 jetta (side-swiped, totaled ), Mk4 GTI (totaled by teenage girl )

Vehicles
      03 325i
      05-31-2012 12:24 PM #5
      Yes vr circuit for the input. You can use amplified coils but you need different mods depending on which ones you choose.
      -Paul
      1995 GTI VR6 - Retired - 12.90@106 R32 power - 12.833@106 12v power
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning
      MK3 Race Car Partout