Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen seriously considering Amarok pickup for Canada

Vehicles
      03 Bora Variant 1.8T, 07 Golf 2.5, 08 Polo 9n3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan S 6mt
      05-31-2012 03:15 PM #1
      Full-size pickups continue to rule the sales roost in North America, and there frankly hasn't been much action in the small and midsize segment to generate new interest. Ford finally put its Ranger out to pasture, the Ram Dakota is gone and a Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon replacement has a ways to go before it hits the market. The category's remaining imports – Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier and Honda Ridgeline – aren't exactly fresh, and the long-promised Mahindra model hasn't exactly worked out. But surely there still has to be a market for a smaller, fully modern pickup, right?

"Bottom line? We are very interested, but are proceeding very slowly and very cautiously."

Apparently Volkswagen thinks there might be. Autoblog has learned that VW is seriously investigating selling its handsome Amarok pickup in Canada. According to Thomas Tetzlaff, Media Relations Manager at VW of Canada, the German automaker is "presently in the 'evaluation stage,' where we are pouring over data with a fine-toothed comb. Bottom line? We are very interested, but are proceeding very slowly and very cautiously."

Thanks to a number of tipsters, Autoblog has discovered that VWoC is actively discussing the Amarok with its dealer body, which in turn has been gauging customer interest in the truck. Tetzlaff confirms: "Yes, we have had discussions with our dealers and they have given us some very positive feedback. The challenge is to justify the project 'on our own'." Past history suggests that VW's Canadian arm is up to the challenge – as recently as 2009, VWoC offered the Golf and Jetta City models without an equivalent U.S. model.

This suggests that VW is considering importing a TDI diesel model.

Tetzlaff would not confirm which cab styles and powertrain options are under consideration, but he did say, "The powertrain solution would certainly give Canadian buyers a real alternative in the light pickup market." This suggests that VW is considering importing a TDI diesel model. At present, VW builds the Amarok with one of three diesel powertrains in Argentina, offering 138-177 horsepower and 250-310 pound-feet of torque. The Amarok is assembled in both single and double-cab configurations with either rear- or four-wheel drive and is sold in South America, Europe, Russia, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

While sounding optimistic about the Amarok's chances, Tetzlaff cautioned, "Our desire to bring such a product to market needs to be balanced with a strong business case. The costs we would need to incur in order to import the vehicle need to be factored into the equation and they are not insubstantial... the project is nowhere near a 'green light' just yet."

And what about here in the States? VW spokesman Mark Gillies: "VW of America has absolutely no plans to sell the current version of the Amarok in the U.S."

Amarok by Marceau R, on Flickr

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/31/v...share_facebook

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      05-31-2012 03:26 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by EUROBORA8V View Post
      And what about here in the States? VW spokesman Mark Gillies: "VW of America has absolutely no plans to sell the current version of the Amarok in the U.S."
      That's unfortunate. The Amarok would likely be the only VW that I could see myself buying new. I like the t-reg TDI, but because of how much they blew up the price on those, I'd only go for a used version.

And yes, I get the reasons why VW wouldn't sell the amarokm here: Ford F150, chevy silverado, and Ram 1500 are the 3 most convincing reasons. But that still doesn't mean I wouldn't be one of the 8 people in the US to buy one! And only after 2-3 years of being offered in the US.

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 03:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      That's unfortunate. The Amarok would likely be the only VW that I could see myself buying new. I like the t-reg TDI, but because of how much they blew up the price on those, I'd only go for a used version.

And yes, I get the reasons why VW wouldn't sell the amarokm here: Ford F150, chevy silverado, and Ram 1500 are the 3 most convincing reasons. But that still doesn't mean I wouldn't be one of the 8 people in the US to buy one! And only after 2-3 years of being offered in the US.
      I could not agree more. I think that VW could make a hell of a case with this car here. I keep hearing that Amaroks beats Nissan Navara/Pathfinder truck in almost everything. Nissans Diesel is more powerful but we dont get it in the States so that is irrelevant.

P.S. Lucky Canadians!

4. 05-31-2012 03:30 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post

Well, he did say "Current version in the United states". So, from that I deduce that they're working on a modified version for the United states as it more than likely have to pass some safety and emission standards.

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.0TQM
      05-31-2012 03:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      Well, he did say "Current version in the United states". So, from that I deduce that they're working on a modified version for the United states as it more than likely have to pass some safety and emission standards.
      it's something called the chicken tax someone posted that a few days ago. awesome if it did come to Canada though. but I don't need a truck

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 03:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by SoNgMaN View Post
      it's something called the chicken tax someone posted that a few days ago. awesome if it did come to Canada though. but I don't need a truck
      Assembly at the new Chata..... cant say it, factory would get rid of the Chicken Tax.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-31-2012 03:38 PM #7
      The chicken tax is just a bad excuse. Nissan/Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi all figured out ways around it (and brought jobs to the US) ... VW just doesn't care much for that. They only really want to build the USDM Passat here.

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 03:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      The chicken tax is just a bad excuse. Nissan/Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi all figured out ways around it (and brought jobs to the US) ... VW just doesn't care much for that. They only really want to build the USDM Passat here.
      Good point

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.0TQM
      05-31-2012 03:48 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      yes they could build it there that would get around the chicken tax

10. 05-31-2012 03:49 PM #10
      yawn. bring the UP!

..but that probably wont reach the margins they're after.
      --
      2007 – FF, 5 cyl, 20V NA Silver – The Tractor
      1986 – MR, 4 cyl, 20V ITB Red – The Weed Whacker

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-31-2012 03:50 PM #11
      That was my point ... it's just an excuse ... the chicken tax hasn't prevented any company that wanted to sell a truck here from selling a truck here. It's just one more in a long list of cars that VW won't import because they just don't think it's worth it. I'd give them more credit if they just came out and said, "The US market is terrible, now go f*ck yourselves."

Vehicles
      '06 Outback 3.0R; '89 Sierra K2500
      05-31-2012 03:54 PM #12
      I will believe it when I see it.

Given my current needs, an Amarok would be a better choice than my GTI, provided:

1. TDI (they would bring the most powerful version here, I assume)
      2. realistic price (comparable to Tacoma)
      3. full-time 4WD (if they are going to bring it to Canada only, might as well give it a useful 4WD option for our weather conditions!)
      4. 4-door with useful bed, i.e. 6'

In other words: not gonna happen.

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 03:57 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      I will believe it when I see it.

Given my current needs, an Amarok would be a better choice than my GTI, provided:

1. TDI (they would bring the most powerful version here, I assume)
      2. realistic price (comparable to Tacoma)
      3. full-time 4WD (if they are going to bring it to Canada only, might as well give it a useful 4WD option for our weather conditions!)
      4. 4-door with useful bed, i.e. 6'

In other words: not gonna happen.

And to add to that, quite a few choices of canopies for that car. If we are talking about a perfect vehicle.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-31-2012 04:03 PM #14
      I know about a half dozen people just who I work with who'd be interested... Probably a couple of them would buy one.

Lot of truck guys out there who are sick and tired of 15L/100kms fuel mileage (or worse) (it's about 15mpg for your Americans) when they just want a nice ride to work, to own a truck, and to occasionally use the bed. There are tons of guy who will not own anything but a truck (it's their image) but would be willing to switch brands if someone offered a small diesel.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-31-2012 04:52 PM #15
      I'd like to see it, but I don't see it happening.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      05-31-2012 05:06 PM #16
      Is love to see it in the US. I drive a Sierra not because I need the capacity but because it was a better deal than the current mid size offerings. If one of them offered a diesel it would change everything.

I wonder how VW would fair if they built an SUV body on this platform to make a 4runner Pathfinder fighter. Or has the cross over killed the bof SUV?
      11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

05-31-2012 05:06 PM #17
      What does a VW Media Relations Manager know about deciding to bring a product into any country?

And what does the Amorok name mean? A moose dancing against the wind before it gets hit by a Ford pick up?

05-31-2012 05:12 PM #18
      Then they would loss some production capacity at existing plants for whatever more popular selling models currently being built or in the near future.

If Nissan/Toyota need to rely on shared production facilies I don't see the business case VW to go it alone with an all new factory just to produce a light pickup stateside.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-31-2012 05:25 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
      Is love to see it in the US. I drive a Sierra not because I need the capacity but because it was a better deal than the current mid size offerings. If one of them offered a diesel it would change everything.

I wonder how VW would fair if they built an SUV body on this platform to make a 4runner Pathfinder fighter. Or has the cross over killed the bof SUV?
      They are a dying bread.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      05-31-2012 05:43 PM #20
      so without the costs to federalize this vehicle, VW can sell enough units in canada to make a buck......again, WTF is up with our gov't.

this is just more proof that NHTSA and DOT, and EPA have so f'd up this country with over-regulating and "protecting us from ourselves" that global companies can be MORE competative in NEW ZELAND than in the USA.

Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

21. 05-31-2012 05:54 PM #21
      I would be tickled pink if this happened. It would qualify as my new DD provided it arrives with the diesel and 4x4.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 24V VR6
      05-31-2012 06:00 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      so without the costs to federalize this vehicle, VW can sell enough units in canada to make a buck......again, WTF is up with our gov't.

this is just more proof that NHTSA and DOT, and EPA have so f'd up this country with over-regulating and "protecting us from ourselves" that global companies can be MORE competative in NEW ZELAND than in the USA.

My guess would be they would be offering it with a diesel already available here... Possibly the T-reg? I don't see the Jetta TDI being adequate...

This probably ties back to the laws we changed in 2008ish that changed the bumper rules and made it much easier (or just possible) to import things like MR2, GTO, etc into Canada.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-31-2012 06:05 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by [spoon] View Post
      My guess would be they would be offering it with a diesel already available here... Possibly the T-reg? I don't see the Jetta TDI being adequate...

This probably ties back to the laws we changed in 2008ish that changed the bumper rules and made it much easier (or just possible) to import things like MR2, GTO, etc into Canada.
      I don't think pickups ever had to pass the bumper regulation anyway. Many of the regs simply don't apply pickups and MPVs so the Amarok would be easier to import than a passenger car from that perspective.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-31-2012 06:07 PM #24
      VW would have to be very confident they would sell enough Amaroks in North America to make the necessary investment in Tennessee. I doubt that's the case.

05-31-2012 06:07 PM #25

Larry, you are getting more insane by the day. Stop watching Fox News... it is rotting your brain

This has nothing to do with regulation. EPA reg is real but not the reason VW won't sell the truck here. The reason is the same why Ford doesn't import the T6 Ranger... the 25% tariff (chicken tax) on trucks. The 2.0 TDI engine is already EPA compliant so the cost to Federalize Amarok would be pretty minimal. But the import duty makes none of this viable. If the midsize truck market was a lot bigger, then both VW and Ford would build the truck here (or in Mexico) but that's not the case so no amount your angry fist shaking at imagined Govt boogieman is going to change that.
      Last edited by bzcat; 05-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.

26. 05-31-2012 06:11 PM #26
      Hi Mr VW Canada, if you read TCL I would like to send you a cheque for the "Inuit Wolf"! Please show the other manufacturers that North America needs a 3/4 size diesel truck with full sized truck capabilities.

Thank You.

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      05-31-2012 06:13 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Larry, you are getting more insane by the day. Stop watching Fox News... it is rotting your brain

This has nothing to do with regulation. EPA reg is real but not the reason VW won't sell the truck here. The reason is the same why Ford doesn't import the T6 Ranger... the 25% tariff (chicken tax) on trucks. The 2.0 TDI engine is already EPA compliant so the cost to Federalize Amarok would be pretty minimal. But the import duty makes none of this viable. If the midsize truck market was a lot bigger, then both VW and Ford would build the truck here (or in Mexico) but that's not the case so no amount your angry fist shaking at imagined Govt boogieman is going to change that.
      I think.

then why not do what GM did with the Chevy Luv or subaru with the brat??? partial build, install seats to change the 'configuration".

there are cheap and easy ways around the chicken tax if that is the ONLY reason. I'd hate to believe the revenue per unit to ship a unit to NZ is so little that they can still sell them there....for goodness sake, how many of these can VW sell there a year and STILL make a profit???
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

05-31-2012 06:14 PM #28
      where do I sign up ?

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 24V VR6
      05-31-2012 06:15 PM #29
      As a side note......
      If this was brought to Canada what's to say that they're not flipped after being driven for a couple thousand KM and sold in the US?

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 323i Touring and '98 BMW 523i Touring
      05-31-2012 06:18 PM #30
      I parked next to an Amarok the other day.

My impression ws that for an european pickup truck it's rather big but it still looks 'sleek'. It really looks good. I'd drive it.
      www.tiefundbreit.com - The blog about German car culture and all things low and wide.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      05-31-2012 06:21 PM #31
      I think.

then why not do what GM did with the Chevy Luv or subaru with the brat??? partial build, install seats to change the 'configuration".
      Isnt that what Ford does with the Transit Connect?

I would love one but could never afford one. Even used, to be in the window where I would be willing to buy one, it would have to be higher mileage.

05-31-2012 06:35 PM #32
      I think.

there are cheap and easy ways around the chicken tax if that is the ONLY reason. I'd hate to believe the revenue per unit to ship a unit to NZ is so little that they can still sell them there....for goodness sake, how many of these can VW sell there a year and STILL make a profit???
      VW can sell it in New Zealand because mid-trim level Toyota Hilux or Ford Ranger cost NZ$50k (about $38k). Here you can buy a nicely equipped Tundra or F-150 for $38k. So draw your own conclusions...

The partial build option no longer exists because US Customs no longer treat class 3 and below truck cab/chassis as vehicle parts. The only way you can skirt the tax is enclose the entire cargo area and install seats (what Ford does with Transit Connect), or assemble it here (what Daimler did with Sprinter). Obviously, if you enclose the entire cargo area on the Amarok, it becomes a SUV and is no longer a pickup truck. And if assemble it here, the capital investment goes way up.

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 06:48 PM #33
      VW can sell it in New Zealand because mid-trim level Toyota Hilux or Ford Ranger cost NZ$50k (about $38k). Here you can buy a nicely equipped Tundra or F-150 for $38k. So draw your own conclusions...

The partial build option no longer exists because US Customs no longer treat class 3 and below truck cab/chassis as vehicle parts. The only way you can skirt the tax is enclose the entire cargo area and install seats (what Ford does with Transit Connect), or assemble it here (what Daimler did with Sprinter). Obviously, if you enclose the entire cargo area on the Amarok, it becomes a SUV and is no longer a pickup truck. And if assemble it here, the capital investment goes way up.
      What he said

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      05-31-2012 07:10 PM #34
      I can't seem to find a different cab configuration other than the 4 full size door one with that short box. I can't imagine these being used as work trucks tbh.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      05-31-2012 07:12 PM #35
      His point was that New Zealand (along with 50-ish other countries) is a signatory of the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations, but the US is not. The chicken tax is a real burden, but beyond that it still means a manufacturer has to build to different standards just to sell a car in the US. That's the regulation he is complaining about, and it is a valid complaint.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast