Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: What would cause the clutch line to blow off?

Vehicles
      2001.5 Audi S4 - Banana
      05-31-2012 06:38 PM #1
      So I went to start my B5 S4 about a week ago, and the clutch just goes straight to the floor, the clutch line blew off, and all the clutch fluid leaked out. I had my clutch completely replaced less than 8 months and 2,000 miles ago. The shop removed the transmission to see if it was something in there, and it was not. They seem to be completely stumped, and have ordered a new slave cylinder and other parts to bench test to see if a current part has gone bad. Would you guys have any more insight?

I may not have explained it the best, but my last conversation with the shop regarding what actually happened was a week ago, and I've only received updates about what it isn't. Also, do I have recourse on the warranted work, or does this sound like something they didn't touch is causing the issue?

Also, as another FYI, my clutch pivot broke about a month ago when attempting to start the car, so I'm assuming something is causing the stress, and the weakest point in the system is breaking.

Pic of the pivot that broke...

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      05-31-2012 06:42 PM #2
      How much do you weigh? Do you stand on the clutch?

Vehicles
      2001.5 Audi S4 - Banana
      05-31-2012 06:45 PM #3
      I weigh like 190, and no I do not stand on it. I've been driving stick for 10 years, and actually learned on the same model car I have now.

Vehicles
      1974 MGB (Chrome Bumpers); 2012 VW GTI; 2013 Fiat 500 Pop
      05-31-2012 07:25 PM #4
      **** happens on 11 year old cars?

or they f'd up. Either way.
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

Vehicles
      Don't you know I sold them all...
      05-31-2012 07:28 PM #5
      chalk it up to a crappy/old slave cyl.
      Quote Originally Posted by Amsterdam087 View Post
      its not your car...

Vehicles
      2001.5 Audi S4 - Banana
      06-01-2012 12:59 PM #6
      I believe he said he checked the slave cylinder and did not see any issue...i was hoping it would be something gone wrong with their install so I'd be off the hook, but I guess that was wishful thinking.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      06-01-2012 01:06 PM #7
      I had something similar where ancillary clutch system parts were breaking in my '84 Accord. The first symptom was when the clutch cable snapped so I had it replaced and adjusted by a local import shop. It was fine for a few days, but then the new cable stretched out and I could no longer shift without grinding gears.

Somewhere along the line I tried pressing the clutch with my right leg and was amazed at the amount of effort required to get it down — my left leg had just gotten used to it. I took it back to the shop and they were kind of stumped, so they dug a little deeper and discovered that the pressure plate had come apart. After a clutch job all was back to normal.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio