Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Center Cap Removal

Vehicles
      2008 6spd TR GTI
      05-31-2012 06:49 PM #1
      Anybody have ideas on how to remove center caps without removing the wheels? I'd hate to have to take the wheels off. I saw a youtube video where a guy put some 3M velcro tape on the center cap and then pulled them off with pliers, but that didn't work for me?

Any suggestions?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2006 Volkswagen GLI.[Past: '83 Datsun 280zx, '96 Honda Prelude, '97 Eagle Talon Tsi]
      05-31-2012 06:58 PM #2
      just take off the wheels.Taking off the wheels is far from hard so why risk scratching your wheels? Personally I'd rather spend the extra time to get them off, than gain the added frustration from scratching my wheel cause i was lazy.
      18x8.5 VMR VB3, 8380 Laboratories Coilovers//Stage II (DEI Wrapped Autotech Intake,Techtonics Tuning Downpipe, GIAC Tune), New South Gauge & Vent Pod//Euro Switch, Euro GTI Front Lip, Euro Tails (Rear Fog Enabled), Painted Yellow FTP bulbs, Color Matched side markers Timeline

Vehicles
      2008 6spd TR GTI
      05-31-2012 07:00 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by illuder83 View Post
      just take off the wheels.Taking off the wheels is far from hard so why risk scratching your wheels? Personally I'd rather spend the extra time to get them off, than gain the added frustration from scratching my wheel cause i was lazy.
      It's not like I'm going to pry them off with a flat head screwdriver. Just asking for suggestions that would save me the trouble of taking off the wheels.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 jetta wolfsburg / honda V65
      05-31-2012 07:17 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by NJRe1dGTI View Post
      It's not like I'm going to pry them off with a flat head screwdriver. Just asking for suggestions that would save me the trouble of taking off the wheels.
      No way wheels gotta come off

Sent from my ice cream powered Evo 3D!
      Vag-Com Red Hook NY
      I lift things up & put them down
      Drty Euro / MKV Jetta parts For Sale!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      trannies are like girls... you cant force things into em...
      if you do, bad things happen!

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      05-31-2012 07:19 PM #5
      Welded dent puller.
      Replica wheels are like fake boobs. They look good on the outside, but when it comes to quality, Nothing beats the real thing.
      Instagram: BriarGW
      YOLO is GAY
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Mkv View Post
      Low and slow my friend.

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI - Manual / 1998 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6 - Manual
      05-31-2012 07:29 PM #6
      suction cups?

hot glue and a stick?

trim removal tool?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2006 Volkswagen GLI.[Past: '83 Datsun 280zx, '96 Honda Prelude, '97 Eagle Talon Tsi]
      05-31-2012 07:29 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by NJRe1dGTI View Post
      oh i figured you wouldn't use a screw driver, that'd be crazy. but still taking off wheels is unbelievably easy to do. I seriously doubt you'll be able to take them off safely without taking the wheels off anyways. so why try an cut corners, just take off the wheels. i am willing to bet that the time it took you to think about ways to take off the caps without removing the wheel, searching google, watching that video, making a post of Vortex, waiting and reading the responses.... you could of been at least half way done taking them off the normal way

I'm just givin ya a hard time, but seriously though, the oem caps are pretty secure, the wheels in that video looked pretty cheap and that's why they popped out with ease like that. i doubt you'd be able to pull them off without taking off the wheels
      18x8.5 VMR VB3, 8380 Laboratories Coilovers//Stage II (DEI Wrapped Autotech Intake,Techtonics Tuning Downpipe, GIAC Tune), New South Gauge & Vent Pod//Euro Switch, Euro GTI Front Lip, Euro Tails (Rear Fog Enabled), Painted Yellow FTP bulbs, Color Matched side markers Timeline

Vehicles
      2008 6spd TR GTI
      05-31-2012 07:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by illuder83 View Post
      oh i figured you wouldn't use a screw driver, that'd be crazy. but still taking off wheels is unbelievably easy to do. I seriously doubt you'll be able to take them off safely without taking the wheels off anyways. so why try an cut corners, just take off the wheels. i am willing to bet that the time it took you to think about ways to take off the caps without removing the wheel, searching google, watching that video, making a post of Vortex, waiting and reading the responses.... you could of been at least half way done taking them off the normal way

I'm just givin ya a hard time, but seriously though, the oem caps are pretty secure, the wheels in that video looked pretty cheap and that's why they popped out with ease like that. i doubt you'd be able to pull them off without taking off the wheels
      Damn you for giving good advice!

Point taken. Thanks

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      05-31-2012 07:33 PM #9
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      2008 6spd TR GTI
      05-31-2012 07:34 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post