Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: cel for #3 o2 sensor heater circuit on cbfa

Vehicles
      1998 VW Jetta, 1967 Buick Sportwagon, 1972 Plymouth Valiant 4dr (F/S), 2009 VW Jetta GLI
      05-31-2012 10:10 PM #1
      hi, i have a cbfa engine with a 3" catless dp and i have a 42dd o2 sensor spacer on sensor #3 and i had been fine up untill a couple months ago. the cel comes and goes. i have no idea whats going on with it. i had the dp on for about 5 months with nothing wrong untill now. i figured id adjust the position of the spacer a bit and installed one on sensor #2 as well, but still the cel returns. it sometimes goes away by itself while driving or after a few drive cycles and itll come back while driving or at the begining of a new drive cycle. its baffling me. maybe the sensor is covered with carbon and needs to be cleaned? i sea foamed my engine, but doubt that had any kind of effect, negative or positive. any ideas?

Vehicles
      mk5 tsi hatchback
      06-01-2012 09:59 AM #2
      Have you checked the codes? if its a p420 then its an issue with the downpipe spacers etc but I for example had the same issue with a CEL that was on and off like yours, ended up being a p2096 which was due to an exhaust leak.

A few of us on here have been going through the growing pains of trying to figure how to defeat the p420 CEL but you may also find some other useful info in here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...CEL-Fix-Thread

The CBFA motor is very finicky and loves to throw codes.

Vehicles
      2003 X5 3.0i 5SPD, 07 SV1Ks
      06-01-2012 11:00 AM #3
      i've found that these "heater circuit" codes on the o2s usually mean the sensor is bad, either the wires get twisted or kinked and something goes wrong when we are uninstalling downpipes and moving the sensors around. i had an o2 replaced when my exhaust first went on the car for something similar.
      Quote Originally Posted by Senor Pelligro
      It's a car for a fashion forward, style conscious guy that's always looking for the season's hottest accessory. A guy that watches Project Runway, reads TMZ, and drinks Cosmos.

It's simply fabulous, sweetie.

Vehicles
      1998 VW Jetta, 1967 Buick Sportwagon, 1972 Plymouth Valiant 4dr (F/S), 2009 VW Jetta GLI
      06-02-2012 09:31 AM #4
      ricky bobby, i wonder if my issue is due to what you mentioned about twisted and kinked wires. when i re-adjusted mine, the wire was twisted and kinked pretty tight, but it only started to throw codes after it had been that way roughly 5 months. kinda weird. wonder why its only a problem just now.