Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 97 jetta guage issues help

Vehicles
      B5, mk3 jetta(traded), 89 Jetta
      05-31-2012 10:27 PM #1
      ok so a while back my cluster went haywire. atleast i think it did. it reset the miles to 0, no tach, the clock counts to 2400 and goes to zero the oil light blinks all the time ad the code 1002 blinks in my mileage counter wen the car is started.

now my speedo is off the faster i go so i ordered a new one. ive scanned my car wit a obd2 full diagnostic scanner and no sensors are ad on my car.

now i tried replacing my cluster. the one i bought was from an early mk3, only has the miles script and not all the other goodies a early mk3 has like fuel mpg ect. it still blinks the code and the oil light still links but no speedo, my buddy ssaid i may need the cluster harness from an early one but it will still work.

anyways has any one ever had this issue? could it all be caused by the vss?
      My DD: B5 turbo, test pipe, full 2 1/2" exhaust with borla muffler, koni str.t with lowering spring, falken rubber. hps t.i.p. k&n intake, Dual Piston BOV
      http://www.wideopentuning.com/

2. 06-01-2012 12:01 AM #2
      I've had to replace 2 clusters and I made sure the cluster was the same obd as the one that went bad. If you have a 97 car I'd get a obd2 cluster. .. I'm guessing there is a bunch of info here to find about it.
      Longmont area.
      86 4000s
      99 Audi A4

Vehicles
      '97 Jetta GLX VR6
      06-01-2012 03:05 AM #3
      Im having a similar problem in my 97 GLX.. The speedometer cuts out all the time, but my speed censor is good according to the scan tool i used to check it. Also sometimes all of the gauges will work, sometimes all will work except the speedometer, and if i hit it it will work sometimes.. does it sound like a bad connection or is the entire cluster going out?

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 05:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by joe jr. View Post
      I've had to replace 2 clusters and I made sure the cluster was the same obd as the one that went bad. If you have a 97 car I'd get a obd2 cluster. .. I'm guessing there is a bunch of info here to find about it.
      in theory that would be ideal yes, but a good buddy who knows about wiring said the obd1 cluster will work, atleast the one i purchased. it has the same functions as my obd2 one, he did say tho i may need the wiring pig tail fro the fuse block to the cluster tho. the only differance in the clusters i bought and current are ones bubbled up. the early style an mines flat faced. other than that nothing differs.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle VW View Post
      Im having a similar problem in my 97 GLX.. The speedometer cuts out all the time, but my speed censor is good according to the scan tool i used to check it. Also sometimes all of the gauges will work, sometimes all will work except the speedometer, and if i hit it it will work sometimes.. does it sound like a bad connection or is the entire cluster going out?
      i would try and get a cluster to test it. and try replacing the vss also. just cause it tests good once doesnt mean its not bad. happened on my old honda

i got a little more info on my blinking code. buddy said to unplug my battery terminals to clear my ecu of the service code.

my vss is in the mail and i awaiting its arrival between monday and thursday.
      My DD: B5 turbo, test pipe, full 2 1/2" exhaust with borla muffler, koni str.t with lowering spring, falken rubber. hps t.i.p. k&n intake, Dual Piston BOV

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 06:20 PM #5
      ok update;

got my new vss is the mail and installed today. speedometer is still off. it registers but shows a slower mph than im actually going

any ideas on this would be helpfull.

also the cluster i purchased seems to e the same one as my current one has the same date codes o top as well but wont register and speeds.

tach is also still not working