Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to throw in the towel?

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      06-01-2012 11:33 AM #26
      Don't watch cable news channels and you'll be much less worried. BBC News and NPR for me, along with Al Jazeera when something's going on overseas (they have an excellent stream).
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

2. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      06-01-2012 11:37 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      You've obviously missed the very important postings of vwtool, OG, and tiggy.
      That list is too small.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      06-01-2012 11:38 AM #28
      Do people really get this sucked in and upset by watching the news? I truly don't get it. The news is there to scare the crap out of you so you keep watching. Of course they're not going to report that people are working, falling in love and living long, productive lives. What would that do for ratings?

Some of you guys...

Vehicles
      '07 Jetta 2.0t
      06-01-2012 11:46 AM #29

but

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      06-01-2012 11:49 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      That list is too small.
      How much time do you have?
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      06-01-2012 11:49 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by ModestGirl View Post
      But throw in the towel? You should never be without a towel.

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      06-01-2012 12:14 PM #32
      In a world of bigger, better, faster, stronger, people will always want more when they know its coming around the corner. Why? Greed, people cannot leave “good enough” alone. Like some say “If it aint broke, don’t fix it!”
      The smart will make it, and the stupid will abuse it, break it, then want more.
      I see a split in intelligence: It easier to let the ball roll down with gravity than to roll it uphill to see what’s beyond. Since when was it so damn hard Intelligence and stupidity are both growing in amplitude, no room for the mediocre guy.
      Kids/youth are going downhill. Look at who they idolize: rappers/musicians/entertainers. They see it as an easy way to make money. Thanks to innovation and technology, musicians are spreading their image around the world in seconds. Kids are idolizing these people who have material things and want it. They aren't creative or imaginative enough to keep it exciting, so they break it than want bigger, better. Why are kids no longer creative? IPods, IPhones, Smartphones. We're giving kids these toys too early in life. Parents lost initiative to stop their kids from crying/screaming, so we shove a big bright screen in their face from an early age. They are de-sensitized, and lack social skills they would rather rot their brain on YouTube than go outside and play. I have a stepson who was raised decently, but if I have my own son, I’m going to make sure he doesn’t end up like the little monsters of today. Adults do this too, we are so damn connected to cellphones/mp3’s that we are losing basic social skills. You’re walking down the street or on the bus/train, BAM on goes the headphones escaping from the world. Because I was on a no music day yesterday, I made a friend who speaks fluent Dutch, is willing to help me with mine, and learned about a few good restaurants around here. I love my music, but some days I keep the headphones off to observe people and talk with them.
      So all of you fat/lazy people & tools of society: hug a nerd, they make everything easier for you.

8. Junior Member
      06-01-2012 12:23 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 4-Dr-W-a-T View Post
      In a world of bigger, better, faster, stronger, people will always want more when they know its coming around the corner. Why? Greed, people cannot leave “good enough” alone. Like some say “If it aint broke, don’t fix it!”
      I see a split in intelligence: It easier to let the ball roll down with gravity than to roll it uphill to see what’s beyond. Since when was it so damn hard Intelligence and stupidity are both growing in amplitude, no room for the mediocre guy.
      Kids/youth are going downhill. Look at who they idolize: rappers/musicians/entertainers. They see it as an easy way to make money. Thanks to innovation and technology, musicians are spreading their image around the world in seconds. Kids are idolizing these people who have material things and want it. They aren't creative or imaginative enough to keep it exciting, so they break it than want bigger, better. Why are kids no longer creative? IPods, IPhones, Smartphones. We're giving kids these toys too early in life. Parents lost initiative to stop their kids from crying/screaming, so we shove a big bright screen in their face from an early age. They are de-sensitized, and lack social skills they would rather rot their brain on YouTube than go outside and play. I have a stepson who was raised decently, but if I have my own son, I’m going to make sure he doesn’t end up like the little monsters of today. Adults do this too, we are so damn connected to cellphones/mp3’s that we are losing basic social skills. You’re walking down the street or on the bus/train, BAM on goes the headphones escaping from the world. Because I was on a no music day yesterday, I made a friend who speaks fluent Dutch, is willing to help me with mine, and learned about a few good restaurants around here. I love my music, but some days I keep the headphones off to observe people and talk with them.
      So all of you fat/lazy people & tools of society: hug a nerd, they make everything easier for you.
      X 100,000,000,000,000,000

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 12:28 PM #34
      Oh my God. This is the worst post ever.

You do realize every generation says this exact same thing about its succeeding generation, right?

Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 05 Volvo S40, 07 Honda VFR Interceptor
      06-01-2012 12:38 PM #35

I think your rant misses. I agree it's somewhat the parents fault in the way you raise your kid, however it's not ipods, youtube, or phones that ruin anyone and it's not the "smart kids" that fix it or make it better. What's needed is a strong moral foundation instilled at a early age. A clear understanding of right from wrong. Being decent & productive vs being selfish & lazy.
      As stated, the things occurring in the news are nothing new. Desperation can do a lot to a person especially if the person is mentally sick/deranged.

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bluetec, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      06-01-2012 12:43 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by CodeMan View Post
      This is exactly why you should have children. How else will you make it better?
      and lots of them. because honestly the people breeding the most are usually people who shouldnt be breeding at all...

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      06-01-2012 12:44 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post

You do realize every generation says this exact same thing about its succeeding generation, right?
      That is your opinion.

Or maybe every generation complains like this for a reason?

Maybe it IS becoming worse and worse to deal with, each coming generation...

And you used the Lord's name in vain.... tisk tisk.

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      06-01-2012 12:47 PM #38
      When life gets you down, kill yourself.

*waits for ban*
      Free Patrikman 2015. #letmypeoplego

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      06-01-2012 12:47 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Fortunate4now View Post
      I think your rant misses. I agree it's somewhat the parents fault in the way you raise your kid, however it's not ipods, youtube, or phones that ruin anyone and it's not the "smart kids" that fix it or make it better. What's needed is a strong moral foundation instilled at a early age. A clear understanding of right from wrong. Being decent & productive vs being selfish & lazy.
      As stated, the things occurring in the news are nothing new. Desperation can do a lot to a person especially if the person is mentally sick/deranged.
      I agree with you, thank you for giving a better "direction"

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      06-01-2012 12:51 PM #40
      This world seems ****ed. I'm still young, but I don't see myself bringing kids into this world. There is already little opportunity in America for me, let alone my children. So yeah, maybe I'd have a child but it wouldn't be when I'm at a stage in my life like I am now.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 12:53 PM #41

And usually they are right

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 12:55 PM #42
      That is your opinion.

Or maybe every generation complains like this for a reason?

Maybe it IS becoming worse and worse to deal with, each coming generation...

And you used the Lord's name in vain.... tisk tisk.
      But is it, really?

A generation ago, I could've been killed in the street for holding hands with my fiancee. A generation ago, I would've been barred from the best schools in my district on account of race.

A generation ago doctors recommended smoking for its health benefits.

A hundred years ago surgeons didn't wash their hands before cutting people open.

Seventy years ago people got polio.

Hundreds of years ago people that sickness dealt with humors and "bad blood."

Old people just like to bitch and moan about the prior generation because that's what people do as they age. Perhaps the only generation that should've been bitched at for being huge turds were the Baby Boomers, but the Boomers' parents were too busy working to let their children know how much they sucked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
      And usually they are right
      No, they're usually wrong and if anything, old people bitching at the younger generation is a direct result of their own crappy stewardship of society.

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      06-01-2012 01:08 PM #43

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      06-01-2012 01:12 PM #44
      Meh to each their own. We're all going to choose our own paths and end up at the same door of death. However you wish to travel that path is your choice. I prefer to be a decent person, contributing my part to improve this place one person at a time. Over and out.

Vehicles
      2006 Cayman S
      06-01-2012 01:14 PM #45
      Stop watching/reading mainstream news, they only show the worst of humanity because shock = ratings. Focus on scientific journals for breakthroughs in different fields and local news since the odds of having nutjobs do horrible things in your community is much smaller than on a national scale.

Your outlook on life will become much better. Mine did
      **** JUST GOT CHAEL

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 01:14 PM #46
      No, they're usually wrong and if anything, old people bitching at the younger generation is a direct result of their own crappy stewardship of society.
      It almost always is a result of that, but it doesn't change the fact that as each generation goes on we have tended to trend downward culturally. We keep digging ourselves deeper, and then dropping our children at the bottom of the hole with a shovel.

Vehicles
      98 Volvo V70 (Indigo Montoya) mk2 Jetta (the other woman)
      06-01-2012 01:19 PM #47
      ^
      Awesome.

It's about time for my annual Hitchhiker's reading...
      X2
      I am on mine now. Beginning of summer = another go round. Never gets old.

On topic - Maybe people are just trending to extremes. So maybe smart people are getting smarter, and dumb people are getting dumber. Or dumb people have more outlets to be seen and heard.

23. 06-01-2012 04:37 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by ModestGirl View Post
      Or dumb people have more outlets to be seen and heard.
      TMZ
      Entertainment Tonight
      E Television
      Perez Hilton
      People
      US
      Gawker
      PopSugar
      + 7.5 million other sources...

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      06-01-2012 06:47 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      came to post this....you are all so young.
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

25. 06-01-2012 07:02 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
      but it doesn't change the fact that as each generation goes on we have tended to trend downward culturally.
      What the hell are you talking about?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast