Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help convince me to buy 2012 beetle

Vehicles
      2012 beetle
      06-01-2012 02:24 PM #1
      Hello all, newbie here, first post.
      I've been wanting a 2012 beetle since I first saw one on the streets in march.
      Test drove one out of the yorkdale lot, (short bumpy road), and another one out of the agincourt lot, (highway for a few kms).
      I currently drive a 99 Mazda protege with 135k. Gets about 400 km in the city, and I think about 600km highway.
      I'm an environmentally sensitive guy and was looking forward to getting something more fuel efficient in the next couple of years. Then I saw that beetle and fell in love.
      2012 beetle is going to give me same fuel efficiency as my 13 year old car!? Right? No? Yes?
      Arrrrrrgh!

Also, any help in how much I should pay, negotiate, etc would be greatly appreciated.
      I'm looking for
      Comfortline, black, no sunroof, no Bluetooth, would love a rear spoiler added on.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Sportline, Black
      06-01-2012 04:23 PM #2
      I don't know enough about that model to recommend it, but I have a loaded Sportline and love it. They really are different beasts though - totally different engines, transmissions and suspensions. I've had mine for 2 months and 2000km now and no issues to report other than the driver's side window pinch-protection kicked in once unnecessarily (known issue).

As for fuel economy, well, the numbers are posted on the vw website. Not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but I would hope they are somewhat better than your Mazda. Goes without saying that it all depends on how you drive it. It is VERY difficult not to "exercise" the turbo. If fuel economy is your biggest concern, wait for the TDI which should hit showrooms in the summer.

Cheers,
      Dave

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 04:28 PM #3
      RE price... There isn't a ton of markup on the sticker of these, which is why they add on PDI and "admin" fees. Get a dealer invoice price report to see what they paid for it and work from there. If they've had a 2.5 on the lot for a while, you might be able to get a deal. That won't apply to the TDI though

Vehicles
      2012 beetle
      06-01-2012 06:43 PM #4
      Thanks, Dave.
      I'm not a turbo guy. I have no complaint about the amount of power I have with the Mazda. So i'd say I drive like an old lady, with a touch of rage against texters.

Don't know what pinch protection is.

Where do I find dealer invoice price report?

Tragically hip are/is cool. I teach my students new Orleans, bobcaygeon, Wheat kings, poets....

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 07:23 PM #5
      Pinch protection is thing that keeps your fingers from being lopped off by the power windows. One of the known issues of the Beetle is that this engages prematurely and rolls the window back down, even with no obstruction. Fix is to replace the motor assembly, which they'll do under warranty.

www.unhaggle.com is where I got my report - for free, if you don't mind giving out some personal info... or lying. There are other sources, but you have to pay.

They really are a neat car. You can see mine here:

http://sdrv.ms/LfAhL4

Cheers,
      Dave
      Last edited by TragicallyHip; 06-02-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Vehicles
      02 TDI, 2x84, 1x83, 1x81 Rabbit, 1x80 1x81 1x83 Caddies
      06-01-2012 11:21 PM #6
      my totally useless feedback is that I'm seeing reports of the new Bug described as the Pug.
      2002 TDI Rabbit - 80 Caddy - 81 TD Caddy - 83 Caddy - 84 Rabbit - sǝɹɐnbs ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐs - slowpöks
      Homo sapiens breathe in the earth's atmosphere at ~14.69 psi, why shouldn't some of our engines?

Vehicles
      06-02-2012 01:05 AM #7
      Haters gonna hate... I suspect some dubbers are just ticked that VW put effort into redesigning the Beetle instead of bringing the Scirocco here But seriously, if anyone doesn't think that the 2012 is at least a modest design improvement over the New Beetle, they're .

Vehicles
      73 Super Beetle, 65 Formula V, and assorted European cars
      06-02-2012 07:50 AM #8
      do want... with Beetle RS decals to match my 73 Super.

Saw a 2012 in Florida with vintage beetle wheels on it...so cool

p

Vehicles
      C U B E, A4, Jetta 00/02, Sentra 09
      06-02-2012 10:42 AM #9
      I GOT GREAT HEAD room

10. 06-02-2012 12:42 PM #10
      wait a year. 1st year cars... from anyone. oy.
      --
      2007 – FF, 5 cyl, 20V NA Silver – The Tractor
      1986 – MR, 4 cyl, 20V ITB Red – The Weed Whacker

Vehicles
      2012 beetle
      06-11-2012 07:19 PM #11
      Picked it up Friday. Love most of it.
      Suspension is really rough. Like washboard effect. Can I have this adjusted?
      How much should I baby it? Any advice?
      Only premium for first 10,000km maybe?

Vehicles
      06-12-2012 10:20 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Guitar View Post
      Picked it up Friday. Love most of it.
      Suspension is really rough. Like washboard effect. Can I have this adjusted?
      How much should I baby it? Any advice?
      Only premium for first 10,000km maybe?
      Assuming you didn't buy the turbo? The "washboard" effect, esp when going over railroad tracks, is due to the rear torsion beam suspension of the 2.5 models. I don't think there is much that can be done about it.

You ask people about break-in periods here, you will get two different responses: 1. Follow the break-in instructions in the manual. 2. Drive it like you stole it. I tend to follow the instructions in the manual as I figure engineers who know what they are talking about had at least had some input into it.

To my knowledge, there is nothing to be gained by using premium in the 2.5.

Glad you are enjoying the vehicle. Nice to see some more on the road.

Cheers,
      Dave