Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: car consuming lot of oil

1. 06-02-2012 06:30 AM #1
      Hello,

I have a polo.
      Petrol
      100,000 miles

Over the last couple of months the car has been consuming alot of oil. Every couple of hundred miles I have to top-up. I am getting less than 1000 miles out of a litre of oil.When looking under the bonnet their is oil everywhere. I never see oil patches on the ground. I think the oil leak is only happening under high pressure - ie when the car is driving.

The mechanic has been steam cleaned the engine. They cannot find a leak.They think that the oil is actually being burned - used more than it should but not actually leaking. They think the seals under the engine need to be replaced.

If the mechanic's diagnoses is correct - then why would the car have oil all over it ? It does not make sense to me.
      After steam cleaning the engine and driving it about 80 miles I have noticed a small bit of sludge when I open the bonnet. I dont know if it was their as I never checked the bonnet when I got the car back. The sludge is in the area of where the dipstick is.

Is their anything I can check to confirm that the seals under the engine actually need to be replaced ?
      Is it possible that oil can leak out from the dipstick ??

2. 07-31-2012 05:57 AM #2
      "I am getting less than 1000 miles out of a litre of oil"

Is it possible ?

3. 09-15-2012 11:51 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by alexandra3765 View Post
      Hello,

I have a polo.
      Petrol
      100,000 miles

Over the last couple of months the car has been consuming alot of oil. Every couple of hundred miles I have to top-up. I am getting less than 1000 miles out of a litre of oil.When looking under the bonnet their is oil everywhere. I never see oil patches on the ground. I think the oil leak is only happening under high pressure - ie when the car is driving.

The mechanic has been steam cleaned the engine. They cannot find a leak.They think that the oil is actually being burned - used more than it should but not actually leaking. They think the seals under the engine need to be replaced.

If the mechanic's diagnoses is correct - then why would the car have oil all over it ? It does not make sense to me.
      After steam cleaning the engine and driving it about 80 miles I have noticed a small bit of sludge when I open the bonnet. I dont know if it was their as I never checked the bonnet when I got the car back. The sludge is in the area of where the dipstick is.

Is their anything I can check to confirm that the seals under the engine actually need to be replaced ?
      Is it possible that oil can leak out from the dipstick ??
      I suspect your mechanic is incompetent. If there is oil all over the engine bay and they can't find it, they are defective. When an engine is burning oil, it is apparent. Look for a blue-white smoke coming out of the tail pipe when the engine is running. You'll see it's burning oil if it is consuming oil at the rate you indicate.