Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Clutches keep slipping.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t GTI (dead) 337 (being built)
      06-02-2012 03:50 PM #1
      I need help, I'm out of ideas. Here's the problem. I'm on my third Southbend stage 3 clutch, and they continue to slip within like 10k miles, probably less. Car specs are in my sig. The previous 2 clutches that started slipping early were on a 3071r at 21psi. The south bend guys tell me the stage 3 clutches are rated into the mid-high 400whp range somewhere. I forget the exact number. Regardless, I know the car wasn't making that much power. Upon removing the last two discs, neither looked excessively worn and there was nothing out of the ordinary about them. I'm now on my third clutch with setup shown in my sig. I'm currently running 19psi. Just recently, last week and half or so, it started slipping again. Right now 6th, 5th, and even 4th are all letting go around 4k RPMs. Again, I'm fairly certain the car isn't making enough power to slip it based on power.

What can be causing this? Can something transmission related have something to do with it? Too much pressure on the slave with the clutch engaged? I have no idea what else to do and it's pissing me off having to drop this trans every few months to do this

Any ideas on where to go or what else to check would be helpful.

2. Member
      06-06-2012 08:38 PM #2
      have you replaced the pressure plate?

Vehicles
      Mk2,s Mk3's
      06-07-2012 03:32 PM #3
      replaced the flywheel?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      93 Corrado VRT
      06-08-2012 10:24 PM #4
      Southbend clutches are garage! They dont stand behind there products. at least in my brothers case. my brother had a stage 3 and it lasted 2K miles. and hes running 15psi. From the looks of my bros stage 3, it was a stock pressure plate that came with the stage 3.

clutch masters fx500 is awesome from what I hear.
      93 Corrado VRT
      66 Beetle 2332cc(drag car)

5. Junior Member
      02-01-2013 02:39 PM #5
      i am in the same boat. on my second stage 3 southbend clutch with STOCK 180hp mkiv and both slipping within 6 months!

Vehicles
      '12 GTI 4dr 6mt
      02-01-2013 02:43 PM #6
      Something to think about, depending on where you live. Clutches can't hold well in extreme cold. A member at the mk6 forums just got through his break-in period and started slipping on his CM fx350. He tried the same run that made him slip when the temp was above freezing and all was well.

butchered by autocorrect