Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: HDD to SSD on brand new laptop

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS Wagon, 1988 Fox GL (Sold)
      06-02-2012 07:18 PM #1
      So I am configuring a new laptop, I can get it with a 5400rpm 1TB, or for $200 I can get it with a 160GB SSD. Now my question is should I order it with the SSD or get the HDD and for the $200 order a 180-256GB SSD and slap it in there? Pros and cons?
      Life's simple, you make choices and you don't look back.

-Han

2. 06-02-2012 08:59 PM #2
      Get the cheapest drive available and then just replace it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-In...8685117&sr=8-1

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32 - The White One
      06-04-2012 01:35 AM #3
      If you have the technical ability to do so, it's always cheaper to buy any upgrades you can in the aftermarket.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      06-04-2012 10:00 PM #4
      How easy is it to slap in the extra SSD? I'd probably go that way, but you'll want to do that up front rather than add on later. You want the OS and programs that do lots of disk access running off the fast drive, and the slow drive just for lesser accessed files.

If you order the extra SSD drive, does the OS come loaded on there, or are you supposed to wipe everything and install the OS yourself?

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS Wagon, 1988 Fox GL (Sold)
      06-05-2012 11:31 AM #5
      Its really easy to swap in. All HP laptops ive seen have a plate right over the HD so you don't have to pull the whole thing apart.

I would order it with a regular hard drive and replace it with a SSD, which i would have to either clone the existing os to or install a fresh os. Which I've done before and its easy.
      Life's simple, you make choices and you don't look back.

-Han

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      06-05-2012 08:47 PM #6
      Physically, I'm sure it would be easy. Loading the OS, not necessarily. By clone, I guess you would dd the image. However, you would run into a problem as the original disk is larger than the new one. It would be easier and less messy to load a new OS. If you can get the image from HP, that would be ideal. I'd check out their support before you order.

7. 06-05-2012 08:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Jboard View Post
      Physically, I'm sure it would be easy. Loading the OS, not necessarily. By clone, I guess you would dd the image. However, you would run into a problem as the original disk is larger than the new one. It would be easier and less messy to load a new OS. If you can get the image from HP, that would be ideal. I'd check out their support before you order.
      If you have no idea what you're saying then why even post? Even today's smallest 64GB SSD's are ample for a clean install of W7.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      06-05-2012 09:56 PM #8
      Obviously you misunderstood. Why are you so angry anyway?! The whole point of this thread is a decision on whether to spend $200 to get just the SSD, or buy the SSD aftermarket and keep the 5400 1TB. You can't just slap in the SSD and expect the OS to magically be there. Of course the OS will fit on the SSD. It's just a matter of how to get it there.

06-06-2012 01:09 AM #9
      Your new computer will either come with recovery discs, or more likely, recovery software to burn your own factory recovery discs. You can then install your SSD and restore from the recovery discs and be back to factory condition.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

10. 06-06-2012 06:57 AM #10
      to clone data from the larger hdd to a smaller one, you will just need to resize the partition to fit the smaller hdd. one thing though is that I have read on the forums @ work that some are having issues with cloning and image install on ssd's.

First off with any ssd's, be sure to enable trim before installing data.

Vehicles
      04 R32 02 WRX Wagon
      06-06-2012 02:17 PM #11
      Intel has a new tool with their SSD toolbox where you can basically 1 click clone an HD to an SSD and it takes care of everything for you (align, etc).

I just went from an 80gb intel to a new 180 in about 20 minutes.

12. 06-06-2012 07:51 PM #12
      Obviously you misunderstood. Why are you so angry anyway?! The whole point of this thread is a decision on whether to spend $200 to get just the SSD, or buy the SSD aftermarket and keep the 5400 1TB. You can't just slap in the SSD and expect the OS to magically be there. Of course the OS will fit on the SSD. It's just a matter of how to get it there.
      I do this for a living (and make pretty decent money for my age at that), no need to explain any of it to me. You just said that you will run into issues if the original drive is bigger than the replacement SSD. If a clean install of W7 only takes up ~20GB, where is he going to run into issues?

Cloning a drive is not a difficult or skills-intensive process like you suggest, at least to those of us who know what we're doing. If you're going to give wrong advice, it's probably best to just keep quiet

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      06-06-2012 10:40 PM #13
      You do what for a living, post on Vortex? Maybe you should go back to school and learn how to read, because you clearly didn't do that. I don't care how old you are, It adds nothing to this conversation.

My post: "By clone, I guess you would dd the image. However, you would run into a problem as the original disk is larger than the new one. "

I didn't mention anything about a clean install of W7. I also didn't say cloning was difficult or skills-intensive, just that it would be easier and less messy to load a new OS. "Clean install" in your words. I won't explain dd. No need to explain any of it to you.

zhenny probably has the right answer here. I don't know enough about what HP is doing these days to be sure, but I'd imagine he's right.

If you happened to have a spare copy of W7, you could of course install it on pretty much any SSD. You could also install Linux, or whatever. You could also partition the 1TB disk and clone it over to the 180GB. Even with all the bloatware that's likely on a new HP laptop, it should fit.

Go back to school, learn to read, and go be angry somewhere else.

14. 06-07-2012 07:24 PM #14
      You do what for a living, post on Vortex? Maybe you should go back to school and learn how to read, because you clearly didn't do that. I don't care how old you are, It adds nothing to this conversation.

My post: "By clone, I guess you would dd the image. However, you would run into a problem as the original disk is larger than the new one. "

I didn't mention anything about a clean install of W7. I also didn't say cloning was difficult or skills-intensive, just that it would be easier and less messy to load a new OS. "Clean install" in your words. I won't explain dd. No need to explain any of it to you.

zhenny probably has the right answer here. I don't know enough about what HP is doing these days to be sure, but I'd imagine he's right.

If you happened to have a spare copy of W7, you could of course install it on pretty much any SSD. You could also install Linux, or whatever. You could also partition the 1TB disk and clone it over to the 180GB. Even with all the bloatware that's likely on a new HP laptop, it should fit.

Go back to school, learn to read, and go be angry somewhere else.
      I'm not angry at all, I just don't understand why you'd give advice when it's clear you're not as knowledgeable as you think you are. You said that if the original disk on a brand new laptop is larger than the replacement SSD, he might run into issues. This is flat out wrong. W7 takes up maybe 20GB, even if HP/Dell installs a few gigs of their own software, you're nowhere close to filling up a 64GB SSD (let alone anything larger).

Thank you for telling me just how stupid and illiterate I really am. Maybe you could go full retard and make a Hitler reference too