Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drove a 2013 V6 Performance Pack. Mustang Today

1. 06-02-2012 09:56 PM #1
      No pictures of the actual car because I wasn't really intent on buying, the dealer called and wanted to see if they could score a deal with me; no pressure. Actually it felt like they didn't even want me in there, who knows.

I took out a V6 with the Performance Package by myself, jaunted on two on-ramps and off again and around a twisty road.

What I thought was interesting, in all the epic battles of BRZ/FRS vs V6 Mustang's people call the Mustang a pig in the corners, this simply isn't true, its very confident in the turns, that sucker was planted.

I think the bigger issue with the Mustang were the brakes, man they do not inspire confidence at all especially at "Highway" speeds, the pedal feel is mushy and I prayed to god I wasn't going to rear end the guy in front of me decelerating from "Highway" speed.

On a non performance point, my god is the factory radio bad, like really bad, like MKV VW bad, but that's another story.

TL: DR: V6 Mustang handles very well, brakes and radio suck.

I shall now wait for the invasion of the BRZ/FRS crowd.... Maybe I will go and give a Genesis a whirl this weekend too dunno.
      Last edited by Vanilla_Coke; 06-03-2012 at 12:34 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Vehicles
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      06-02-2012 11:04 PM #2
      Fails above 117MPH!

Vehicles
      FR-S
      06-02-2012 11:11 PM #3
      Man that color is offensive.

Gotta have it green. More like Gotta Vomit Green.
      Speed:Sport:Life
      History | Some Caymans | 2011 Mustang GT | Diesel Benz | 3 Civics | 91 Galant VR4

4. 06-02-2012 11:11 PM #4
      shaker 550 is a very good stereo, your mustang didnt have it?
      Brembo brakes package would fix your other issue..

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Nissan Altima
      06-02-2012 11:12 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke View Post
      I think the bigger issue with the Mustang were the brakes, man they do not inspire confidence at all especially at "Highway" speeds, the pedal feel is mushy and I prayed to god I wasn't going to rear end the guy in front of me decelerating from "Highway" speed.
      Ford has always had the worst feeling brakes. They have the "mushy" feeling down for sure.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      06-02-2012 11:23 PM #6
      How'd you like the engine?

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      06-02-2012 11:25 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Vans View Post
      Ford has always had the worst feeling brakes. They have the "mushy" feeling down for sure.
      IDK, normally I would say yes but my '11 F-150 stops pretty nicely.

Vehicles
      FX50S, Sienna AWD ltd.
      06-02-2012 11:36 PM #8
      What I thought was interesting, in all the epic battles of BRZ/FRS vs V6 Mustang's people call the Mustang a pig in the corners, this simply isn't true, its very confident in the turns, that sucker was planted.
      I shall now wait for the invasion of the BRZ/FRS crowd.... Maybe I will go and give a Genesis a whirl this weekend too dunno.
      I haven't driven the BRZ so my comments are not in comparison.
      I feel about the Mustang the same way I feel about the Camaro SS I rented. They are both competent, and will go pretty fast round the corners, have plenty of grip and even the steering is ok, but they feel BIG. I guess its also something about the response to inputs through the steering and gas pedal. They felt bigger then my FX45, not to speak of G37 (my usual loaner) and I can only imagine next to an MX-5 or BRZ.
      Is it a bad thing? no, its a matter of preference.

P.S
      I drove an 2010 Mustang & 2011 Camaro SS.

Vehicles
      2004 Saab 93
      06-02-2012 11:39 PM #9
      Interesting how they put dual exhausts on the v6 model, I have not seen this in the past.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337 - 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      06-02-2012 11:40 PM #10
      Well I doubt the Mustang is really a "pig" in the corners but compared to the BRZ/FRS, it probably isn't as agile. I haven't driven either, let alone back-to-back but keep in mind car mag reviews are built on hyperbole, otherwise they wouldn't exist. So when a magazine criticizes the Mustang's handling, it's all relative.

Vehicles
      It's 6 cylinder, RWD, and purple.
      06-02-2012 11:44 PM #11
      WTF is up with all these new mustangs coming in bright, loud, ugly, gay colors?
      www.RacerTV.org
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      I think that it is raw enough that at 50% of potential, it would be terrifying enough to be fun. One of those 'you never see the tree that is going to kill you because you are sliding into it backwards' kind of cars.

12. 06-02-2012 11:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
      shaker 550 is a very good stereo, your mustang didnt have it?
      Brembo brakes package would fix your other issue..
      Neither of those options are available, I just drove the Base V6 with Performance Package, with no other options minus the decklid spoiler and stripes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vans View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
      IDK, normally I would say yes but my '11 F-150 stops pretty nicely.
      My Ranger has better brake feel than the Mustang, which is kind of scary.

Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post
      How'd you like the engine?
      That's one of the pluses, the engine and transmission feel great, very very small clutch travel to engage it. Engine wound up pretty nice, it needs a better exhaust on it though, the Pentastar sounds a lot better stock for stock.
      Last edited by Vanilla_Coke; 06-02-2012 at 11:49 PM.
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-02-2012 11:46 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by RacerrRex View Post
      It's not that bad but I am already starting to get bored of it.

06-02-2012 11:50 PM #14
      i love the look of this gen mustang but i dont think i could ever be ok with owning a v6 muscle car.

also motortrend disagrees with your write up
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

15. 06-02-2012 11:54 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      i love the look of this gen mustang but i dont think i could ever be ok with owning a v6 muscle car.

also motortrend disagrees with your write up
      They do agree with the brakes sucking, seemingly even the Boss 302 has crappy brakes.

The V6 is fine, I don't even know why you would need more than 323hp on the street; it was hard enough keeping it under "Highway" speeds.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-03-2012 12:01 AM #16
      They do agree with the brakes sucking, seemingly even the Boss 302 has crappy brakes.

The V6 is fine, I don't even know why you would need more than 323hp on the street; it was hard enough keeping it under "Highway" speeds.
      Look, I don't want to start the whole Toyobaru thing but that's a huge reason why people like it. What fun is it if you can't drive a really powerful car fast? Barring any track events - strictly talking use on public roads.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      06-03-2012 12:10 AM #17
      I think the green is awesome. If nothing else, it's a step in the right direction where most manufacturers are trying to out-Audi each other in terms of offering the most uninteresting color palette possible.

18. 06-03-2012 12:13 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      Look, I don't want to start the whole Toyobaru thing but that's a huge reason why people like it. What fun is it if you can't drive a really powerful car fast? Barring any track events - strictly talking use on public roads.
      I agree with your point, but both would probably be pretty boring or annoying to drive daily; as much power as the Mustang has, it likes being wrung out.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-03-2012 12:20 AM #19
      I agree with your point, but both would probably be pretty boring or annoying to drive daily; as much power as the Mustang has, it likes being wrung out.
      No car is fun driving in a traffic jam but you can wring out the Toyobaru more than you can the Mustang and still stay relatively close to the limit without attracting too much attention to yourself. Revving both cars to 5k rpm will get you different results on the street. One will attract a lot of attention and the other will probably stay under the radar but will bring a huge smile on your face.

Vehicles
      1997 Mazda Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      06-03-2012 12:22 AM #20
      People like you are why we have so many boring silver, grey and beige cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      06-03-2012 12:24 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      Serious question, but does anyone ever actually see brand new beige cars anymore?

I think light blue has officially replaced beige as the official car color for old people.

22. 06-03-2012 12:27 AM #22
      No car is fun driving in a traffic jam but you can wring out the Toyobaru more than you can the Mustang and still stay relatively close to the limit without attracting too much attention to yourself. Revving both cars to 5k rpm will get you different results on the street. One will attract a lot of attention and the other will probably stay under the radar but will bring a huge smile on your face.
      If the driving feel of the BRZ is any better than the Mustang as far as cornering confidence is concerned, its going to be pretty boring driving around town; you could stoplight drag either one of them, but that's not the point.

23. 06-03-2012 12:27 AM #23
      Cars being "uder-braked" from the factory is a major peeve of mine. (I'm looking at you Mitsubishi)
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      It's 6 cylinder, RWD, and purple.
      06-03-2012 12:33 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      Theres lots of color oppportunites that look good, without looking like bag of tropical skittles.
      www.RacerTV.org
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      I think that it is raw enough that at 50% of potential, it would be terrifying enough to be fun. One of those 'you never see the tree that is going to kill you because you are sliding into it backwards' kind of cars.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-03-2012 12:36 AM #25
      If the driving feel of the BRZ is any better than the Mustang as far as cornering confidence is concerned, its going to be pretty boring driving around town; you could stoplight drag either one of them, but that's not the point.
      When you're going through the gears in the Toyobaru, even at low speeds you will feel a lot more strain/feedback from the engine and car at lower speeds. In the Mustang you won't really feel anything going slow around town because it's a powerful car and it shines only when going fast. So that's where the saying driving a slow car "fast" is more fun than driving a fast car slow.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      06-03-2012 12:49 AM #26

The V6 is fine, I don't even know why you would need more than 323hp on the street;

27. 06-03-2012 12:50 AM #27
      When you're going through the gears in the Toyobaru, even at low speeds you will feel a lot more strain/feedback from the engine and car at lower speeds. In the Mustang you won't really feel anything going slow around town because it's a powerful car and it shines only when going fast. So that's where the saying driving a slow car "fast" is more fun than driving a fast car slow.

My definition of boring may be different here, putting the petal to the floor and shifting like crazy doesn't make the Ranger fun to drive or any car for that matter, it makes it just as annoying in the opposite direction for me. Basically what I'm saying is, if you're not pushing either one of these to their limits, they're probably going to be boring.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-03-2012 12:51 AM #28
      WTF is up with all these other cars coming in dull, lame, ugly, boring colors?
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

29. 06-03-2012 12:52 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      He said muscle cars, if I'm not mistaken the V6 Camaro makes the most power at 323hp, I suppose I should have used italics on the it.

Dammit my grammar is horrible tonight, I can't even edit this right.
      Last edited by Vanilla_Coke; 06-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.

30. 06-03-2012 12:53 AM #30

I've driven plenty of slow cars fast and it was always pretty boring bro.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      06-03-2012 12:54 AM #31
      [IMG][/IMG]

My old one. I miss it, but at the end of the day it was a POS.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-03-2012 12:55 AM #32
      My definition of boring may be different here, putting the petal to the floor and shifting like crazy doesn't make the Ranger fun to drive or any car for that matter, it makes it just as annoying in the opposite direction for me. Basically what I'm saying is, if you're not pushing either one of these to their limits, they're probably going to be boring.
      I had a feeling you'd bring up non-performance cars in this. The Toyobaru and Ranger have extremely different driving dynamics, even at low speeds from the clutch feel to the way it delivers power, to the size to the way it actually shifts. Same with economy cars. I'm talking about sports/sporty cars here, not trucks, not econoboxes.

So while driving a manual econobox and/or truck will require more involvment and "feedback" at lower speeds than a Mustang they are still not made for spirited driving like the Toyobaru and cars like it.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-03-2012 12:57 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      I've driven plenty of slow cars fast and it was always pretty boring bro.
      I had a feeling you'd bring up non-performance cars in this. The Toyobaru and Ranger have extremely different driving dynamics, even at low speeds from the clutch feel to the way it delivers power, to the size to the way it actually shifts. Same with economy cars. I'm talking about sports/sporty cars here, not trucks, not econoboxes.

So while driving a manual econobox and/or truck will require more involvment and "feedback" at lower speeds than a Mustang they are still not made for spirited driving like the Toyobaru and cars like it.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      06-03-2012 12:57 AM #34
      He said muscle cars, if I'm not mistaken the V6 Camaro makes the most power at 323hp, I suppose I should have used italics on the it.

Dammit my grammar is horrible tonight, I can't even edit this right.
      The way it was written it sounded like you were talking about the hp of mustang---afterall your whole thread is about the mustang. Either way however, I get your point.

35. 06-03-2012 01:00 AM #35

So you're saying this one car, out of how many is going to be that one slow-fast car, that's fun to drive?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast