Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What dog food brands are you guys buying?

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      06-03-2012 02:00 PM #1
      What brands of dog food are most people here having success with?

I did some searching (most of the threads are 2+ years old) and came across some threads about various recalls (Diamond and Blue Buffalo) which are a little worrisome for obvious reasons.

EDIT: I saw mention in a thread about Southern State's brand of natural foods but the prices seem too good to be true- $30 for a 40lb bag? Most of the name brand "natural" foods are in the $50s for a ~30lb bag. I have 3 of their stores within a 15 mile radius so it's definitely convenient.
      Last edited by Hostile; 06-03-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 A4 2.0T
      06-03-2012 09:23 PM #2
      I buy Fromm's grain free surf and turf http://frommfamily.com/products/four...free-surf-turf. My golden lost 15lbs from going no grain.
      Contact me for special pricing on Rigid LEDs

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fusion w/ 3 pedals, 2014 Ford Escape
      06-03-2012 09:44 PM #3
      Orijen/Acana here...
      Quote Originally Posted by BarryV1
      Scene points are kind of like bitcoins... They really carry no value outside of the internet.

4. 06-04-2012 12:41 PM #4
      Use to have the pup on Orijen, but switched to Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream/Fish) after recommendation on reducing protein intake.

OP: Head over to Dog Food Advisor if you really want to dive into nutritional and quality info.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      06-04-2012 03:09 PM #5
      I feed my dog Nutro Natural Choice Chicken/Rice formula. He has a sensitive stomach and is a bit picky about his dry dog food. It has a bit lower than average protein content, so I will usually add in boiled chicken to his dry food. Every now and then he gets an egg.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      A lack of knowledge and facts has never once slowed down The Car Lounge.
      Quote Originally Posted by alexislow View Post
      Can we get pictures of your feet in return? Just the feet.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      06-04-2012 05:59 PM #6
      we currently feed acana regionals 'grain-free'. probably been buying it for coming close to 18 months or so.

prior to that.

orijen
      innova evo
      costco/kirkland puppy formula
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      06-05-2012 10:14 AM #7
      I just switched from Science Diet to Halo (Ellen owned company). I figure if it's good enough for Ellen, then it's good enough for me.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 10:35 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      I just switched from Science Diet to Halo (Ellen owned company). I figure if it's good enough for Ellen, then it's good enough for me.
      i would say switching from science diet to most anything else is a good thing... but i am not sure i understand linking trust to ellen about dog food.

sometimes celebs are only endorsing products from the $$... i know, i know its an amazing but true revelation.

hill's science diet dry
      http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...ood-adult-dry/
      Hill’s Science Diet Adult dry dog food earns the Advisor’s second-lowest rating of 2.5 stars.

The first ingredient in this dog food is corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain of only modest nutritional value to a dog.

Judging by its ingredients alone, Hill’s Science Diet Adult appears to be a below-average dry dog food.

Not recommended.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 06-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      06-05-2012 11:02 AM #9
      I had actually switched to Science Diet about 5 years ago, because it was rated well at the time. Soon after, there was a similar thread to this on another forum, and people trashed it for the same reason (corn being main ingredient). But when i compared the make up of their preferred brand to Science diet, they were identical.

As for Halo, my comment about Ellen was more a joke. I actually researched it, and it got great ratings, and they highly recommend it.

As for Ellen, she doesn't just endorse it, she's part owner of the company. Most of the times when I hear that, I have the same reaction as you. However, considering Ellen is a Vegan (due to the treatment of animals), has rescued all her pets (and supports lots of rescues) and is just a HUGE advocate of animals, I have a bit more trust in her and this company, than I would with some other celeb.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32
      06-05-2012 01:17 PM #10
      Switched from Science Diet to Blue.

Science Diet gave my dog some nasty ****s.

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      06-05-2012 07:57 PM #11
      Only thing I've gotten her to eat for more than a week or two at a time is Simply Nourish lamb and rice dry food.

Sent from my shoe phone

Vehicles
      2008 Outback
      06-06-2012 08:57 AM #12
      My dog has a bad digestive system so for the past year I have been making his food. Extremely low-fat, low-protein bland meals.

Rice, potatoes, carrots, peas, blueberries and a small amount of chicken.

He also gets strawberries every now and then and 100% dehydrated sweet potatoes for treats.
      Ravens&
      Bohs&
      Crabs&
      O's.

Vehicles
      06-06-2012 10:06 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      My dog has a bad digestive system so for the past year I have been making his food. Extremely low-fat, low-protein bland meals.

Rice, potatoes, carrots, peas, blueberries and a small amount of chicken.

He also gets strawberries every now and then and 100% dehydrated sweet potatoes for treats.
      truth be told, you probably think that food is bland but he is living a kings life.

for the treats, wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy a sweet potato and chop it up yourself?
      epitome

Vehicles
      2008 Outback
      06-06-2012 10:21 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      truth be told, you probably think that food is bland but he is living a kings life.

for the treats, wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy a sweet potato and chop it up yourself?
      Oh, don't be fooled, I know he is living the life. lol.

I do bake them myself, but sometimes I get lazy
      Ravens&
      Bohs&
      Crabs&
      O's.

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      06-06-2012 10:29 AM #15
      We have switched over to Costco's Kirkland Signature "Nature's Domain" and the dogs (German Shepherds) have had no issues in the change (almost a year now from Taste of the Wild at almost $15 less a bag).
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

Vehicles
      93 Cali Style Corrado, 08 Honda Element SC
      06-06-2012 02:30 PM #16
      I have been feeding my dog Wellness since I got her, but I'm thinking about switching to Lotus

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      06-06-2012 03:14 PM #17
      Blue Buffalo - Salmon and Potato, she can't eat the chickent/turkey. It tears up her stomach. I may try the Kirkland brand. Seemed to get good reviews.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      '12 GLI AB, '08 A3 STi, '03 20thAE GTI #3255, '97 GTI 2.sl0w
      06-06-2012 04:24 PM #18
      Also Blue Buffalo here for our akita. And for our cat actually. No problems in 4 years we've been feeding them.
      Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just not their own facts.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
      06-08-2012 02:25 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      Blue Buffalo - Salmon and Potato, she can't eat the chickent/turkey. It tears up her stomach. I may try the Kirkland brand. Seemed to get good reviews.
      Check the numbers on the bags if you do - up here a lot of its been recalled recently. We had our dogs on a 50/50 mix eukanuba natural lamb & rice (not the wild naturals!) and Kirkland signature chicken and rice. The second dog came to us on 100% kirkland and ours was 100% eukanuba. We thought we'd slowly switch first dog onto it since its way cheaper and he really liked it - and it got good reviews. Even over the space of a month I couldn't get him onto more than a 50/50 mix, because he kept having tummy issues so we decided hed just stay on eukanuba and the other dog could eat both. Then she started having tummy troubles too, so I weaned them both off it and only on eukanuba and canned (blue naturals homestyle dinners). No more tummy troubles. Then I found out about the recall, and checked the number on the bag of kirkland. We have a recalled bag.

The recall was for salmonella but it would explain their tummy troubles. I also read on that dog food advisor site that the kirkland stuff is lacking in probiotics anyhow so I feed them plain 2% yogurt a couple times a week (our trainer suggested it for the tummy upset). Now that there's no more Kirkland, no more diarrhea. It might just be our dogs as we know our first dog is prone to tummy upset, and it seems the second one is too (have to be really careful with treats, so now I make them).
      If I were a supermarket lobster, I wouldn't wish for anything less than nuclear Armageddon.

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      06-08-2012 02:34 PM #20
      Keep in mind there is the Kirkland Signature and the Kirkland Signature Natures Domain (higher quality) products. My Wife is picky about the dogs food and was pleased with the KS ND line and the extra $$ we save per bag doesn't hurt either!
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
      06-08-2012 02:38 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by cwescapexlt4x4 View Post
      Keep in mind there is the Kirkland Signature and the Kirkland Signature Natures Domain (higher quality) products. My Wife is picky about the dogs food and was pleased with the KS ND line and the extra $$ we save per bag doesn't hurt either!
      Apparently we have a very limited selection at our local Costco! We only have the signature in 2 flavors...and no other dry food choices. I feel like most ppl around here probably don't buy their food at costco. There are a lot of high end/independent pet food/supply stores in our town.
      If I were a supermarket lobster, I wouldn't wish for anything less than nuclear Armageddon.

Vehicles
      06-08-2012 02:57 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryGirl View Post
      Apparently we have a very limited selection at our local Costco! We only have the signature in 2 flavors...and no other dry food choices. I feel like most ppl around here probably don't buy their food at costco. There are a lot of high end/independent pet food/supply stores in our town.
      yeah, the higher KS bags are RED and BABY BLUE (IIRC) and the bags are more "plasticy" like the Taste of the Wild.

Vehicles
      SLUG
      06-08-2012 04:23 PM #23
      We were feeding our Dane Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed formula, but have since switched to Taste Of the Wild Pacific Stream formula because it's grain free. I can see a huge difference in his #2s.

Every other day he gets a Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Chicken patty.

If I could afford to feed him an all-raw diet, I would.

We also give him a little salmon oil on his dry food.

Treats-wise, it all depends.
      I bought a dehydrator 2 years ago, and I give him Sweet potatoes and Banana chips. He gets elk and venison jerky when someone kills something.
      We also give him Nutro treats, when he's at my parents' place they give him the Rachel Ray Just 6 treats, and my wife bought him some of the MilkBone Healthy Favorites treats that he seemed to like.

06-13-2012 12:19 PM #24
      German Shepards were getting Blue Buffalo, turned out to be too rich for them, so we went to Natures Recipe.

Cats get Nutro indoor.

Pleased with all three brands
      Last edited by 20vturbslo; 06-13-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
      Not enough time in the day.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      07-02-2012 04:28 PM #25
      Flint River Ranch: Lamb, Millet & Rice

With an extra shot of Dogzymes Probiotic Max

My golden is nice and healthy.

She gets the clean bill of health every year from the vet (and likes the fact I give her the extra probiotics).

The local kennel/golden retriever breeder also complements me on her coat and her overall lean build.

other people have complimented her on her coat.

Now... dogfoodadvisor doesn't give the food a great rating... but my dog is healthy on her current diet.

And.. she's a lot better on her current diet compared to Wellness Super 5 Mix Large Breed Puppy Health (I had a lot of soft stool problems with it)... then tried FRR Original, got a little better, than FRR Trout & Potato, got a little better... to where I am now.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

26. 07-19-2012 09:52 AM #26
      We've got two active dogs. A Pit with a sensitive stomach and a mutt with a stomach of steel. They were both on Natural Balance, but the relatively low protein meant we had to give the pit too much to get her what she needed. The fiber just tore through her. The little mutt was fine on it.

I went to a local pet food/supply store and the guy recommended one of the high protein diets. We opted for Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Our pit's stomach issues are gone.

We actually used to feed the pit a raw diet. Chicken, turkey, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, etc, but it became a nightmare with the addition of the second dog. I was spending every other Sunday chopping up whole chickens and boiling sweet potatoes. I'd love to go back to it, but the amount of food the pit went through was staggering for a 55lb dog. If she wasn't eating close to 2 pounds of meat and another pound of potatoes daily she'd puke bile because she burned through everything already. Since they were eating only fresh human food, and meat at that, our dog grocery bill was over half of ours. It was hard giving it up though.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      07-19-2012 12:31 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      I went to a local pet food/supply store and the guy recommended one of the high protein diets. We opted for Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Our pit's stomach issues are gone.
      That's good to hear. My pit has stomach issues and she has been on Blue Buffalo Basics but can only eat the salmon formula. A few pieces of the cat's BB Wilderness dropped on the floor and you would think that my pit had just discovered crack lol. I was going to test the waters with it next go round so your report makes me less uneasy.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      2 VW's and a Buell
      07-20-2012 02:32 PM #28
      Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      07-20-2012 02:44 PM #29
      My dog is currently eating the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon food. Though, I think she likes the Merrick Before Grain better.

30. 07-20-2012 02:56 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by mk4321 View Post
      Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.
      My last dog got really really sick off that stuff. It was during all those recalls and she was hospitalized for a few days, had her stomach pumped, etc. She pulled through (after a $700 bill of course), but it was actually that experience that led us to switch to the raw diet for 3 years. I figured if she got sick, I was getting sick since we ate from the same chickens, yogurt, potatoes, etc.

31. 07-20-2012 03:01 PM #31
      Oh, and to anyone with an inherent distrust of large corporations and mainstream dogfood when it comes to pet food, Proctor & Gamble (through Iams/Eukanuba) actually owns Innova (Innova, Evo, California Natural, Healthwise, Mother Nature and Karma).

Apparently the product hasn't suffered yet, but I've heard concerns its only a matter of time before P&G starts tinkering while searching for hidden profit.

Vehicles
      07-20-2012 03:05 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      My last dog got really really sick off that stuff. It was during all those recalls and she was hospitalized for a few days, had her stomach pumped, etc. She pulled through (after a $700 bill of course), but it was actually that experience that led us to switch to the raw diet for 3 years. I figured if she got sick, I was getting sick since we ate from the same chickens, yogurt, potatoes, etc.
      so for 3 yrs the dog was the appointed 'royal food taster'...
      epitome

33. 07-20-2012 03:28 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      so for 3 yrs the dog was the appointed 'royal food taster'...

Yeah, she was an old dog when we got her so she had an awesome final few years. Abuse case, used for breeding and possibly baiting. When we got her wekept her on kibble but upgraded to what we thought was better. She got real sick as a result so she spent the next few years eating like a queen. I'd hack up chickens every other weekend and freeze them in baggies. Wings, breasts, drumsticks, guts....she loved it. Ground beef, and stew meat too. She'd get a scoop of mashed sweet potatoes, a dollop of yogurt or cottage cheese, and a bunch of meat. She loved it and never had another issue until cancer got her.

We did the raw diet with our next pup, but an active pit puppy was doing a number on us. 2 pounds of meat a day plus all the other stuff was ending up around $7-$8 a day to feed her. When we got the second dog we cried uncle and went back to a premium kibble. If we had a less active dog we'd probably go back to raw, but our pit burns through every calorie you throw her way. The crazy part is she isn't food driven in the slightest.
      Last edited by pwm; 07-20-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      07-21-2012 09:28 AM #34
      I feed a brand called 4Health which is sold exclusively at Tractor Supply. It's rated 4 stars by Dog Food Advisor and costs $30 for a 35lb bag, but TS runs specials once a month for $5 off. You can't beat 35lb 4star for $25! It has improved both my dogs coats and teeth plus less poop since they absorb the nutrients instead of them running through their system and out the back end. Activity level has also risen.

There was a short recall for possible tainted food months ago but everything is ok.
      http://www.tractorsupply.com/4health...lb-bag-6009468

Highly recommend!
      -Wes

35. 07-23-2012 01:37 PM #35
      our first dog loved the sh!t out of kibble & bits.....lived to the ripe old age of 16.

had a bluetick that was a garbage disposal and ate anything put in front of him.....was not brand loyal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast