Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What dog food brands are you guys buying?

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      07-27-2012 11:59 AM #36
      Spring Natural Grain Free. English Bulldog owner
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbaK3LloAg

You like hip hop? Click it. New Vid every week.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 04 BMW 330ci
      08-27-2012 02:18 PM #37
      We used to use Kirkland but switched to Nutro Natural Choice a few months ago for our 2 APBT's.

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      If she wasn't eating close to 2 pounds of meat and another pound of potatoes daily she'd puke bile because she burned through everything already. Since they were eating only fresh human food, and meat at that, our dog grocery bill was over half of ours. It was hard giving it up though.
      1 of our pits pukes bile in the morning at least twice a week. She's super picky about her food and doesn't eat as soon as you put it in front of her. This makes it really hard to feed the 2 of them since our other pit is like a vacuum and wants to eat everything including bugs, plants, tinfoil, paper no less actual dog food.

3. 08-27-2012 03:56 PM #38
      I feed my boys Science Diet (dry) and I also boil chicken for them twice a week and feed that to them as well. So you can say they are spoiled brats.

4. 09-17-2012 11:31 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by EvoJetta View Post
      I feed my boys Science Diet (dry) and I also boil chicken for them twice a week and feed that to them as well. So you can say they are spoiled brats.
      Never was a fan of science diet due to their ingredients. Much better brands out there. Chicken I am a fan of and thanks for the reminder to broil some!

Been on blue buffalo (chx/brown rice) for the past 18months and doing great. Prior to that was on Acana and taste of the wild.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      09-18-2012 12:50 PM #40
      Blue Seal Krunchies here.
      We need a food that is low crude protien (<23%) for our Dalmatian.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R
      10-18-2012 09:53 AM #41
      Blue Buffalo: Wilderness Puppy blend since we got her at 8 weeks (she's now 10 months)... we mix both kibble and wet food together for each of her dishes.

Expensive... but the vet keeps saying how amazingly healthy she is and how beautiful her coat is.
      '13 CW Golf R 4dr APR Stage 2+

10-18-2012 11:02 PM #42
      Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream Canine Formula. Dog loves it.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8T, 2003 Audi A4 3.0Q, 2009 VW CC Sport, 2011 JSW TDi
      10-19-2012 09:44 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      Orijen/Acana here...
      This

Vehicles
      14 CC R-LINE, 14 Tiguan R-Line, 14 GLI AB DSG+Nav SOLD, 13 Jetta TDi Prem DIED, 12 Jetta TDi TRADED
      10-31-2012 12:02 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      Blue Buffalo - Salmon and Potato, she can't eat the chickent/turkey. It tears up her stomach. I may try the Kirkland brand. Seemed to get good reviews.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20vturbslo View Post
      German Shepards were getting Blue Buffalo, turned out to be too rich for them, so we went to Natures Recipe.

Cats get Nutro indoor.

Pleased with all three brands
      What do you mean by too rich? I have a Min Schnauzer that was on iVet brand food (never heard of them but sold by the local vet). Just recently I decided to go with Blue Buffalo... thinking it was going to be far healthier for him. Well ever since, he's had a sensitive stomach for it. bad bowels and thows up every once in a while. It's been about 2 weeks.... I mixed both food brands to ween him in..... he hasn't fully been with Blue Buffalo only.
      I should pretty much take him off Blue Buffalo right?
      But what is a heathly/natural type brand he should go on since he's a bit sensitive?

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      10-31-2012 01:03 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by HD9280 View Post
      What do you mean by too rich? I have a Min Schnauzer that was on iVet brand food (never heard of them but sold by the local vet). Just recently I decided to go with Blue Buffalo... thinking it was going to be far healthier for him. Well ever since, he's had a sensitive stomach for it. bad bowels and thows up every once in a while. It's been about 2 weeks.... I mixed both food brands to ween him in..... he hasn't fully been with Blue Buffalo only.
      But what is a heathly/natural type brand he should go on since he's a bit sensitive?
      BB should be fine.

some dogs are sensitive about the transition and some are not.
      our gsp we could change her to brand new food every day and she would be fine.
      our vizsla will get sick nearly everyday of a 2-3 week transition

if you have a sensitive dog, just take more time to introduce the new food. i have read a couple of places about taking as long as a month to move to new food.

you could even start by giving the new food as training treats
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

11. 10-31-2012 01:50 PM #46
      As dunhamjr said, some dogs take longer to transition. Our Pit had the runs every once in awhile as we switched her to BB. We took about 2 weeks to transition, increasing the BB ration by 1/4 every 3-4 days. i.e. day 1-4, she got 3/4 of her meal of old food, 1/4 new. days 5-9 she got a 50:50 mix, and so on. On the other hand, our little mutt can switch overnight and be fine. Maybe being a starved stray for the begining of her life toughened her digestive system...who knows.

I'd give it some more time before abandoning BB, but some dogs just don't react well to certain foods. Our pit (the sensitive eater) never did that well on Natural Balance. She needed more animal protein (in BB) vs the relatively high amount of plant based protein in NB. In order to feed her the amount she required, we'd have to give her a ton of food, and all the fiber just did a number on her. Are you feeding your dog the same volume of food? If the BB is more nutrient dense, yet you are still feeding the same volume, it'll likely have more of everything else (including fiber), and that would be akin to switching you to Kashi out of the blue and expecting you to not make toilet roosters.

Vehicles
      10-31-2012 02:39 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      and all the fiber just did a number on her. Are you feeding your dog the same volume of food? If the BB is more nutrient dense, yet you are still feeding the same volume, it'll likely have more of everything else (including fiber), and that would be akin to switching you to Kashi out of the blue and expecting you to not make toilet roosters.
      these are two things to think about as well.

too much fiber can cause issues.

additionally the amount of food you feed is important. i have found that higher quality food will nearly always have more calories per cup, so you dont really need to feed the same quantity.

so with Natural Balance maybe you need to feed 3 cups (358/cup), while with Innova EVO you need maybe 2 cups (537/cup).

even among the same food brand going from the chicken to the beef blend can have a difference in calories per cup. for example, we feed Acana. the prairie harvest is 420/cup, the ranchlands is 460/cup.

through very specific tracking we have determined that our GSP needs about 650 cal/day and our Vizsla needs about 760 cal/day... this is to maintain weight at their typical level of activity. for acana that means about 1.5 cups for the GSP and 1.75 cups for the Vizsla.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

Vehicles
      14 CC R-LINE, 14 Tiguan R-Line, 14 GLI AB DSG+Nav SOLD, 13 Jetta TDi Prem DIED, 12 Jetta TDi TRADED
      10-31-2012 02:49 PM #48
      Yes I give him the same amount of food. I didn't realize the difference. Good point. Though I think he just hates BB. Wen he pokes his face in the bowl he makes a face as if though he's disgusted! Lol.
      What if I mix in some BB canned food to encourage him to eat it? Would it have the same effect? Too much protein?
      Last edited by HD9280; 10-31-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Vehicles
      10-31-2012 03:05 PM #49
      Yes I give him the same amount of food. I didn't realize the difference. Good point. Though I think he just hates BB. Wen he pokes his face in the bowl he makes a face as if though he's disgusted! Lol.
      What if I mix in some BB canned food to encourage him to eat it? Would it have the same effect? Too much protein?
      ivet food
      couldnt find cal per cup...

Nutrient Content (%)
      Crude Protein (Min.)
      Crude Fat (Min.)
      Crude Fiber (Max.)

blue buffalo
      442 Kcals/cup
      Crude Protein 24.0% min
      Crude Fat 14.0% min
      Crude Fiber 4.0% max

unless you are using
      blue wilderness.
      410 Kcals/cup
      Crude Protein 34.0% min
      Crude Fat 15.0% min
      Crude Fiber 6.5% max
      epitome

Vehicles
      10-31-2012 06:34 PM #50
      ^ thanks for the info! I will give him time to get used to BB. Sounds like I'll most definitely be cutting back on quantity.

16. 11-05-2012 10:44 PM #51
      I rotate through 3 brands (not including different flavors they offer):
      Orijen
      Wellness Core
      Innova Evo (tend to skip this rotation often though)

Every so often I mix Nature's Variety Instinct raw frozen food with his dry food.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      11-05-2012 11:13 PM #52
      Switched to Blue Buffalo after a scare with food based products from China.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      A lack of knowledge and facts has never once slowed down The Car Lounge.
      Quote Originally Posted by alexislow View Post
      Can we get pictures of your feet in return? Just the feet.

18. Member
      11-06-2012 07:17 PM #53
      I was feeding the dogs Castor&Pollux Organix but switched to Precise Holistic after moving from PetCo to PetValu since PetCo discontinued their buy 10 get 1 free program.

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      12-27-2012 05:49 PM #54
      In addition to the Spring Naturals grain free we have started mixing in half a raw pattie, in one word AMAZING. Poops are small and hard and his coat is stunning. I know there has been some flak on both sides about a raw diet, but from what I have seen it has worked out great for us.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbaK3LloAg

You like hip hop? Click it. New Vid every week.

01-20-2013 02:40 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      Orijen/Acana here...
      this, too.

No stomach problems, bad poops or any health issues whatsoever. Will stick with the various flavors offered by this company. Hope their oven comes back online soon...usually I switch it up more often with the medium sized bags but have had to buy the 29-ish lb. bags lately.
      Last edited by Mikepea; 01-20-2013 at 02:47 PM.

21. 01-20-2013 02:48 PM #56
      I've switched my pup over to Nature's Variety Instinct (previously feeding Taste of the Wild) a while back. He took to it very well.

Vehicles
      '05 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, '03 Triumph Speed 4, '82 pair of tired feet
      01-24-2013 07:46 PM #57
      My Jindo's are on Blue Buffalo senior. My girl is rather picky, and she likes it.
      "You're out of you're mind"
      "That's between me and my mind..."

Vehicles
      SLUG
      01-25-2013 01:24 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      I've switched my pup over to Nature's Variety Instinct (previously feeding Taste of the Wild) a while back. He took to it very well.
      That's the Raw we use. My dog loves it.

I want to switch him off of Taste of the Wild because it makes his breath STINK.

Vehicles
      01-25-2013 03:02 PM #59
      seen this thread pop up a couple times... so update:

still feeding acana regionals. dogs are both still healthy as can be.
      epitome

Vehicles
      2010 Chevrolet Cobalt/1982 Dodge Ramcharger (project)
      02-01-2013 02:13 PM #60
      Hey all, just saw this thread..

My wife and I aren't completely brand loyal, but we've found certain brands, even the good ones, would cause our Molly to itch like crazy. The only two brands that we found that worked for her so far are the Kirkland signature brand, and this one called Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.

I found it to be brilliant stuff for ours, but if you haven't given it a shot, and you think your dog may have some allergies, you might try this stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12