Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wu Bin, Chinese Bus Driver, Praised For Saving Passengers In Freak Accident

1. 06-03-2012 03:17 PM #1
      BEIJING -- Chinese are hailing a bus driver who maintained control of his vehicle and ensured passengers' safety despite being struck by a chunk of iron that smashed through his windscreen.

Wu Bin ultimately died of his injuries from Tuesday's freak accident, but not before braking, shifting gears and telling passengers not to wander onto the highway. His hometown of Hangzhou in eastern China has praised him as a hero and a role model.

Dramatic security camera footage broadcast Sunday on state television showed the object hitting Wu and his calm handling of the situation, despite being in obvious pain. Wu died Friday.

China has a history of praising acts of selflessness and courage to inspire responsibility in an increasingly competitive and sometimes callous society.
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1566122.html

RIP. What a hero. Makes me cringe every time I watch it..

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      06-03-2012 03:39 PM #2
      And not one passenger goes to check on the guy writhing in obvious pain, despite clear sighs that something has happened (glass nreaking, stopping on a highway, etc.)...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      '00/Audi/S4
      06-03-2012 03:43 PM #3
      Definitely a cool, focused driver. RIP.
      Signature blank...

06-03-2012 03:45 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      And not one passenger goes to check on the guy writhing in obvious pain, despite clear sighs that something has happened (glass nreaking, stopping on a highway, etc.)...
      Probably too furious that they wouldn't reach their destination in a timely manner.
      Texts Between Men: Do you think a lobster could eat a license plate?

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I've sucd di lsks bigger than. You

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI Autobahn
      06-03-2012 03:56 PM #5
      I was expecting this:

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      06-03-2012 06:48 PM #6
      Ok I'm going to go ahead and be a dick by saying why is he a hero? Cause he stopped the bus instead of being killed instantly? What else could he have done? I hate when acting like a normal person is hailed as being a hero. Sucks that he got killed by random flying road debris though. Anyone have a clue what it was?

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      06-03-2012 06:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by RobMarkToo View Post
      Ok I'm going to go ahead and be a dick by saying why is he a hero? Cause he stopped the bus instead of being killed instantly? What else could he have done? I hate when acting like a normal person is hailed as being a hero. Sucks that he got killed by random flying road debris though. Anyone have a clue what it was?
      Any normal person is going to freak out when they get nailed by debris like that. Keeping calm enough to think and follow through with the steps to bring a vehicle to a safe stop is pretty damn heroic.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      06-03-2012 07:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Any normal person is going to freak out when they get nailed by debris like that. Keeping calm enough to think and follow through with the steps to bring a vehicle to a safe stop is pretty damn heroic.
      I'm sure he was freaking out, but wouldn't your instinct be to stop, not really requiring thought? I'm glad he didn't just go unconscious and drive off the road. But if he was conscious, then what else could he do... just keep going and say oh its only a flesh wound?

Vehicles
      E82M & V40 T4 R-Design
      06-03-2012 07:07 PM #9
      I'm sure he was freaking out, but wouldn't your instinct be to stop, not really requiring thought? I'm glad he didn't just go unconscious and drive off the road. But if he was conscious, then what else could he do... just keep going and say oh its only a flesh wound?
      The dude just got hammered, literally, with a blow heavy enough that it killed him. Most probably would have just given up right there.

The dude did his job. I think that's good enough for me.

Vehicles
      06-03-2012 07:07 PM #10
      MY first instinct would be to stop, yeah. But then, I'm a trained bus driver and have been doing this for 5 years now. Looking at how people react to things that don't even hit them while they're out driving, though, swerving and not-braking seems to be much more the typical reaction.

Besides, he downshifted and brought it to a controlled stop, rather than a "foot jammed on the brake while in gear" panic stop. Didn't bob and swerve around severely at all from what the video showed, kept it on the road and in control.

I'm not saying that any of his actions were out of the ordinary, but the circumstances under which he did ordinary tasks make it extraordinary.

If something smashed through my windscreen and lanced my guts on route, I'm not certain I'd have been that calm about stopping myself.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      BMW E39
      06-03-2012 07:13 PM #11
      Whatever that thing was it knocked the chi out of that dude.

12. 06-03-2012 07:14 PM #12
      Tell us about the time you saved 100 kids from a burning school house.
      No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      06-03-2012 07:14 PM #13
      how come nobody helped him or even checked on him?
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

14. 06-03-2012 07:16 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by under the radar View Post
      China.

4reals.
      No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

15. 06-03-2012 07:29 PM #15
      People in China don't care about others?

"China: Toddler Run Over Twice, Over A Dozen Passersby Ignore Her"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1016187.html

Not to stray, but my Grandma (82 years old) said that when she was growing up, no one cared out abortion, or other "life" issues. This in the deep south btw. Seems we have grown caring very recently.
      Last edited by Brett92; 06-03-2012 at 07:32 PM.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      06-03-2012 07:42 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      Tell us about the time you saved 100 kids from a burning school house.
      Does it count if it was a dream? I like dreaming that I'm saving people from a plane crash that happened in my back yard. For reals I'd probably just watch though and upload it to youtube like the rest of the sheeple.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      06-03-2012 07:43 PM #17
      Okay good point.

Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      MY first instinct would be to stop, yeah. But then, I'm a trained bus driver and have been doing this for 5 years now. Looking at how people react to things that don't even hit them while they're out driving, though, swerving and not-braking seems to be much more the typical reaction.

Besides, he downshifted and brought it to a controlled stop, rather than a "foot jammed on the brake while in gear" panic stop. Didn't bob and swerve around severely at all from what the video showed, kept it on the road and in control.

I'm not saying that any of his actions were out of the ordinary, but the circumstances under which he did ordinary tasks make it extraordinary.

If something smashed through my windscreen and lanced my guts on route, I'm not certain I'd have been that calm about stopping myself.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      06-03-2012 07:48 PM #18
      Yeah, he didn't single-handedly save 100 orphans from a burning building, but he still did the right thing, very well, despite his personal sacrifice. Stories like this serve to remind us all to be better humans
      A2Resource

19. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-03-2012 08:44 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      They knew they were being video recorded.
      None of them wanted the Chinese government to think they were human rights activists.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

20. Member
      06-03-2012 09:08 PM #20
      Mensch.

21. 06-03-2012 09:09 PM #21

Because it's inefficient. He's damaged beyond repair.
      Mission to crush capitalist pigs is greater than one man's problem.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      06-03-2012 09:40 PM #22
      RIP I also was wondering why did no one check on him???
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      06-03-2012 09:47 PM #23
      Like a boss.
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

24. 06-03-2012 09:53 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      RIP I also was wondering why did no one check on him???
      I don't want to sound like d**k...but there's nothing passengers could have done to help him.
      His vital organs went through shock and were slowly shutting down.
      Unless there was donor, surgeon and operating room on the bus...he had no chance.

In this video you can't even see any visible injuries...

Last edited by TASVW; 06-03-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Panda Smart
      06-03-2012 09:59 PM #25
      The dumb comments on here.....only in America.

RIP

Vehicles
      Lots of cars....needs more garage space!
      06-03-2012 10:12 PM #26
      Yeah, you said it yourself......you're a dick.

27. 06-03-2012 10:21 PM #27
      a hero is a person who responds and acts to a situation that selflessly puts others interest ahead of their own, sometimes making the ultimate sacrifice

similar to an armed services member to , while shot, protects the ppl around him/her

28. 06-04-2012 12:50 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
      The dude just got hammered, literally, with a blow heavy enough that it killed him. Most probably would have just given up right there.

The dude did his job. I think that's good enough for me.

The caption in Chinese read "Driver slowed down gradually and pulled over to the side. He then pulled the handbrake and safely parked the vehicle."

He did it for the sake of his passengers.

Vehicles
      Volvo C30 T5 6sp manual / Mazda5 5sp manual
      06-04-2012 01:15 AM #29
      Props and RIP

30. Member
      06-04-2012 02:19 PM #30
      Ouch. That man endured a fatal blow before safely conducting a huge bus full of passengers to a secure location. He may not be an intentional hero but he should be remembered for doing a heck of a job in light of his critical situation.
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

31. 06-04-2012 02:24 PM #31
      Ok I'm a dick
      At least you admit it.

32. 06-04-2012 02:30 PM #32
      Not to defend the other guy, but hero does get thrown around a lot these days. Remember Jessica Lynch?

With that said, in this case, the driver did more than the vast majority of people would have done in the same situation. To sum it up, he could've done less, but he didn't. Not sure if he's necessary a hero, but I respect him.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

33. 06-05-2012 08:46 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post
      Ouch. That man endured a fatal blow before safely conducting a huge bus full of passengers to a secure location. He may not be an intentional hero but he should be remembered for doing a heck of a job in light of his critical situation.

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 09:32 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      Not to defend the other guy, but hero does get thrown around a lot these days. Remember Jessica Lynch?

With that said, in this case, the driver did more than the vast majority of people would have done in the same situation. To sum it up, he could've done less, but he didn't. Not sure if he's necessary a hero, but I respect him.
      Certainly extraordinary, and his actions could be viewed as heroic. I think it's good that China is hailing people who think beyond themselves as heroes, personally.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      06-05-2012 03:34 PM #35
      Really weird in that video where he gets up you can't see any blood or anything. Completely blunt trauma perhaps? Maybe internal bleeding did him in..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast