Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spied: 2013 Acura RLX

06-04-2012 04:54 PM #1

Quote Originally Posted by Temple of VTEC
      A friend of one of our readers captured this nearly undisguised RLX trolling the streets of Torrance yesterday. The shooter says this photo was taken at Torrance Blvd and Crenshaw Blvd in Torrance nearby Honda headquarters.
      Link

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      06-04-2012 05:07 PM #2
      Yes

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      06-04-2012 05:15 PM #3
      I don't understand why Acura doesn't bring back the Legend name for this car. Even if they want to stick with the letter names for their other models, the RL has been basically a slow-motion flop since it launched back in the '90s. After all that time, I bet Acura Legend is still a much more recognized name than Acura RL. Bringing back the name would be a good way to reboot.

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-04-2012 05:22 PM #4
      The back reminds me of a Camry/Lexus.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      06-04-2012 05:25 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rimtrim View Post
      I don't understand why Acura doesn't bring back the Legend name for this car. Even if they want to stick with the letter names for their other models, the RL has been basically a slow-motion flop since it launched back in the '90s. After all that time, I bet Acura Legend is still a much more recognized name than Acura RL. Bringing back the name would be a good way to reboot.

-Andrew L
      Yup...they missed a huge opportunity to say "We are BACK" by reviving the Legend name in conjunction with the NSX.

American Honda still have their heads up their asses, as far as I'm concerned.

Tetsuo--you don't see any of the last-gen BMW 7-series in there? I do.

There is some Lexus resemblance, but that's inevitable.

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      06-04-2012 05:35 PM #6

-Andrew L
      Yah, that name is like a Legend or sumptin tss tsss
      11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      06-04-2012 05:40 PM #7

-Andrew L
      I'd read an article in a car magazine around the time the Legend and Vigor names were replaced by letters. Acura felt that people were talking about their new Integra, their new Legend, and people were not mentioning the name Acura where as Lexus or Infiniti customers would proudly boast about their new Lexus or Infiniti. I noticed it myself, people would mention Legend yet never Acura. The same conversation might contain "the big Infiniti" or the "Lexus coupe". They wanted the brand to stand out more then the models.

However, with cars like the Legend (which remained the Honda Legend in places where the Acura name does not exist) becoming cars like the RL it's no wonder the brand lost interest among buyers.

Went from a desirable coupe and sedan.

To a very dull sedan that did nothing better then any other car in it's class in one generation.

Why don't they bring back the nameplates? They need brand recognition more then ever and if they still believe what they did in the 90's then we won't see an Acura with anything more then letters and numbers anytime soon.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Vehicles
      1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      06-04-2012 06:01 PM #8
      Changing the name is going to make people whine about their cars less?

Hell, I get the feeling some of you would complain about their cars even more than you already do:

"OMG, how dare they tarnish the Integra name with this POS!"

"LOL, you call that a Legend? Honda has lost its way!!"

Some of you are already up in arms about the new NSX.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      Lexus
      06-04-2012 06:19 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Nitzer View Post
      I'd read an article in a car magazine around the time the Legend and Vigor names were replaced by letters. Acura felt that people were talking about their new Integra, their new Legend, and people were not mentioning the name Acura where as Lexus or Infiniti customers would proudly boast about their new Lexus or Infiniti.
      Yup, that was the reason. The Legend and Integra names were overshadowing the Acura brand name.

I don't think naming it "Legend" would do that much for sales, but it would be an interesting experiment though. RLX sounds silly to me.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      06-04-2012 06:29 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DrewSXR View Post
      Yup, that was the reason. The Legend and Integra names were overshadowing the Acura brand name.

I don't think naming it "Legend" would do that much for sales, but it would be an interesting experiment though. RLX sounds silly to me.
      Sadly names, names some of us thought were pretty cool like Vigor (I really liked that one) and names that had style like Legend would make very little difference in today's market.

06-04-2012 08:40 PM #11
      Working at Acura dealership most of the customers that own a RL's are 60+ so the RLX cant be that Xtreme. If it was it would run the risk of messing with its target audience. The RL has always been for the older crowd. Plus they already show the RLX on the acura website under future models.

And for the people that are saying Acura has lost its way, they havent. Acura just grew up..
      its time to let go. No more need4speed fartcan fast fastbacks, this is a more mature Acura now.

These commercials show how acura has "grown up"
      as in not targeting college kids anymore and targeting college graduates.

Last edited by czykvw; 06-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Vehicles
      1966 VW Type 1 Sedan, 1904cc
      06-04-2012 09:15 PM #12
      looks like a bunch of re-hashed Lexus lines and styling cues.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

13. 06-04-2012 10:04 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
      Yah, that name is like a Legend or sumptin tss tsss
      Oh, Chip.

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      06-04-2012 10:14 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by DrewSXR View Post
      Yes that's the same reason Lincoln gave for switching to the MK names. That strategy is working so well for both of them

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      06-04-2012 11:37 PM #15
      My only commentary is anyone who thinks just slapping the name Legend on the back of the RL/RLX car will result in increased sales is cray cray.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

16. 06-04-2012 11:56 PM #16
      I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with the new RLX. From this video it looks like a very imposing and elegant vehicle.

Vehicles
      Two wheels+two pedals+Ale-powered kangaroo.
      06-05-2012 12:03 AM #17
      I don't understand why Acura doesn't bring back the Legend name for this car.
      Don't worry. The name Legend still exists, only if you buy it as a Honda though.

Oh, and you'd have to travel overseas to pick one.

18. 06-05-2012 12:17 AM #18
      I don't like the front end treatments on any Acura, those grills are horrible. There was a thread here about the MDX and how people see them everywhere, so maybe they have enough out there who like their current design philosophy. I guess I'm not their taget audience. The car in the above video seems like a show car, blingy super big wheels and "out there"gimmicky headlights. This is suppose to target sixty year olds?

19. 06-05-2012 12:58 AM #19
      Thr problem with the 1996 Acura RL was that it was a 1991-1995 legend in drag. Honda cheaped out and didnt make it all new on top of that kept it around for so damn long. I had high hopes for the current RL but the TLs styling was so elegant that I just couldn't bring myself to like its bland jellybean looks.

Vehicles
      2010 Camry LE 4-cyl
      06-07-2012 02:30 AM #20
      I wonder if Rolex will take issue with the RLX nameplate.

06-15-2012 08:55 PM #21

22. 06-15-2012 10:10 PM #22
      Always were nice cars.

Although too bad it's not an RSX (Integra) instead of an RLX - then I might start caring about Acura's again.

23. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      06-15-2012 10:43 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      It reminds me of how Honda set themselves apart long ago by being the first Japanese company to set up a luxury division in the USA, that now is about as exciting as the Camry you mentioned, even with the upcoming new NSX.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      06-15-2012 10:57 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Nitzer View Post
      Went from a desirable coupe and sedan.

To a very dull sedan that did nothing better then any other car in it's class in one generation.
      I'm sorry, but they both look bland. That Legend looks like a luxo Accord of the same vintage. Throw the Legend rims on the RL and it looks better; throw the RL rims on the Legend and it looks dull.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

25. Member
      06-15-2012 10:58 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      Thr problem with the 1996 Acura RL was that it was a 1991-1995 legend in drag. Honda cheaped out and didnt make it all new on top of that kept it around for so damn long. I had high hopes for the current RL but the TLs styling was so elegant that I just couldn't bring myself to like its bland jellybean looks.
      My Dad owned two of the Legends, a chipped GS coupe with the 6 speed and a 94' sedan. The coupe was amazing. It was the first car I ever rode passenger at 125mph+ in. He then bought the first gen RL, lowered it and put 18s on. I remember him letting me borrow that car when I was teenager and it still definitely turned heads. Then came a 99' RL, that was his last one. He said it had digressed way to much from the first coupe he had. It was pretty yawn zzzz

26. 06-16-2012 01:51 PM #26
      It better come with wheels like the concept not some bland swirly 5 spokes like every other acura sedan

27. Member
      Vehicles
      97 4Runner, 02 M3, 04 Challenge Stradale
      06-16-2012 09:50 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by czykvw View Post
      And for the people that are saying Acura has lost its way, they havent. Acura just grew up..
      That must be why when the new TL came out they sold thirty percent less than the previous year.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI Autobahn
      06-16-2012 09:54 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski1 View Post
      My Dad owned two of the Legends, a chipped GS coupe with the 6 speed and a 94' sedan. The coupe was amazing. It was the first car I ever rode passenger at 125mph+ in. He then bought the first gen RL, lowered it and put 18s on. I remember him letting me borrow that car when I was teenager and it still definitely turned heads. Then came a 99' RL, that was his last one. He said it had digressed way to much from the first coupe he had. It was pretty yawn zzzz

From a mechanical point of view, weren't they all really the same car?

Vehicles
      Turbocharged, AWD Volvo
      06-17-2012 08:29 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with the new RLX. From this video it looks like a very imposing and elegant vehicle.

Actually, to my eye, it looks worse in this video then in the spy photos. It looks generic, with Cruse taillights and a completely emotionless and forgettable fascia.

The Hybrid AWD tech looks interesting, but that doesn't say luxury, neither does a stupid sport button!

And why did they copy Buick's commercial?
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      The fact that some people here are able to make words on a keyboard and find the "submit reply" button really has me in awe.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      Not sure if serious, so I'll put it in terms you can understand: your and idiot.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      06-17-2012 08:50 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
      Actually, to my eye, it looks worse in this video then in the spy photos. It looks generic, with Cruse taillights and a completely emotionless and forgettable fascia.

The Hybrid AWD tech looks interesting, but that doesn't say luxury, neither does a stupid sport button!

And why did they copy Buick's commercial?
      I think quite the opposite. I think it looks fantastic- but then again I'm a sucker for anything with tube led tails

Seriously though, the car doesn't need to completely stand out and be boldly different from everything else on the road. Acura tried that with the TSX/TL/RL and the finished product was awkward. I like the fact Acura is getting back to their roots of making handsome and timeless designs that may be mildly generic but still elegant and beautiful.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2000, '05 MDX, '06 Accord EX-L
      06-17-2012 02:18 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      Thanks for posting that video. I have no doubt that Honda still has the best engineers around.

Automotive News has a good piece on Honda. Basically they've spend the last couple of years turning the company upside-down and they're just about finished with that. There are very good things to come.

I hope so, it's my favorite car company. I know it's an internet trend to bang on Honda, and if you're a moron internet blogger you can easily write dumbass stories about Honda's demise. I think Honda is about to be epic again.
      You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      06-17-2012 02:20 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      me too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

06-17-2012 02:31 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
      That must be why when the new TL came out they sold thirty percent less than the previous year.
      True. But I see the new TL everywhere now. So it was a rough start, mainly because of that beak, didnt transfer well in advertisements. Its just one of those cars you had to see in person. And people did, and no its everywhere like a 3 series. And the design is radical, but its still a TL.
      Same sleek, long headlights, same exact grille outline, but instead of being open its filled in. Same with the bottom pointy grille inserts. Same side profile, long front with a short trunk. Just like the previous gen.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      06-17-2012 08:45 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by czykvw View Post
      True. But I see the new TL everywhere now. So it was a rough start, mainly because of that beak, didnt transfer well in advertisements. Its just one of those cars you had to see in person. And people did, and no its everywhere like a 3 series. And the design is radical, but its still a TL.
      Same sleek, long headlights, same exact grille outline, but instead of being open its filled in. Same with the bottom pointy grille inserts. Same side profile, long front with a short trunk. Just like the previous gen.
      The RL did not have a beak originally. The problem was that the brand had less cache the other brands and even less every year. The car was not bad looking yet reviewers said it had a smaller interior then it's direct competitors. Also the looks were really nothing too impressive, not bad yet not distinct.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi, 06 RRS
      06-17-2012 10:25 PM #35
      the RLX is the first Acura I have actually liked in a LONG time.

I think it looks great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast