Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 93 Eurovan Manual Transmission Problems

1. 06-05-2012 10:53 AM #1
      So I just bought a 93 Eurovan manual trans and found out the tranny might be out... I want to fix it myself but want to know how hard would it be to replace the whole tranny or if anyone might have any ideas on how the check if it is shot. So the person who sold it to me said it shook really hard while he was driving it and took it in to get it checked out. The mechanics told him the tranny was shot, but when I looked at all the service records it seems they have worked on it in the past. How do I tell if the tranny is shot? How do I know if these guys are jerking my chain? If anyone can help or just two cents on what I should do I would appriciate it. Many spanks.

2. 06-05-2012 12:15 PM #2
      Depends on what the issue and symptoms really are. "shook really hard while driving" unfortunately doesn't tell us much. It is a vibration while letting up the clutch or disengaging the clutch? When clutch is fully up and just cruising along? When slowing down or when accelerating?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8T tip, 01 NB TDI manual
      06-05-2012 12:20 PM #3
      I would look at the motor and tranny mounts first for shaking symptoms. It's an easy fix if that's the only problem. I had a van with all of the mounts toasted and it shook badly. It's easy to miss because the weight of the engine presses the mount into place but under load the engine will rotate and shift and the whole van will shake.

4. 06-05-2012 12:53 PM #4
      Agreed. I didn't have what I'd call a shaking problem, but the van was very loud at idle and made all sorts of vibration noises, etc. and the 5-cylinder's thrum was so amplified that it sounded like it was misfiring. New mounts all around (three of them) made a world of difference in the noise and idle in the van is nice and smooth and quiet now.

5. 06-05-2012 04:47 PM #5
      Thanks guys. I will check it out and get back.

6. 06-07-2012 11:26 PM #6
      So I got the van and it seems to make a grinding noise when I start to disengage the clutch and when I start to move in first gear. So I guess it is the tranny... right? Sorry for the ignorance guys but I thank you in advance for some advice.

7. 06-08-2012 12:16 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by chiefnslo View Post
      So I got the van and it seems to make a grinding noise when I start to disengage the clutch and when I start to move in first gear. So I guess it is the tranny... right? Sorry for the ignorance guys but I thank you in advance for some advice.
      Hmmmm I'm guessing clutch throwout bearing on that one.

8. 06-18-2012 11:41 PM #8
      Right on, thanks gti_matt.
      It had a new clutch kit installed less than two years ago. I think it still might be under warranty. Gonna call the guys who have been doing the work on it for the last 3 years and see if they can help... don't think it will work but it’s worth a shot.

9. 06-22-2012 01:23 PM #9
      New clutch needed. Anyone in California know where I can score one at a good price. Going to install myself.

10. 06-22-2012 02:17 PM #10
      Gowesty Cost+10% has then in CA stock
      free shipping on orders over $50

http://www.gowestyautoparts.com/1993...onents/Clutch/

New clutch needed. Anyone in California know where I can score one at a good price. Going to install myself.

11. 06-24-2012 01:12 PM #11
      right on thanks.

12. 07-25-2012 06:41 PM #12
      oh this sucks. so i finally got the tranny out and was changing the clutch when i noticed that there was some metal debris in the gears. my luck. anyway, now i need to find a decent price on a gear assembly, rebuilt tranny or just sell it. gonna check gowesty but if anyone else knows where to hook a guy up then please let me know.

13. 07-26-2012 12:40 PM #13
      bummer...that sucks.

There's this van over in the classifieds but IDK if the trans is left or not...it was a popularly-asked-for-item and the thread is not very recent either.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...part-out/page2

Also check on the classifieds at http://www.thesamba.com. I only see a couple of ATs right now but keep looking for a MT; they pop up every now and then.

I'd also keep checking craigslist in your area too for any parted Eurovans.

14. 07-26-2012 04:14 PM #14
      right on thanks gti_matt, i will keep positive and a hope that one day i can get this ride on the road where it belongs...

15. 07-26-2012 04:34 PM #15
      right on thanks gti_matt, i will keep positive and a hope that one day i can get this ride on the road where it belongs...
      I know how that feels. Between finding free weekends to devote to it, getting the motivation, and overcoming "everything that can go wrong does go wrong", mine has been off the road for at least 5 months now.

BTW consider upgrading 5th gear to a taller gear in the process:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5118728

16. 07-30-2012 02:13 PM #16
      oh this sucks. so i finally got the tranny out and was changing the clutch when i noticed that there was some metal debris in the gears. my luck. anyway, now i need to find a decent price on a gear assembly, rebuilt tranny or just sell it. gonna check gowesty but if anyone else knows where to hook a guy up then please let me know.
      Sent you a PM

17. 07-30-2012 04:40 PM #17
      This ad is kinda old but...
      http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1160011

I know nothing about it but hopefully it's still for sale.

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      1993 Volksvagen Eurovan GL Rauchblau
      08-10-2012 08:45 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Hmmmm I'm guessing clutch throwout bearing on that one.
      I second that one... had the same thing happen to me a little while back to my 93 eurovan gl and i had to get the clutch replaced. It lasted about 200 miles after it started the noise though...

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1995 Rialta,
      09-30-2012 05:04 PM #19
      I am looking for a manual transmission too and found a guy in Texas that has a transmission with a crack in one of the transmission housing due to accident and he wants $150 for it. You can swap the one piece of your good transmission housing to his and have a good unit. If you already found a good manual transmission, would you please sell me your bad transmission so that i can swap the housing to his crack transmission and use it for my auto to manual conversion project? I am in Orange County and will be happy to communicate on the phone if you give me your phone number, or give me a call at 949-500-9887. Thank you. Long

20. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1995 Rialta,
      12-18-2012 03:29 PM #20
      Did you have a chance to fix or replace your transmission? I am looking for a manual transmission unit for parts and would like to buy your core transmission if you already replaced it and still have the old one. Please let me know if you want to sell it. Thank you. Long/949-500-9887