Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets must now wear seatbelts in New Jersey

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iT '08 Xterra
      06-05-2012 11:34 AM #1
      WTF.

http://www.northwestohio.com/news/st...8#.T84lelKDl8E

Seat-belt your dog or face $1000 fine

We know...it sounds absurd.

"Click-it-or-ticket" warns us that we can, and will, get caught if we drive without a seatbelt. Most if not all states have now made it a primary offense under pressure from the Federal Government.

But one state wants to extend the "click" to man's best friend riding in the passenger seat and sticking his head out the window.

Under New Jersey Statute 4:22-18, unrestrained pets in vehicles is an act of animal cruelty, and drivers who don’t secure their pooch in a pet seat belt will be subject to fines, ranging from $250 to $1,000 and as much as six months in jail.

"That’s for each offense,” Col. Frank Rizzo, police superintendent for the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Animal Cruelty, said Wednesday, according to The Bergen Record,“So, if you have more than one animal loose in your car, just do the math…”

“Some people tell us they like to let their pets hang their heads out the window to take in the fresh air,” Rizzo said, “but dogs and cats become projectiles in a crash.”

Oddly...allowing adults to ride unrestrained in the back had not been considered worthy of penalty until the Legislature closed this loophole in December 2009, although back-seat restraints have long been required for children.

“It’s crazy,” said Les Goldstein, a former Clifton, N.J. cop who is coordinating a Memorial Day crackdown in North Jersey which continues through Sunday. “It should be common sense.”

“It’s much cheaper to invest about $25 in a restraint system than to deal with the consequences of a crash,” Administrator Ray Martinez told the Record as he helped hook Finley, his frisky golden retriever-poodle mix, into a harness.

Driver inattention is the leading cause of road deaths in New Jersey and nationally, according to 2010 National Highway Transportation Administration figures — 5,400 nationwide and 130 statewide.

NHTSA doesn’t tally animal deaths, but Rizzo noted that traditional safety devices can be lethal for unrestrained pets.

“If you drive with your dog in your lap,” he said, “imagine what happens if the airbag deploys.”

2. 06-05-2012 11:35 AM #2
      Good.
      If people actually cared about their pets they would have been doing this all along.

3. 06-05-2012 11:37 AM #3
      Good for New Jersey.

One thing I cant stand is seeing lap dogs walking all over or sitting on driver's laps while they are driving. Airbags, what?

Vehicles
      65 Volvo 1800S, 09 Cayman
      06-05-2012 11:46 AM #4
      Denying Barkles the right to stick his head out the window is un-American. Good thing I live in a sensible state like California.

5. 06-05-2012 11:46 AM #5
      Having two dogs myself...this is a good thing.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      06-05-2012 11:48 AM #6
      I don't mind pets not being in a seatbelt but in a drivers lap is ridiculous. Although I'm sure the people who are fighting over in the texting while driving thread would disagree and say it's no more distracting than playing with your radio or talking to a friend in the car.

My dog knows better and was taught early on that sitting in the drivers lap is a no no. He stays in the backseat or on his side and does not cross the threshold that is the center console.

7. 06-05-2012 11:49 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Denying Barkles the right to stick his head out the window is un-American. Good thing I live in a sensible state like California.

Did I miss something It doesn't say anything about not allowing dogs to stick their heads out. They just need to have some type of harness on them.

Vehicles
      '02 GTI, '09 Passat 2.0t, '14 Mazda CX-5
      06-05-2012 11:52 AM #8
      Apparently this isn't a new law...

a 16-year-old New Jersey statute — 4:22-18 — imposes harsh penalties because it defines unrestrained pets in cars as animal cruelty, said the SPCA superintendent.
      Guess they are actually cracking down on it now.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      06-05-2012 11:52 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      This is a GOOD thing! My Mini Schnauzer only rides with a harness/seatbelt.

"Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

10. 06-05-2012 11:53 AM #10
      "unrestrained pets in vehicles is an act of animal cruelty"

Really America? Animal Cruelty?

This rates right up there with charging somebody with assualt on a police officer if they kick a police dog trying to bite them.

It's just really, really dumb.

06-05-2012 11:54 AM #11
      I've been doing this for yrs. Dogs can be a big distraction when driving. That's all we need in NJ, more driving distractions.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      06-05-2012 11:55 AM #12
      I fully expect everyone from the Ohio texting law thread to vehemently defend this law ...

13. 06-05-2012 11:56 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      I don't mind pets not being in a seatbelt but in a drivers lap is ridiculous. Although I'm sure the people who are fighting over in the texting while driving thread would disagree and say it's no more distracting than playing with your radio or talking to a friend in the car.

My dog knows better and was taught early on that sitting in the drivers lap is a no no. He stays in the backseat or on his side and does not cross the threshold that is the center console.
      Thus you're in violation. Hope that's not too distracting.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      06-05-2012 11:56 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by That1njguy View Post
      I've been doing this for yrs. Dogs can be a big distraction when driving. That's all we need in NJ, more driving distractions.
      I tried driving with my mini schnauzer unbuckled ONE time... NEVER again. She was all over me, jumping from the front to the back of the car, trying to get in my lap, putting her paws on the steering wheel.

I turned the car around and put her right back in the house and ordered a harness that same day.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V, '08 Mazda3 GT
      06-05-2012 11:57 AM #15

Problem solved.

Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7, 2009 BMW 328i Sport, 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport, 2013 Volvo S60 T5
      06-05-2012 11:57 AM #16
      Ridiculous, just one more law I have to worry about when I go to my shore house. First it was *****-ass gun laws and now my dog can't put his head out the window.

06-05-2012 12:02 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by chdavis View Post
      Ridiculous, just one more law I have to worry about when I go to my shore house. First it was *****-ass gun laws and now my dog can't put his head out the window.
      If you can afford to live on the main line, a shore house, afford 2 bmw's, you can afford a restraint. No where in the article did it mention they cannot have there heads out the windows. If you're trying to be funny, sorry I didn't get it.
      Last edited by That1njguy; 06-05-2012 at 12:23 PM.

18. Member LieutenantShinySides's Avatar
      Vehicles
      E39 M5
      06-05-2012 12:05 PM #18
      My wife and I use a pet barrier so our 3 dogs are confined to their own space in the back of our SUV and not free to wonder around the car. I didn't read whether that was sufficient or not, but I couldnt see myself seatbelting in a 135lb rottweiler with a chewing complex and a 20lb pug who is loosley related to Houdini. The beagle on the other hand, too lazy to care.
      (Oo=[][]=oO)

The art of trolling is easy. First, you must

There are two types of people in this world who don't have beards - women and children.

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 12:09 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      Did I miss something It doesn't say anything about not allowing dogs to stick their heads out. They just need to have some type of harness on them.
      How does a pooch stick their head out the window whilst confined to a harness?

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      06-05-2012 12:09 PM #20
      What about my cougar?
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

21. 06-05-2012 12:17 PM #21
      If you support managing "problems" like this by making laws then you are a dumbass and I hope you die.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      06-05-2012 12:18 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by sweetridebro View Post
      If you support managing "problems" like this by making laws then you are a dumbass and I hope you die.
      One can only hope ... truly, I think a global famine or killer pandemic is just about overdue ...

23. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      06-05-2012 12:21 PM #23
      My lab figured out how to release the seatbelt so she could get it detached from the harness and my pitbull ate through the seat belt in my Audi trying to get free, sorry NJ the fine is cheaper then the cost to keep replacing my seat belts. Prior to her eating through the belt she actually panicked a few times and ended up with the belt wrapped around her neck forcing me to pull over and get her free.

I'm all for belting them in, especially my lab since she will not stay still in the car and constantly tries to get into the front. My pit just passes out within 10 seconds of leaving the driveway, her up and about the car is not a problem for safety but I get restraining them due to injuries in accidents.

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      06-05-2012 12:22 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      What about my cougar?

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      06-05-2012 12:24 PM #25
      This is probably because cops mistook Snooki for a mutt.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      06-05-2012 12:25 PM #26

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      06-05-2012 12:27 PM #27

Vehicles
      Don't you know I sold them all...
      06-05-2012 12:29 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Amsterdam087 View Post
      its not your car...

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI Tornado Red
      06-05-2012 12:30 PM #29
      Yay, another reason to not ever set foot in Jersey... as if there weren't enough of them...

Another dumb law, maybe we should just make a law so that lawmakers cannot make any new laws

Vehicles
      01 Audi S4
      06-05-2012 12:32 PM #30
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ZtM...e_gdata_player

Surprised this has not been posted yet. Notice what is in the truck drivers lap.
      01 Audi S4 K04 stage III. 13 Accord Sport. Past 07 BMW 335i

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 12:32 PM #31

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      06-05-2012 12:35 PM #32
      I'll continue to drive with my dog in the passenger seat unrestrained. Thankfully, I don't live in Jersey and most dogs travel in beds of trucks around here.

I'll even let my dog sit on my lap once in a while to look out the window on my side. On my god I'm the devil!

Also, when a govt. tries to legislate so much, you get far more government then was ever intended. We need less laws, not more stupid ones.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      06-05-2012 12:35 PM #33

34. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      06-05-2012 12:35 PM #34
      Are you guys even thinking about WHY this is a law? Are you guys saying you think the law against unrestrained children in cars is stupid as well?

Let's see it from a cause and effect standpoint.

You have your dog in the backseat and you get into an accident:

1) Your dog may be ok and unharmed
      2) Your dog might get hurt
      3) Your dog might die
      4) Your dog become an unrestrained projectile causing YOU harm

Why wouldn't you want your dog to be safe? He's supposed to be your best friend and doesn't know how to put the seat belt on himself. So it's YOUR job as a pet owner to take care of him. If putting a harness on him is too much of a hassle, then you should NOT be a dog owner.

If you wouldn't do it to a 5 year old child, then you shouldn't do it to your dog. He's an innocent animal that needs your help for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Let me know how it turns out when you get in a wreck with Barkles head out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post

It has less to do with being a distraction and more to do with your dog getting hurt in the case of an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      "unrestrained pets in vehicles is an act of animal cruelty"

Really America? Animal Cruelty?

This rates right up there with charging somebody with assualt on a police officer if they kick a police dog trying to bite them.

It's just really, really dumb.
      It is an act of cruelty. You're putting your pet in potential danger.

Quote Originally Posted by chdavis View Post
      Keeping your animal safe from an accident is stupid? You should put your dog up for adoption. You don't sound like someone who should be responsible for another living animal's life.

It takes 10 sec to secure your pet in the car. Don't be stupid.

35. 06-05-2012 12:39 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by dos View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ZtM...e_gdata_player

Surprised this has not been posted yet. Notice what is in the truck drivers lap.
      ?? Looks like nothing except kids in the back seat. Nah, that can't ever be a problem...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast