Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crack on CC Trunk

1. 06-26-2012 03:40 AM #26
      Can anyone post a pic of the new metal part?

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      06-26-2012 06:15 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Faramarz1 View Post
      Can anyone post a pic of the new metal part?
      It looks exactly like the old plastic one, except it's made of metal

You honestly can't tell the difference when you look at them, and the only way to really tell it's metal is by tapping on it
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

For Sale ----> KW V1 Coilovers: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...W-V1-Coilovers

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line w/DSG
      06-26-2012 07:35 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      It looks exactly like the old plastic one, except it's made of metal

You honestly can't tell the difference when you look at them, and the only way to really tell it's metal is by tapping on it
      I find this so hard to believe they look exactly the same. One is black acrylic plastic, and the other is paint over aluminium (?). Also, you have a new problem... black paint on metal will start to crack and peel within couple of years depending on sunlight exposure. We'll see how long the paint lasts. IMHO, they replaced one issue with another and haven't really solved anything. Personally, I would rather replace the plastic myself for $150 every three years than have to repaint.
      Last edited by CCLarry; 06-26-2012 at 07:37 AM.
      Larry
      2012 CC R-Line, DSG (stock)

Vehicles
      2010 2.0T 6MT CC Iron Grey
      06-26-2012 10:02 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by CCLarry View Post
      I find this so hard to believe they look exactly the same. One is black acrylic plastic, and the other is paint over aluminium (?). Also, you have a new problem... black paint on metal will start to crack and peel within couple of years depending on sunlight exposure. We'll see how long the paint lasts. IMHO, they replaced one issue with another and haven't really solved anything. Personally, I would rather replace the plastic myself for $150 every three years than have to repaint.
      Not sure I follow you. How is black paint on this part different than the black paint a the car's body? Do you mean that it's not painted as well?

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      06-26-2012 10:04 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by CCLarry View Post
      Believe it buddy and your nuts if you think you'd rather stick with the plastic one that breaks compared to the metal one. Its identical you can't tell the difference other than when you tap on it like dan has mentioned.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, BSH Race Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH, CTS Turbo, ST Coilovers,AWE, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line w/DSG
      06-26-2012 10:12 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Pookie64 View Post
      Not sure I follow you. How is black paint on this part different than the black paint a the car's body? Do you mean that it's not painted as well?
      We'll see how they hold up. If they are painted properly with primer and clear coat, then they should be ok. I just figure they were not. That is why I want someone to post a pic or two so we can all see the result.
      Larry

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      06-26-2012 03:07 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      Believe it buddy and your nuts if you think you'd rather stick with the plastic one that breaks compared to the metal one. Its identical you can't tell the difference other than when you tap on it like dan has mentioned.
      x2 and thanks cronic

There is absolutely no way to tell the difference between the parts (physically) when they are brand new....except by tapping on it.

After a couple years....yeah the plastic one might be a little more faded than the metal, but still.

After they put the metal one on my car, I still couldn't believe it and tapped on it a bunch of times and could barely tell if it was metal (or the plastic version).

It's the same damn looking part though, 100%, and you won't see a difference (when new)
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

For Sale ----> KW V1 Coilovers: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...W-V1-Coilovers

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      06-26-2012 03:56 PM #33
      Just had mine replaced this morning. Pretty sure it is plastic though I haven't had time to really look at it close.

9. 06-26-2012 06:25 PM #34
      i had mine replaced the other week. had it for 2.5 years. took about 3hrs for them to replace it becuse they said there was alot of junk inderneath it and they had to bring it somewhere to clean it out.
      also while replacing it, they scratched the edge of my trunk. almost looks like the paint was melted. that scratch is about 3-4 inches wide. i brought it down to the dealer and the menager told me to bring it in for an hr or 2 and they will sand it out.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      new 13 tdi - old 2012 CC Urano Gray
      06-26-2012 07:25 PM #35
      i guess its my turn. found a crack in mine. called up the dealer, they scheduled me to bring it in which i did yesterday. The service guy wanted to see it in person so he could order the part. I told him when I found it I researched it on the tex and he just stopped talking. Then he said he had another one just last week. No replace yet as they got to order the piece and then I have to bring it in for an all day job. They say they got to bring the car to a body shop to change it. I have a 2012 CC Sport with under 13,000 miles in Cincinnati, OH.

Vehicles
      06-26-2012 07:47 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by bedlamfirm714 View Post
      i guess its my turn. found a crack in mine. called up the dealer, they scheduled me to bring it in which i did yesterday. The service guy wanted to see it in person so he could order the part. I told him when I found it I researched it on the tex and he just stopped talking. Then he said he had another one just last week. No replace yet as they got to order the piece and then I have to bring it in for an all day job. They say they got to bring the car to a body shop to change it. I have a 2012 CC Sport with under 13,000 miles in Cincinnati, OH.
      Your service guy is full of crap on an all day job. I brought mine in at 8 am and was done before ten literally two hours
      Last edited by MrRline; 06-27-2012 at 10:01 AM.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, BSH Race Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH, CTS Turbo, ST Coilovers,AWE, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      06-26-2012 08:16 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by cc-dub-dub View Post
      also while replacing it, they scratched the edge of my trunk
      They did that to mine too....except across the WHOLE area where the spoiler is

New Car Sales Manager said it's because the body shop should've done it....NOT the VW Tech....oh well
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '11 CC Lux, '07 X3 M-Sport
      06-26-2012 09:01 PM #38
      Mine is delaminating in two spots, will this warrant a replacement? I plan on bringing it up to them on Friday when I go in for my 30K service

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line w/DSG
      06-26-2012 10:23 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by jeff080 View Post
      Mine is delaminating in two spots, will this warrant a replacement? I plan on bringing it up to them on Friday when I go in for my 30K service
      take a pic when you get a chance
      Larry

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      06-27-2012 09:51 AM #40
      Your service guy is full of crap on an all day job. I brought move in at 8 am and was done before ten literally two hours
      Agreed. Mine was done in 2 hours.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Mocha Anthracite Metallic 2010 CC Sport 2.0T 6MT (RIP), Reflex Silver 2010 CC Sport 2.0T 6MT
      06-27-2012 10:26 AM #41
      And mine finally cracked yesterday.. time to make that call.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '11 CC Lux, '07 X3 M-Sport
      06-27-2012 08:08 PM #42
      Here's a picture of the delam. It's very hard to see in the pictures, I know. It's almost like the clear coat is coming off. Will it warrant a replacement? What do you guys think?

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      06-27-2012 09:23 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by jeff080 View Post
      Here's a picture of the delam. It's very hard to see in the pictures, I know. It's almost like the clear coat is coming off. Will it warrant a replacement? What do you guys think?

Might be covered under the paint/corrosion warranty

Doesn't hurt to ask THEM....because ultimately it's their call.....doesn't matter what we think, lol
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

Vehicles
      1998 A4 Quattro
      07-31-2012 09:31 AM #44
      Is there a TSB# for this?

The dreaded crack has appeared for me too in MD on my 2010
      "Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly"

Vehicles
      07-31-2012 09:48 AM #45
      Last I checked there is not a TSB number for this item however due to the frequency of replacements for this part there may now be a number.

Vehicles
      2010 Passat CC Mocha Anthracite ST Performance Coilovers 18" Samarkand w/Contineltal DWS
      07-31-2012 01:30 PM #46
      Does anyone know the install procedure for this? It sounds like it easy to install.

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      08-04-2012 06:18 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose View Post
      Does anyone know the install procedure for this? It sounds like it easy to install.
      Gotta break the old one trim piece off (comes off in pieces according to my service writer), very carefully
      Clean it all up
      Then glue the new one on
      2014 Passat VR6
      2015 Passat Sport

23. 10-04-2012 06:01 PM #48
      I picked up my CC used , its an 09. I saw when i bought it that there were two small stress cracks that were starting to appear. I saw that this was going to be an issue and checked on this forum and talked to other owners about it. Well I contacted my dealer and they were very accommodating and took care of it and replaced it with the new piece, at no cost, took an hour and a half. They stated that it is not a recall, just a courtesy due to VW being informed of the design flaw and material choice.So here it is , good as new.
      2009 CC Sport Mocha Brown Pearl

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      10-04-2012 09:30 PM #49
      Well, after getting rejected by VWoA 3 times, I finally got some love from a dealer one town over. I was in for some major work, mentioned the trim piece and they replaced it with the metal one at no cost. Looks great. But two weeks later, I have a paint nick in it.

Hey, at least it won't crack!
      2010 CC Sport 6MT, Clear turns, Modshack Intake, Unitronic Stage 1+, RNS 510 Upgrade, 9W7(L) upgrade, 10 spkr Audio Upgrade with Amp and 10" sub.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      10-04-2012 09:54 PM #50
      Thanks to this forum and post like this when I purchased my '10 CC recently the first thing I looked for was the cracked rear piece, and sure enough there it was. I pointed it out to my salesperson and they were more then happy to take care of it.

So thanks to the O.P. and everyone that contributed to this thread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast