Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Finally throwing away the zip lock bag.....

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      06-05-2012 03:31 PM #1
      I'm mostly a lurker here mainly in part because I never have much insight to ad

Until now..

I don't know about you, but I hate seat bags. First off, they're ugly. They look like an overgrown ball-sac hanging from the seat.

They also would rip my lycra shorts. I could never find a bag that would hold my stuff while not being wider then my seat. While also not making noise and scratching my seat post (I'm a lil OCD when it comes to scratches). The worst part, they ADD WEIGHT to my bike! Call me a weight weenie, whatevs..

So for years I've been using the ol' trusty Zip Lock bag for years. And it works. Other then being quite uncomfortable at times not to mention it can also look like I'm carrying a big bag of dog doodie in my jersey pocket or a potato. Then there was the time the mini tool ripped through then bag and my jersey But still, it enclosed everything I needed (Patches, ID, Keys, Tube, C02 and my iPhone in case of an emergency), and there was no better alternative.

During a group ride on Memorial Day, I noticed this black type pack that this guy had in his jersey in front of me. The group I was riding with wasn't a bunch of chatter boxes so I figured it was best to wait at our next drop point to meet more riders.

So we get to talking, turns out it's exactly what I've been looking for. A comfortable pouch that holds the necessities and is made for my bike jersey.

To me, it's the best thing since velcro and it's called the Sticky Pod. Guy told me the shop where he got his and I went straight there after the ride, only to find the shop was closed for Memorial Day (typical me)

Went the next day and sure enough they had em. And in 2 sizes. I got the smaller one because I find I'd start filling the larger one up with stuff that I DON"T need.

After the first ride I knew I found the missing piece to my kit. No seat balls/ keys shaking noise, no pocket poop imagery and best part, everything stay put and organized COMFORTABLY!

So that's my story/contribution to this diamond in the rough cycle forum. If you're like me and have been searching for a zip lock replacement, the search is over

Happy Trails!
      Last edited by Foes; 06-14-2012 at 10:55 PM.

2. Junior Member andrewmartinee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      hyundai turbo
      06-05-2012 06:02 PM #2
      oh! I think that's not good dude because if don't like this bag so you have to give some poor people so may be it is useful for them. Any ways now you should buy big bag so you can put all basic stuff in it. So search different bags from good store or as well online stores.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      06-05-2012 06:30 PM #3
      never had issues with Topeak saddle bags and shorts compatibility
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      06-08-2012 03:16 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      never had issues with Topeak saddle bags and shorts compatibility
      I'm sure for some people who don't mind the look and added weight they do the trick.

But because I'm skinny, I have a little ass Which enable me to have a very narrow/light saddle.

The only seat bag I've found that didn't stick out could barely hold a tube.. My iphone was out of the question..

Which is another thing I love about the Sticky Pod, it has a water resistant pouch that fits my phone perfectly! I did however make a slit to fit my ear-bud cable through (something I'm sure the makers haven't though up of yet ).

For me, there really is no alternative to the easy to reach jersey pockets- It's what they're there for! I'm just glad there's finally something that we can use for pockets to reach their full potential!

Which is why I shared

Vehicles
      2014 Chevrolet Traverse LT 2006 GMC Yukon XL SLT
      06-08-2012 04:58 PM #5
      Added weight? The stuff is either on the bike, or on your person, which by default, is also on the bike. Six of one...

I used to carry my flat kit in my jersey...until I crashed and took a co2 cart to the spine. A Pedro's Micro bag is perfect...and you never forget it on the table.
      ... you're not a hipster. But you definitely have hipster tendencies. Stay vigilant... like diabetes, you can manage this.
      -20DYNAMITE07

This thread sucks -Quattro Krant

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      06-08-2012 07:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by merckx56 View Post
      Added weight? The stuff is either on the bike, or on your person, which by default, is also on the bike.
      I see what you're saying, but still, to me the bike feels more balanced without it and is quieter and more visually appealing. Not to mention I hate fuddling around a tiny sac to find what I need. And my keys would surely scratch my phone screen. To each their own, to me, there is no alternative to the convenience factor.

I used to carry my flat kit in my jersey...until I crashed and took a co2 cart to the spine.
      Yikes!! That must've hurt I'm hoping that if I'd have a similar fall, the thick padding will protect my back. The Co2 straps are also on the spine of the pack which I'm hoping was put there for added padding/protection.

A Pedro's Micro bag is perfect...and you never forget it on the table.
      Ah you know, thats what's great about the sticky pod! I leave it right next to my kit.
      My buddy actually had his phone along with a $20 bill stolen from his seat bag when he left his bike on the car rack. Went into the deli for a quick sandwich and by the time we got out he had been hosed for a couple of hundred

I guess if you're cool with taking the "fred" bag on and off your bike all the time, then it''s perfect for ya!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi
      06-08-2012 08:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Foes View Post
      I'm sure for some people who don't mind the look and added weight they do the trick.

But because I'm skinny, I have a little ass Which enable me to have a very narrow/light saddle.

The only seat bag I've found that didn't stick out could barely hold a tube.. My iphone was out of the question..

Which is another thing I love about the Sticky Pod, it has a water resistant pouch that fits my phone perfectly! I did however make a slit to fit my ear-bud cable through (something I'm sure the makers haven't though up of yet ).

For me, there really is no alternative to the easy to reach jersey pockets- It's what they're there for! I'm just glad there's finally something that we can use for pockets to reach their full potential!

Which is why I shared
      I run a Fizik Arione and a Specialized seat bag. No issues here.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      06-12-2012 02:50 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by yem_icculus View Post
      I run a Specialized seat bag. No issues here.
      Great. But I still hate em lol

And for people who also hate them, this is the best alternative that I've found

9. 06-13-2012 10:30 AM #9
      I didnt know this product existed- ive only been using an old airline overnight kit zipper bag which totally looks like that Sticky Pod. It fits well in the middle jersey pocket. it fits air cartridges, a tube, my electrolyte tablets, tools, and ID/cash! good find though!

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      06-13-2012 05:46 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
      I didnt know this product existed- ive only been using an old airline overnight kit zipper bag which totally looks like that Sticky Pod. It fits well in the middle jersey pocket. it fits air cartridges, a tube, my electrolyte tablets, tools, and ID/cash! good find though!
      That's not a bad idea, haha. Still weighs more than a plastic baggie though

This thread reminded me to switch to a new ziplock bag as my old one has holes in it
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      06-14-2012 11:02 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      This thread reminded me to switch to a new ziplock bag as my old one has holes in it
      Wait until you start getting holes in your jersey! Then it will remind you that you failed

Quote Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
      I didnt know this product existed- good find!
      That's why I shared! Your welcome

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      06-22-2012 03:13 PM #12
      Thanks for the pm's of appreciation/kudos peeps!

(edit: 2000th post!!)

Vehicles
      saloon/specialized
      06-26-2012 11:38 AM #13
      i think im gonna order the small bag. definitely would be useful.

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      06-26-2012 01:19 PM #14
      At first I suspected this thread was a little bit 'spam-my' if you know what I mean; -but I definitely see the attraction, and the prices look great.

Maybe I'll ditch the fredpacks and give it a go. -FWIW, I use Garneau fred-bags under my saddles, and there's not a stitch of velcro on them anywhere...

I just have to figure out if I want the large or the small. -I NEVER ride without at least TWO tubes and cartridges.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      06-28-2012 06:02 PM #15
      Fred-bag lmao... This thing seems like it would be a great replacement for my binocular case that I've been using

Thanks for the heads up Foes
      2008 Lava Grey Audi A3 2.0T FWD: Euro Spec. LED Tails | Stage 1 APR | Front Grill LED Rings | Bilstein Sport Shocks + Struts | Neuspeed Springs

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      07-05-2012 03:41 AM #16
      Thanks for the appreciation fellas Lets me know I didn't waste everyones time who checked out my thread.. Or for me typing it up for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      At first I suspected this thread was a little bit 'spam-my' if you know what I mean; -but I definitely see the attraction, and the prices look great.
      No worries- I actually feel that we are just so used to seeing threads about products that suck/don't work or retailers to stay away from because of shady business practices. Which makes forums a great tool. So when we see a thread in it's -rare form- about a product that is good, we think it's spam or some kind of bull-poop.

Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      I just have to figure out if I want the large or the small. -I NEVER ride without at least TWO tubes and cartridges.
      I lent my small sticky out to a friend for his race and last time I checked, the race ended over a week ago He gave me money for a new one, which I refused because of the amount of tubes I've grubbed off the guy

Unfortunately though when I went to my shop they were sold out of the small and they don't know when they'll be getting them back in

So I got a large along with a Blackburn Airstick mini pump which I've been wanting ever since I blew a C02 on a sloppy hook-up. It was a crappy ride home on 1 C02 despite how much my lungs were able to blow into the tube before hand

Anyway, it fits the airstick perfectly in the spine with the loops and holds 2 C02's in the zipper pocket no problem along with 2 tubes. Though, I was able to fit 2 tubes and 2 co's in my small one (tubes sat outside the small pocket), but it was a little tight. The material still stretches a good amount though.

I'm just as happy, if not more with the bigger one. It still keeps everything dry, organized, and comfortable- And solved the issue on where I could carry the mini pump I wanted
      Last edited by Foes; 07-05-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      08-16-2012 09:41 PM #17
      Been using the Sticky Pod for a few weeks now and love it. Way more comfortable then I imagined.

Figured I'd say thanks again and bump it up to let others know.
      2008 Lava Grey Audi A3 2.0T FWD: Euro Spec. LED Tails | Stage 1 APR | Front Grill LED Rings | Bilstein Sport Shocks + Struts | Neuspeed Springs

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 08:08 AM #18
      Thanks for the reminder... I finally just ordered the large. (I'm a slow mover sometimes!)

I'll look for the blackburn mini-pump too. -If I have model number questions, I'll post them here.
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 01:36 PM #19
      At lunchtime today, I picked up the Blackburn Airstik SL in white.

Nice, lightweight. -Hopefully this fits in the Sticky Pod.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Turbo X
      10-12-2012 01:05 PM #20
      Update, thing is still holding strong after a couple months of good abuse. Love it

21. 10-19-2012 02:47 PM #21
      Just got the large, because new riding jacket only has (1) small pocket in the back, but I may have to get a new "slimmer" pump, and re-roll my tubes. Mine doesn't look like the pic on the tag ...:

Last edited by colnago; 10-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Vehicles
      10-19-2012 09:36 PM #22
      I can confirm that the Blackburn Airstik SL does fit nicely, but I have a problem getting my tubes rolled neatly enough also, in the large... currently they're in the "Fred bag" which I'm still using as well as the sticky pod...