Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The clutch/transmission troubles thread.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      06-09-2012 02:40 AM #36
      1/12 build.

It was diagnosed as a dual-mass flywheel issue. The clutch and flywheel were replaced at 3600 miles. My car is stock.

Vehicles
      Nothing VW
      06-09-2012 01:20 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Siliconrane View Post
      The dealerships don't loose any money. Vwoa reimburses them for all warranty work. They have to get it approved by them before they lay a wrench on your car.
      This is the important part. If the dealership isn't smart enough to convince VW warranty that it's a warranty issue, they won't lay a wrench on your car. And then you are stuck with the issue you came in with, or footing the bill for an out of pocket repair that should be covered under warranty.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 tdi beetle convertible premium
      06-09-2012 06:18 PM #38
      Starting noticing difficulty shifting (down and up) around 2,500 miles, with 3rd, and 4th, it grew to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th and progessively harder to shift into those gears with occasional lock up. This was only while driving 3/4 to full throttle and above 4K rpm, if you drove it like a grandmother, no problems shifting. My vehicle is and was completely stock.

Took it to first dealer around 3,000 miles and was told to keep driving it until it got worse.

Took it to a different dealer around 3,800 miles and after a 5 minute drive they tore apart the transmission and found the clutch cracked in 3 places (I saw it with my own eyes). The ended up replacing the clutch, pressure plate and fluids.

Pieces replaced under warranty:

QTY: Part Number: Description:
      6 N-903-207-01 Screw
      1 06J-141-015-JX Clutch Kit
      -1 06J-141-015-JX Core Return

6 Hours Labor

Rental Car for one day
      Loaner Car for four days

They detailed the car completely on the interior and exterior including waxing it.

All covered under warranty, by Maund VW in Austin, TX, they did a great job, kept me up to date, and were completely professional.

I took delivery of my car on 2/4/12

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, '86 323i S52
      06-11-2012 12:33 PM #39
      An update on my car. The issue looks identical to Siliconrane's trouble. A cracked friction disk, and some abnormal wear on the pressure plate.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post77766466

Vehicles
      '02 Allroad
      06-11-2012 01:27 PM #40
      Sounds like there's some issues with the OEM clutch setup. Has anyone asked for a root cause or further explanation? I'd be a little weary of getting a direct replacement unless VW (or the OEM supplier) could tell me that they've found a defect in a certain batch of clutches.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-11-2012 02:12 PM #41
      Do any of you have a clutch noise when engaging the clutch on higher power throttle? Sounds like a "chirp/grinding", but it only happens when using the clutch. It's dead silent under normal throttle shifts, and low rpm shifts. I haven't had any problems getting it into gear, except 2-6th under power which is expected. I'm hoping this noise isn't the start of transmission problems.

Yes, this is the first turbo car I have owned so it could be that, but it clearly only happens when using the clutch and does it on engaging and disengaging. I also hear the the VW clutch can be "noisy" so maybe this is normal.

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R
      06-13-2012 08:53 PM #42
      12/11 Build.

I want to start by thanking you guys and gals for all the info. This forum is great!

I'm having an issue when starting in first or reverse. I get a noticable clapping sound as the clutch starts to engage. I notice some difficulty from time to time shifting at high rpms, but it just takes a little extra force to get into gear, by no means am i "locked out".

I took it into the dealership today. He heard the sound and said it definately wasn't good. The car will be going back later this month to get looked at in detail.

I will update after they figure out what is wrong with it.

Otherwise its a great car.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500
      06-13-2012 09:13 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by flyingBigf00t View Post
      12/11 Build.

I want to start by thanking you guys and gals for all the info. This forum is great!

I'm having an issue when starting in first or reverse. I get a noticable clapping sound as the clutch starts to engage. I notice some difficulty from time to time shifting at high rpms, but it just takes a little extra force to get into gear, by no means am i "locked out".

I took it into the dealership today. He heard the sound and said it definately wasn't good. The car will be going back later this month to get looked at in detail.

I will update after they figure out what is wrong with it.

Otherwise its a great car.
      I have this same "clapping" noise. I couldn't think of a good way to describe the sound I was hearing but "clapping" is just about perfect. I don't have any trouble getting into gear but my sh*t is definitely noisier than it should be. I've mentioned it before on here but nobody seemed to have anything similar. It kinda sounds like the throwout bearing is just loud but who knows. I'll be interested to see what happens with your car if/when the dealer does something to it. I'm at 5800 miles and mines not getting any worse than when new but I will be keeping my engine stock for a while just in case something goes awry.

Vehicles
      MK6 .:R
      06-13-2012 09:52 PM #44
      great to know...

thanks guys

10. 06-14-2012 12:36 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by iThread View Post
      Actually I'd like to replace the delivery thread with a FAQ thread that contains links to the build thread index and the various DIY threads but, I've not had a chance to get to it and won't for a bit. But, if someone wants to step up.....
      Good idea,get crackin

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      06-14-2012 12:51 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by MissUnderstood View Post
      Good idea,get crackin
      The members did, look at the stickies.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      06-14-2012 01:07 AM #47
      If my clutch ever needs replacing (for the good old fashioned reasons), an upgraded clutch will be a no brainer!

13. 06-14-2012 01:08 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by iThread View Post
      The members did, look at the stickies.
      No idea how to do any of that stuff otherwise I'd help.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R; 2008 VW Jetta Wolf 2.0t; 1979 VW Beetle Cabrio; 1986 VW Golf Gl; 2006 Chevy 1500
      06-18-2012 10:33 PM #49
      1/12 MFD 1400 on the odo. and I starting to notice the gritty clutch feel. I'm really trying to figure if I should bring it to the dealer. I am currently running APR stage 1 and VWR intake, so I'm wondering if i do bring it in should I switch it to stock? Any advice much appreciated!

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 GTI 2012 Golf R
      06-19-2012 09:57 AM #50
      I've got that gritty clutch feel too, its more noticable when i let the clutch out in 1st gear
      but im not having the trouble with not being able to shift @ high RPM's? 04/12

06-19-2012 03:26 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by oob13cd View Post
      I've got that gritty clutch feel too, its more noticable when i let the clutch out in 1st gear
      but im not having the trouble with not being able to shift @ high RPM's? 04/12
      Mine's exactly the same.

Vehicles
      2012 R 2dr Base CW 3/27/12
      06-19-2012 08:34 PM #52
      So by gritty clutch, do you mean that the effort is higher? I've noticed that my clutch, subtly, doesn't seem to be as light as it was when new. And what is high rpm specifically? 5500, 6000, beyond?
      2012 R CW 2DR
      2011 F150 SCrew 5.0
      2009 WRX
      2000 911 C2 Aero Brumos Special Edition 'B59'
      1970/73 911 RSR residing within a 2011 ATC 24 ft VNose

06-20-2012 03:50 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Tailwagger View Post
      So by gritty clutch, do you mean that the effort is higher? I've noticed that my clutch, subtly, doesn't seem to be as light as it was when new. And what is high rpm specifically? 5500, 6000, beyond?
      I really only notice it in 1st through 3rd when you start to apply pressure on the clutch pedal it feels like there is sand between the clutch/flywheel. Thats really the best way of describing my situation, it is weird and hasn't bothered me enough to take it to the dealer yet due to this being my first German car I thought it may be "normal".

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 GTI 2012 Golf R
      06-20-2012 06:01 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by chase-R View Post
      I really only notice it in 1st through 3rd when you start to apply pressure on the clutch pedal it feels like there is sand between the clutch/flywheel. Thats really the best way of describing my situation, it is weird and hasn't bothered me enough to take it to the dealer yet due to this being my first German car I thought it may be "normal".
      You hit it! That's exactly what it feels like. I'm thinking thats not normal??

20. Semi-n00b
      06-20-2012 08:34 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by keisuke_z View Post
      - Currently having a new clutch pedal assembly installed after experiencing a strange pop/click from the pedal, after the initial "free play/travel" at the top. Apparently the piece that the pedal pushes into the master cylinder does not fit properly into the pedal - perhaps someone grabbed the wrong part when putting my car together.

Service assures me that my clutch is currently OK...
      I have the EXACT same issue with the pop/click in my clutch pedal, directly after the first inch or two of free play. I took a close look at the pedal assembly while depressing the clutch and it's clear that there's a white plastic clip/insert in the clutch pedal that is not fitting as it should.

I will be taking my car in soon and have this looked at. I spotted a post by a GTI owner in another forum who complained of the exact same issue. He even took a video of it:

I took delivery of my Golf R 6/9.

21. Semi-n00b
      06-20-2012 03:38 PM #56
      My local dealer service department took a look at the clutch "pop" issue during engagement. After 2.5 hours (?) they were able to replicate the issue. They have ordered a replacement part for the linkage between the clutch cylinder and the clutch pedal, but stated that if that doesn't solve the problem, they'll replace the clutch altogether. Not sure I really want/need that, but it's good to know they'll get the job done, not band-aid the problem with lithium grease...

I should have confirmation early next week as to whether or not the new linkage resolves my issue. In the meantime, I'll just keep my Dynaudio a couple of notches louder.

22. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R
      06-23-2012 10:00 AM #57
      My appointment is Monday morning. I should have some more info then. I have the single pop/click as mentioned above. I wasn't thinking it was an issue. I'll mention it (along with the other things that are going wrong, like the paint) to the service manager and see if they can investigate it as well.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CSG, 4dr
      06-25-2012 03:39 AM #58
      Question for you guys..

when you say you experience difficulty shifting - it is a feeling like:

- clutch in
      - pull out of gear
      - as trying to push into gear (i.e., 1st to 2nd), you hit a notch where you would normally be pressed down to go into reverse), and have difficulty sliding past the notch?

or is it a different feeling? I'm asking as I don't have other experience driving stick and am trying to figure out whether I have the same shifting issue as some others here...

Thanks!

24. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 GTI 2012 Golf R
      06-27-2012 10:01 AM #59
      Just out of curiosity... when you guys let out the clutch pedal where does the clutch start to grab? When I let mine out it doesn't start to grab till the pedals at the top. I was under the impression that the clutch should start to grab towards the bottom as you let the pedal out not the top???? Is this normal or just not adjusted right?

Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      06-27-2012 03:32 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by oob13cd View Post
      Just out of curiosity... when you guys let out the clutch pedal where does the clutch start to grab? When I let mine out it doesn't start to grab till the pedals at the top. I was under the impression that the clutch should start to grab towards the bottom as you let the pedal out not the top???? Is this normal or just not adjusted right?
      Every car/clutch is different but these tend to be fully engaged closer towards the top.
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

26. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 GTI 2012 Golf R
      06-27-2012 07:11 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by droopy1592 View Post
      Every car/clutch is different but these tend to be fully engaged closer towards the top.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know, makes me feel better

27. Semi-n00b
      06-27-2012 10:23 PM #62
      An update on the clicking clutch. Dealer replaced the retention clip that attaches the master cylinder piston to the clutch pedal. Unfortunately, not only did this not fix the issue, but now my pedal feel, resistance and engagement point is TOTALLY jacked up. I almost refused to drive the car home, but the dealer promised a complete replacement of the clutch pedal and assembly on Friday. My patience is wearing thin...

28. 06-28-2012 11:54 PM #63
      I definately have that gritty clutch feel when I let the clutch of slowly in 1 and second gear. It might be worst in reverse. How can I tell if its really cracked and take it back - or should I go to the dealer. I have like 700 miles picked up around the beginning of June?

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      06-29-2012 01:31 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by ad03avant View Post
      I definately have that gritty clutch feel when I let the clutch of slowly in 1 and second gear. It might be worst in reverse. How can I tell if its really cracked and take it back - or should I go to the dealer. I have like 700 miles picked up around the beginning of June?
      Don't panic, you're not that far past the break in period. Right now the main symptom of a cracked clutch disc is getting locked out of upshifts under high RPM and mid to full throttle. You've got plenty of warranty left if it does happen to you so you don't need to rush to the dealer yet.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R RB
      06-29-2012 02:49 AM #65
      Interesting...I too am experiencing some grinding/gritty noise when shifting in reverse. no issues yet with any of the forward gears.

Vehicles
      '12 R (RB 4-dr 6-sp w/ Euro goodies), '07 GTI (CW 4-dr 6-sp w/ Euro goodies)
      06-29-2012 03:14 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by -stinsteR- View Post
      My local dealer service department took a look at the clutch "pop" issue during engagement. After 2.5 hours (?) they were able to replicate the issue. They have ordered a replacement part for the linkage between the clutch cylinder and the clutch pedal, but stated that if that doesn't solve the problem, they'll replace the clutch altogether. Not sure I really want/need that, but it's good to know they'll get the job done, not band-aid the problem with lithium grease...

I should have confirmation early next week as to whether or not the new linkage resolves my issue. In the meantime, I'll just keep my Dynaudio a couple of notches louder.
      I have the same clutch pedal clicking issue too. Was at the dealer this morning, they said they will replace the entire clutch pedal assembly. Parts should be here later next week, will report back then.

32. Member
      06-29-2012 06:14 PM #67
      My car will be back monday from the dealer for drivetrain noise. They are replacing the flywheel and clutch. flywheel came from germany, clutch from jersey warehouse??!

I didn't really have pop click noise, just the car itself made a whirling noise that i don't believe belongs with the car. my shifting is also fine. they claim they found some excessive play in the flywheel and informed me that our cars have "dampening" flywheels.. does that even make sense? I don't know a lot about cars but that just didn't sound right to me. does anyone have detailed information on our clutch/flywheels? from my understanding is multi mass clutch, and a dampening flywheel...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R - Black
      06-29-2012 07:17 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by chramiji View Post
      My car will be back monday from the dealer for drivetrain noise. They are replacing the flywheel and clutch. flywheel came from germany, clutch from jersey warehouse??!

I didn't really have pop click noise, just the car itself made a whirling noise that i don't believe belongs with the car. my shifting is also fine. they claim they found some excessive play in the flywheel and informed me that our cars have "dampening" flywheels.. does that even make sense? I don't know a lot about cars but that just didn't sound right to me. does anyone have detailed information on our clutch/flywheels? from my understanding is multi mass clutch, and a dampening flywheel...
      Yes we have a Dual Mass "Dampening" Flywheel.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2166434
      2012 Golf R - Black WETDUB
      APR Stage 2++ (Build Thread)

34. Semi-n00b
      06-29-2012 09:42 PM #69
      3rd time was the charm for my clutch click problem. Dealer replaced the pedal assembly and the clutch is smooth, light and linear now. Apparently there was a combo of the plastic arm from the master cylinder, white linkage clip and pedal arm to blame. 3 pieces of plastic in the clutch... Yeah not surprised it failed.

35. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CSG, 4dr
      06-30-2012 01:03 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by chramiji View Post

FYI that sounds like the issue I had initially - a whirling sound when in neutral. It would go away if I pressed the clutch in. The fix for this was a new transmission... my clutch hasn't been replaced yet, but fingers crossed that I don't start getting the shifting issue...

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast