Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The clutch/transmission troubles thread.

06-19-2012 03:26 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by oob13cd View Post
      I've got that gritty clutch feel too, its more noticable when i let the clutch out in 1st gear
      but im not having the trouble with not being able to shift @ high RPM's? 04/12
      Mine's exactly the same.

Vehicles
      2012 R 2dr Base CW 3/27/12, 2015 A3 TDI 11/8/2014
      06-19-2012 08:34 PM #52
      So by gritty clutch, do you mean that the effort is higher? I've noticed that my clutch, subtly, doesn't seem to be as light as it was when new. And what is high rpm specifically? 5500, 6000, beyond?
      2015 A3 TDI
      2012 Golf R CW 2DR (Deposit down on a 2015 mk7 R)
      2011 F150 SCrew 5.0
      2000 911 C2 Aero Brumos Special Edition 'B59'
      1970/73 911 RSR residing within a 2011 ATC 24 ft VNose

06-20-2012 03:50 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Tailwagger View Post
      So by gritty clutch, do you mean that the effort is higher? I've noticed that my clutch, subtly, doesn't seem to be as light as it was when new. And what is high rpm specifically? 5500, 6000, beyond?
      I really only notice it in 1st through 3rd when you start to apply pressure on the clutch pedal it feels like there is sand between the clutch/flywheel. Thats really the best way of describing my situation, it is weird and hasn't bothered me enough to take it to the dealer yet due to this being my first German car I thought it may be "normal".

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 GTI 2012 Golf R
      06-20-2012 06:01 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by chase-R View Post
      I really only notice it in 1st through 3rd when you start to apply pressure on the clutch pedal it feels like there is sand between the clutch/flywheel. Thats really the best way of describing my situation, it is weird and hasn't bothered me enough to take it to the dealer yet due to this being my first German car I thought it may be "normal".
      You hit it! That's exactly what it feels like. I'm thinking thats not normal??

5. Semi-n00b
      06-20-2012 08:34 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by keisuke_z View Post
      - Currently having a new clutch pedal assembly installed after experiencing a strange pop/click from the pedal, after the initial "free play/travel" at the top. Apparently the piece that the pedal pushes into the master cylinder does not fit properly into the pedal - perhaps someone grabbed the wrong part when putting my car together.

Service assures me that my clutch is currently OK...
      I have the EXACT same issue with the pop/click in my clutch pedal, directly after the first inch or two of free play. I took a close look at the pedal assembly while depressing the clutch and it's clear that there's a white plastic clip/insert in the clutch pedal that is not fitting as it should.

I will be taking my car in soon and have this looked at. I spotted a post by a GTI owner in another forum who complained of the exact same issue. He even took a video of it:

I took delivery of my Golf R 6/9.

6. Semi-n00b
      06-20-2012 03:38 PM #56
      My local dealer service department took a look at the clutch "pop" issue during engagement. After 2.5 hours (?) they were able to replicate the issue. They have ordered a replacement part for the linkage between the clutch cylinder and the clutch pedal, but stated that if that doesn't solve the problem, they'll replace the clutch altogether. Not sure I really want/need that, but it's good to know they'll get the job done, not band-aid the problem with lithium grease...

I should have confirmation early next week as to whether or not the new linkage resolves my issue. In the meantime, I'll just keep my Dynaudio a couple of notches louder.

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R
      06-23-2012 10:00 AM #57
      My appointment is Monday morning. I should have some more info then. I have the single pop/click as mentioned above. I wasn't thinking it was an issue. I'll mention it (along with the other things that are going wrong, like the paint) to the service manager and see if they can investigate it as well.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CSG, 4dr
      06-25-2012 03:39 AM #58
      Question for you guys..

when you say you experience difficulty shifting - it is a feeling like:

- clutch in
      - pull out of gear
      - as trying to push into gear (i.e., 1st to 2nd), you hit a notch where you would normally be pressed down to go into reverse), and have difficulty sliding past the notch?

or is it a different feeling? I'm asking as I don't have other experience driving stick and am trying to figure out whether I have the same shifting issue as some others here...

Thanks!

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 GTI 2012 Golf R
      06-27-2012 10:01 AM #59
      Just out of curiosity... when you guys let out the clutch pedal where does the clutch start to grab? When I let mine out it doesn't start to grab till the pedals at the top. I was under the impression that the clutch should start to grab towards the bottom as you let the pedal out not the top???? Is this normal or just not adjusted right?

Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      06-27-2012 03:32 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by oob13cd View Post
      Just out of curiosity... when you guys let out the clutch pedal where does the clutch start to grab? When I let mine out it doesn't start to grab till the pedals at the top. I was under the impression that the clutch should start to grab towards the bottom as you let the pedal out not the top???? Is this normal or just not adjusted right?
      Every car/clutch is different but these tend to be fully engaged closer towards the top.
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 GTI 2012 Golf R
      06-27-2012 07:11 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by droopy1592 View Post
      Every car/clutch is different but these tend to be fully engaged closer towards the top.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know, makes me feel better

12. Semi-n00b
      06-27-2012 10:23 PM #62
      An update on the clicking clutch. Dealer replaced the retention clip that attaches the master cylinder piston to the clutch pedal. Unfortunately, not only did this not fix the issue, but now my pedal feel, resistance and engagement point is TOTALLY jacked up. I almost refused to drive the car home, but the dealer promised a complete replacement of the clutch pedal and assembly on Friday. My patience is wearing thin...

13. 06-28-2012 11:54 PM #63
      I definately have that gritty clutch feel when I let the clutch of slowly in 1 and second gear. It might be worst in reverse. How can I tell if its really cracked and take it back - or should I go to the dealer. I have like 700 miles picked up around the beginning of June?

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R, 15 eGolf
      06-29-2012 01:31 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by ad03avant View Post
      I definately have that gritty clutch feel when I let the clutch of slowly in 1 and second gear. It might be worst in reverse. How can I tell if its really cracked and take it back - or should I go to the dealer. I have like 700 miles picked up around the beginning of June?
      Don't panic, you're not that far past the break in period. Right now the main symptom of a cracked clutch disc is getting locked out of upshifts under high RPM and mid to full throttle. You've got plenty of warranty left if it does happen to you so you don't need to rush to the dealer yet.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R RB
      06-29-2012 02:49 AM #65
      Interesting...I too am experiencing some grinding/gritty noise when shifting in reverse. no issues yet with any of the forward gears.

Vehicles
      '12 R (RB 4-dr 6-sp w/ Euro goodies), '07 GTI (CW 4-dr 6-sp w/ Euro goodies)
      06-29-2012 03:14 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by -stinsteR- View Post
      My local dealer service department took a look at the clutch "pop" issue during engagement. After 2.5 hours (?) they were able to replicate the issue. They have ordered a replacement part for the linkage between the clutch cylinder and the clutch pedal, but stated that if that doesn't solve the problem, they'll replace the clutch altogether. Not sure I really want/need that, but it's good to know they'll get the job done, not band-aid the problem with lithium grease...

I should have confirmation early next week as to whether or not the new linkage resolves my issue. In the meantime, I'll just keep my Dynaudio a couple of notches louder.
      I have the same clutch pedal clicking issue too. Was at the dealer this morning, they said they will replace the entire clutch pedal assembly. Parts should be here later next week, will report back then.

17. Member
      06-29-2012 06:14 PM #67
      My car will be back monday from the dealer for drivetrain noise. They are replacing the flywheel and clutch. flywheel came from germany, clutch from jersey warehouse??!

I didn't really have pop click noise, just the car itself made a whirling noise that i don't believe belongs with the car. my shifting is also fine. they claim they found some excessive play in the flywheel and informed me that our cars have "dampening" flywheels.. does that even make sense? I don't know a lot about cars but that just didn't sound right to me. does anyone have detailed information on our clutch/flywheels? from my understanding is multi mass clutch, and a dampening flywheel...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R - Black
      06-29-2012 07:17 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by chramiji View Post
      My car will be back monday from the dealer for drivetrain noise. They are replacing the flywheel and clutch. flywheel came from germany, clutch from jersey warehouse??!

I didn't really have pop click noise, just the car itself made a whirling noise that i don't believe belongs with the car. my shifting is also fine. they claim they found some excessive play in the flywheel and informed me that our cars have "dampening" flywheels.. does that even make sense? I don't know a lot about cars but that just didn't sound right to me. does anyone have detailed information on our clutch/flywheels? from my understanding is multi mass clutch, and a dampening flywheel...
      Yes we have a Dual Mass "Dampening" Flywheel.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2166434
      2012 Golf R - Black WETDUB
      APR Stage 2++ (Build Thread)

19. Semi-n00b
      06-29-2012 09:42 PM #69
      3rd time was the charm for my clutch click problem. Dealer replaced the pedal assembly and the clutch is smooth, light and linear now. Apparently there was a combo of the plastic arm from the master cylinder, white linkage clip and pedal arm to blame. 3 pieces of plastic in the clutch... Yeah not surprised it failed.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CSG, 4dr
      06-30-2012 01:03 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by chramiji View Post

FYI that sounds like the issue I had initially - a whirling sound when in neutral. It would go away if I pressed the clutch in. The fix for this was a new transmission... my clutch hasn't been replaced yet, but fingers crossed that I don't start getting the shifting issue...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R ( totaled)
      07-01-2012 02:35 AM #71
      If the OEM clutch assembly is soo ****ty, why not upgrade to Aftermarket and be done replacing the same faulty design over and over? Also, I double checked this, Isn't SACHS the OEM supplier to vw? Why not look at their performance clutch upgrades? You could always argue that if the one supplied by factory is ****...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R ( totaled)
      07-01-2012 02:39 AM #72
      http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sach...h-Kit::85.html

There you go. OEM Performance Clutch upgrade made specifically for our Golf Rs

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Golf (Sold) | 2002 VW GTI (Sold) | 2007 VW GTI (traded) | 2012 VW Golf R
      07-05-2012 10:54 AM #73
      Anyone heard yet any official response from VW on these transmission and clutch issues?

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R ( totaled)
      07-11-2012 11:16 PM #74
      i called the Tech-line at Volkswagen of America. Nothing official is out yet.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R ( totaled)
      07-11-2012 11:18 PM #75
      I also asked about installing that OEM Performance Clutch from Sachs. They said that since its manufactured by the OE supplier of VW/AUDI, legally they can't void the warranty. However,
      their official stance is that to replace anything with official VW parts only.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast