Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: timing belt replacement - mileage only or age too

1. 06-05-2012 09:53 PM #1
      My 2004 Passat 1.8T GLS (station wagon) has 72,000 miles. I checked the manual which says that timing belt is to be replaced at 105,000 miles.

however, car is 8 years old - does the age matter or I should be fine until I get to 105,000 miles to replace the timing belt, tensioner, water pump etc.

thanks a lot

2. 06-05-2012 11:48 PM #2
      The 105,000 limit stated by VW is an optimistic estimate and there have been documented cases of failure well before that. Most people recommend belt changes around 60-80k miles. IMO, you should change the timing belt (and associated belts/hoses, etc) both as a function of distance and age.

You should plan on changing the water pump, tensioner, and all hoses and belts that usually require a lot of labor to replace as you will just end up paying for the parts if you replace them at the same time as the timing belt.

You can get timing belt kits from ECS tuning and other german car online stores - search the B5 archives for more information on this.

Good Luck!

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      06-06-2012 01:24 AM #3
      I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 50k miles on my 03. Figured better now than be sorry later. From a visual inspection it looked fine but is almost 10 years old... the car only cost me 10 oil changes so figured I should spend on something more critical.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      06-06-2012 06:55 AM #4
      Even the local VW dealers acknowledge the 105K figure is dangerous - the ones I've queried locally unanimously recommended 80k as a more appropriate interval. Further, most of what I've read the last several years on the forum say it's time, too - with seven years about right. After all, the belt IS rubber; and you know what just the ozone in the air does to rubber, let alone the harsh conditions under the hood. I'd say now is a good time to get it changed, for both of you.

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      06-06-2012 10:07 AM #5
      take oil for example, every 3 months OR 3k miles which ever comes first. they figure that because some tech at some point in time figured even if you dont drive the car the oil breaks down from time, in oils case its 3 months for con oil 5 for full syn. so, timing belt. the vw guys say 80k. the "average" miles the gov says we drive every year are 12k. so 12 x 6.66666etc equals 80. so if you follow the math guidelines for oil, which very crucial for these car, follow the same math guidelines for the tbelt. so whichever comes first 6.6 years OR 80k. thats my opinion and im stickin to it
      FMIC, Forge Hybrid splitter BOV, Motegi 17x7's in Pirelli p6, Eibach pro kit w/ sway bar, Kinetic slotted & drilled rotors, custom short throw, Glow Shift boost gauge w/ NSP steering column pod!

6. 06-25-2012 12:40 PM #6
      1998 Passat 1.8t Sedan AEB

My original timing belt assy failed at 87,0000 miles at just over 8 years. I think it might have been the tensioner failing that actually caused it. Luckily alll I had to do was pay for the timing belt replacement and VW covered the head replacement.

I am now at over 167,000 and going to do the whole shebang myself including the other belts. Don't think I could get VW to pay for a new head again. Just still need to decide if I also want to order all of the seals too.

Nick

Vehicles
      MK6 GTI 6MT, MK4 Jetta Wolfsburg Lapping Car Project,
      06-25-2012 01:09 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by sudrabs3 View Post
      1998 Passat 1.8t Sedan AEB

My original timing belt assy failed at 87,0000 miles at just over 8 years. I think it might have been the tensioner failing that actually caused it. Luckily alll I had to do was pay for the timing belt replacement and VW covered the head replacement.

I am now at over 167,000 and going to do the whole shebang myself including the other belts. Don't think I could get VW to pay for a new head again. Just still need to decide if I also want to order all of the seals too.

Nick
      This sounds like an amazingly lucky example of a dealer covering something they probably shouldn't have (and probably got a stern talking to from thier area GM too).

Every 80K is a good bet.
      VAGKRAFT | Red Beetle Heritage Wheels for sale | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

8. 06-26-2012 10:57 AM #8
      Actually, I don't think it was luck. I followed the recommended inspection interval which I had documented. I showed all of my recorded maintenances even the oil changes. Some of the receipts for the oil were missing but I had all of the receipts for the filters, even though the oil has nothing to do with the timing belt.

The one sticking point was that I had my timing belt checked at 57k exactly as per the 60k maintenance interval that was specifically stated in my 1998 manual. The inspection results stated it looked in good condition and should be checked again at 90k. Volkswagen had more recently changed the recommended interval to every 40k, so they first stated that I should have had it checked again at 80k. But I asked them to show me the documentation where they officially notified me of that change, which they could not. I think they also realized that it breaking at 87 k was too close to their "new recommendation" of 80k but just under the inspection which said it was good to 90k.

As for the "stern talking to by the GM" - the dealer rep does not make the decision. It was the local VW rep that gave the go ahead. They realized that it was their fault.

Moral of the Story - document, document, document..... save all receipts.....
      Last edited by sudrabs3; 06-26-2012 at 11:03 AM.

9. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      06-29-2012 01:35 PM #9
      Over time the belts can wear out and crack, would not hurt to change it out early according to miles.

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram