I was waiting until I made some headway before I started a thread. It's not going to be a crazy big turbo high HP build(well......) It's not going to be a race car, or a show car. I may auto-x it and road course it and take it to shows in the summer but I don't have a defined direction for it other than enjoying driving it! This is the first time I've truly documented a vehicle I've owned. There have been a number of Jeeps and VW's/Audi's and a 1st gen Talon in the mix but none of them have been over the top and I haven't truly kept tabs on them.
My story is; I'm originally from Chicagoland, I have worked for VW/Audi corporate, sold new VW's and have a brief history with AMS. I happened into being friends with the owners of AMS and a number of the very first employees back in the day when they were just starting. We used to mess with cars before the days of FnF, back when the mainstream didn't know about it. Thanks to hard work and good people AMS has made it into the world of big time race cars!
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I just couldn't bring myself to buy an Evo X. And since I can't afford any other car AMS works on these days(and I didn't want to buy a ******* Subaru), I stuck to my roots and got a Golf R when they came out. When I brought my Golf R to AMS it was the first one they had seen and they were impressed, a few employees even admitted to being closet VW fans!
I plan on documenting my cars transformation in a few different ways, engine wise a little more closely. However I have run into some hiccups. First and most concerning, my throwout bearing started out louder than normal and has gotten drastically louder since buying the car. This may be due to driving it hard and breaking it in quickly. Or it may be a warranty issue. Or it may be a non-issue. This is very hard to know and I don't want to risk a larger issue turning up that can be claimed a result of modifications so for now the engine will remain stock. The threads on here about cracked clutches don't build my confidence. That being said, I ran 13.9 bone stock full weight with 1800 miles on the odo. I haven't even seen anyone else run a stock R in the 1/4 mile in the US. I also put down 248hp and 259lb/ft at the wheels bone stock on a Dynojet dyno. Questionable, maybe. We'll see how things go when I mod and use those numbers as a baseline.
I have made some posts on here about the smaller mods/things I've done. I guess this doubles as a consolidation/continuation of those. The mods I do and the opinions I have sometimes go against the grain, are contrary to "common mod practice," are frank/blunt/seemingly mean but ultimately we all drive Golf R's and Golf R's are cool ass cars which I love in all shapes and sizes. They are super rare even compared to "other" R's in this country, fun to drive and almost completely undetectable. Depending on what happens with this MY12/13 nonsense we may have some of the rarest cars on US roads.
Feel free to comment on my "build" as I may comment on yours. Pics/info/results will update whenever the hell I get around to it. Plans are as follows;
- NewSouth boost gauge - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Interior LEDs
- Chopped shifter stalk - <font color=red> Done.</font>
- TJM shiftknob
- Homelink visor
- De-badge rear R emblem - <font color=red> Done.</font>
- Black VW emblems front and rear - <font color=red> Done. Rear Plasti-dipped. Front Bold-Sport piano black.</font>
- Tinted windows - <font color=red> Done. Llumar 35% all around with 5% windshield strip. </font>
- Paint matched side markers - <font color=red>Done. Probably needs some wet-sanding though.</font>
- LED tail lights - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Euro front bumper cover
- Opti-Coat - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Corbeau A4 seats
- Schroth harnesses
- Autopower street sport rollbar
- Unibrace XB
- BSH torque mount insert - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- HPA puck
- TyrolSport rigid subframe collars - <font color=red>have, but not installed.</font>
- Superpro control arms
- Diesel Geek Sigma Six short shifter - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- K-Sport coilovers - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- 19" VMR V709s with 235-35-19 BFG KDW's. - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Brembo 18Z big brake kit - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- United Motorsport custom big turbo tune - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- BSH Catch can - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Custom MAF housing/intake - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Custom downpipe - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- APR exhaust manifold - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- gt2871r - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- 42 Draft Designs catback - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Autotech HPFP rebuild - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Godspeed Intercooler - <font color=red>Done.</font>
- Spec Stage 3 clutch - <font color=red>Done.</font>