Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Atl-Atl's "documentation" thread.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 1992 VW GTI
      06-06-2012 12:16 AM #1
      I was waiting until I made some headway before I started a thread. It's not going to be a crazy big turbo high HP build(well......) It's not going to be a race car, or a show car. I may auto-x it and road course it and take it to shows in the summer but I don't have a defined direction for it other than enjoying driving it! This is the first time I've truly documented a vehicle I've owned. There have been a number of Jeeps and VW's/Audi's and a 1st gen Talon in the mix but none of them have been over the top and I haven't truly kept tabs on them.

My story is; I'm originally from Chicagoland, I have worked for VW/Audi corporate, sold new VW's and have a brief history with AMS. I happened into being friends with the owners of AMS and a number of the very first employees back in the day when they were just starting. We used to mess with cars before the days of FnF, back when the mainstream didn't know about it. Thanks to hard work and good people AMS has made it into the world of big time race cars!

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I just couldn't bring myself to buy an Evo X. And since I can't afford any other car AMS works on these days(and I didn't want to buy a ******* Subaru), I stuck to my roots and got a Golf R when they came out. When I brought my Golf R to AMS it was the first one they had seen and they were impressed, a few employees even admitted to being closet VW fans!

I plan on documenting my cars transformation in a few different ways, engine wise a little more closely. However I have run into some hiccups. First and most concerning, my throwout bearing started out louder than normal and has gotten drastically louder since buying the car. This may be due to driving it hard and breaking it in quickly. Or it may be a warranty issue. Or it may be a non-issue. This is very hard to know and I don't want to risk a larger issue turning up that can be claimed a result of modifications so for now the engine will remain stock. The threads on here about cracked clutches don't build my confidence. That being said, I ran 13.9 bone stock full weight with 1800 miles on the odo. I haven't even seen anyone else run a stock R in the 1/4 mile in the US. I also put down 248hp and 259lb/ft at the wheels bone stock on a Dynojet dyno. Questionable, maybe. We'll see how things go when I mod and use those numbers as a baseline.

I have made some posts on here about the smaller mods/things I've done. I guess this doubles as a consolidation/continuation of those. The mods I do and the opinions I have sometimes go against the grain, are contrary to "common mod practice," are frank/blunt/seemingly mean but ultimately we all drive Golf R's and Golf R's are cool ass cars which I love in all shapes and sizes. They are super rare even compared to "other" R's in this country, fun to drive and almost completely undetectable. Depending on what happens with this MY12/13 nonsense we may have some of the rarest cars on US roads.

Feel free to comment on my "build" as I may comment on yours. Pics/info/results will update whenever the hell I get around to it. Plans are as follows;

Interior

• NewSouth boost gauge - Done.
      • Interior LEDs
      • Chopped shifter stalk - Done.
      • TJM shiftknob
      • Homelink visor
      • RNS-510

Exterior

• De-badge rear R emblem - Done.
      • Black VW emblems front and rear - Done. Rear Plasti-dipped. Front Bold-Sport piano black.
      • Tinted windows - Done. Llumar 35% all around with 5% windshield strip.
      • Paint matched side markers - Done. Probably needs some wet-sanding though.
      • LED tail lights - Done.
      • Euro front bumper cover
      • Opti-Coat - Done.

Chassis

• Corbeau A4 seats
      • Schroth harnesses
      • Autopower street sport rollbar
      • Unibrace XB

Drivetrain

• BSH torque mount insert - Done.
      • HPA puck
      • TyrolSport rigid subframe collars - have, but not installed.
      • Superpro control arms
      • Diesel Geek Sigma Six short shifter - Done.
      • K-Sport coilovers - Done.
      • 19" VMR V709s with 235-35-19 BFG KDW's. - Done.
      • Brembo 18Z big brake kit - Done.

Engine

• United Motorsport custom big turbo tune - Done.
      • BSH Catch can - Done.
      • Custom MAF housing/intake - Done.
      • Custom downpipe - Done.
      • APR exhaust manifold - Done.
      • gt2871r - Done.
      • 42 Draft Designs catback - Done.
      • Autotech HPFP rebuild - Done.
      • Godspeed Intercooler - Done.
      • Spec Stage 3 clutch - Done.

Current status

2. Banner Advertiser John@Roc-Euro's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DPB
      06-06-2012 02:17 PM #2
      I saw 20" Vossen CV3's on a mkvi already. I mean, I think they looked goof as hell on there, but I could see running a clean 20" setup. obviously only for a very specific theme, aka on the ground, but you know.

Nice plans!
      Roc-Euro /:\ >> Your source for APR Products, ISC Suspension, Roc-Euro items, and more.
      Email us at info@roc-euro.com, call us at 585.270.8171 or come down and see us at the shop!
      #roceuro on >>Instagram, find us on >>Facebook too.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 08:32 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by John@Roc-Euro View Post
      I saw 20" Vossen CV3's on a mkvi already. I mean, I think they looked goof as hell on there, but I could see running a clean 20" setup. obviously only for a very specific theme, aka on the ground, but you know.

Nice plans!
      Dang those CV3's are sweet! I think 20's is more of a dream since I live in the upper midwest and the roads around here are all frost buckled and pothole ridden.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 08:36 PM #4
      So here we go, back to the beginning. March 12, 2012. Ahh what it was like to be stock.

I've been lurking in this forum since last fall, keeping my mouth shut until I made a decision, well its been made. Black 2 door base.

We tried for about a week to find a dealer that would trade for a 2 door with nav/sunroof but no one wants to dealer trade, or they claim whats shows up in stock is a sold car that just isn't delivered. These things are getting fewer and farther between. I think they have sold much better than the V's. Last week there were over 200 on cars.com, today there are less than 10! Got the supplier discount, wound up with a purchase price of 33036, I'd say that's decent.

Oh btw, DAMN WISCONSIN and their front plate laws!!!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 08:42 PM #5
      Then I went to the drag strip on opening day March 31, 2012. I want to go back now that I've got about 5000 miles to see if further break in changed anything. I chopped out all the time slips I included in the original post, except one.

BARELY!!!

Since I didn't win Mega Millions last night I decided to go to opening day at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove Wisconsin today. Track conditions were dry, even though it had rained a bunch the night before and misted on the way there this am. Temps were cold, 39 when I got there and 73% humidity. I was only the 15th car when I got there at 930 am. There were probably 75 when I left at 2pm.

I only practiced launching a few times before going to the track, my car only has 1800 miles on it. 4500rpms seemed to be making the car come out of the hole pretty nicely on the street with just a hint of front tire spin. Things were different at the track with all the rubber and vht on the ground. I wound up having to launch in the 5500-6000 rpm range. Surprisingly the clutch held up just fine the entire time. I wound up making 21 passes in total, almost all of my 60ft times were between 2.0 and 2.2. Never once did I actually "slip" the clutch to the point where the engine revd freely with the clutch all the way out, this clutch held up to some abuse today. I only smelled clutch once or twice and it was after the first couple passes. If you get it just right the car will really come out hard with no bog and no spin, it feels incredible. I imagine this is how launch control feels every time

Car specs, 2 door R, no sunroof, 6 speed manual(Obviously, its a US car) Completely 100% stock. Stock suspension. Stock Dunlop tires set to 40 psi. No mods whatesoever, stock paper air filter, stock oil etc. nothing has been touched since I took delivery of the car 3 weeks ago. No weight reduction. The full interior was in place, the factory jack, spare tire, tools etc were all in the car, it was completely full weight. When I began the day there was 3/8s of a tank of gas. Unfortunately the scale at the track wasnt working so I couldnt get the weight of the car.

Pics of time slips are below, I wont bother posting all 21 of them but the first 8 in sequential order leading up to the fastest of the day are listed. They are in order by time of day, the date is wrong, it says April 1 2012 but today is March 31 2012. Keep in mind this was not a pro tree so reaction times are NOT factored into the ET. I was going for good launches not fast reaction times as you'll surely see! Some of the slips are cut in half by the track people because the bracket racers that are practicing don't want you to know their times. My best pass was my 8th pass, 13.95@99.75 mph.

It would be really nice to have a data logger so I could see what I did for that 13.95 pass because I was not quite able to get there again, lots of 14.0x but no other 13s. I know the 60ft time of 1.980 is what did it but I'd like to know what rpm I launched at. Unfortunately I was alone so I wasn't able to get video proof. There were people taking pictures and videos, hopefully I'll be able to find vids of it on the track website or some midwest racing forums. For now all I have is the time slips. I was car number 415.

My overall impression of the 14.2 second estimates that car magazines have been giving our car are dead nuts accurate. Thinking in terms of normal street driving conditions and what rpm people are willing to launch at I think 14.2 is on the quick side but still reasonable for a stock Golf R. Removing all excess weight from the car, adding a short shifter and a dogbone mount bushing and installing lighter wheels could get this car consistently in the mid-high 13s with a completely stock engine.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 08:46 PM #6
      Then I paid a visit to AMS to get some baseline numbers. April 27, 2012.

I still can't figure out how to get the video to play in my post.

So my buddy owns a shop down in Chicago that has two awd dynos, a Dynojet and a Mustang. We ran my car on the Dynojet . Unfortunately I didn't have the time to make runs on both dynos or we really could have settled the score. I might try to get Mustang numbers before I mod at all. I bought my car new from the VW dealer with 89 miles. The dealer I bought it from got it on a dealer trade. I don't know where it came from or if there is a possibility it was flashed before coming to my dealer. I really doubt the car would have been flashed but I guess anything is possible. This dyno does not read high, they said a stock Evo 10 puts down 240s for wheel HP on this dyno. If my car is in fact chipped I'm pretty disappointed all I could muster at the drag strip was 13.95. The car feels like it has 50 more HP than my GTI but it does not feel like it has 100 more HP than my GTI. If its stock I'm impressed with the HP numbers but I'm not impressed with how slow the car is for how much power it makes! The last image is the video, I don't know if it works correctly, I've never uploaded a video.

edit: can someone please tell me how to make the vid work?

http://<object type="application/x-s.../object><br />

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 08:52 PM #7
      Then I installed my H&R Supersport springs. May 25, 2012.

Before I say anything else, I know the car is dirty and the brake dust is terrible.

So I don't care what all the naysayers will surely post here, to me the car looks goooood and looks the way it should from the factory. I wanted the car to be lower and have a similar to stock ride, these springs did just that. The "sport" version of these just did not seem worth it for only .75" of lowering. Also the Neuspeed springs don't look good IMHO because the rear sits noticeably lower than the front.

Save your breath with the "lowering an R will blow up the stock shocks blah blah blah" crap. Its not true and I don't care. Took 5 hours of leisurely messing with the car to get it all installed. I have pics of the actual wheelwell measurements but the numbers are as follows. Keep in mind all I did was pull out of the garage and park the car, I did not drive at all. I will measure again after driving a couple hundred miles. The finger gap currently is in the 1/2 to 0 finger range at all four corners. The top of the tire sits almost perfectly flush with the bottom of the fender.

Front pass. stock 26 1/4 - H&R 24 1/2 - diff. 1 3/4
      Front driver stock 26 3/4 - H&R 25 1/8 - diff. 1 5/8
      Rear pass. stock 26 5/8 - H&R 25 1/16 - diff. 1 9/16
      Rear driver stock 26 5/8 - H&R 24 7/16 - diff. 2 3/16!!! <--- Ill be double checking this, parking spot could have been uneven.

Edit: Ride quality on the one short trip I have taken is very similar to stock, maybe a touch stiffer. I have not hit any twisties yet but I will report back.

UPDATE 5-28

After driving the car for a couple hundred miles this weekend I have some updates. These springs are DEFINITELY stiffer than stock. Not by a ton but it is certainly noticeable. If you are happy with the stiffness of the stock suspension you don't want these springs. Also they are definitely low enough that on larger/harsh bumps you will hit the bumpstops. It's pretty apparent when you do, your back will let you know. It is definitely bouncier and stiffer, if you are worried about ride quality do not get these springs.

As far as handling goes, I like the changes. I will most likely never track this car so I am not super concerned about the geometry being screwed up or whatever. For daily driving the improvements are excellent, much less body roll. Much better input from the road. The massive dive and squat under hard braking/acceleration is completely gone, thank the lucky stars, it no longer feels like a Cadillac when you shift!!!

Anyway, on to the pics.

Before (best before pics I have, sorry they don't match perfectly)

During

After

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 09:12 PM #8
      Somewhere in there I debadged the rear, plasti-dipped the rear VW emblem, installed a Bold-Sport Piano Black front VW emblem and color matched the side markers.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 09:20 PM #9
      Also somewhere in there I made three seperate trips to the dealer trying to get my steering wheel straightened. They never got it straight but I did get the alignment done under warranty because it was pretty off! Post is slightly out of order, alignment was done before I put on the H&R springs!

Coincidentally the installation of my H&R supersports perfectly straightened my steering wheel!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 09:47 PM #10
      I installed my Diesel Geek Sigma Six short shifter which is sweeet! It wasn't nearly as difficult as the instructions make it look. I didn't remove the intake or the battery so it was a little tight in there. Definitely made for a quicker install though not removing all that junk. I also didnt spend any time taking pictures, it was hot outside.

Installed the BSH torque mount insert, which made my already noisy throwout bearing even noisier. Hopefully this doesn't turn into an issue. I am going to leave the engine stock for a while just in case. It definitely tightened up the shifting/engine feel a noticeable amount, not a ton just noticeable. The combo of insert and Diesel Geek shifter is really nice. Once again it feels how it should have stock. No pics of the BSH mount installation, I could barely squeeze under the car and its dark in my garage. One annoying thing is the lack of instructions from BSH, nothing came with the parts and the stuff they have online is basically useless. They don't even tell you the new bolt is a different head size than the old one. The stock bolt is a 21mm, the BSH bolt is 22mm which I don't own, luckily I had a 7/8" which worked great.

Update on driving impressions - the combo of BSH torque mount insert and Diesel Geek shifter is really awesome. The changes are subtle but when you drive for a while and really pay attention to the way the car feels its reeaallllyy nice!

Also installed LED tails wOOt, no night time pics yet.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI dsg
      06-07-2012 07:38 AM #11
      i usually go with black cars, but i went with a cw for the r. youre making me regret that decision with this thread. your car looks pretty baller and i for one enjoyed you made a thread to keep up with it.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 07:51 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
      i usually go with black cars, but i went with a cw for the r. youre making me regret that decision with this thread. your car looks pretty baller and i for one enjoyed you made a thread to keep up with it.
      Wanna trade? Haha I got this because I had a white MKV GTI and thought I wanted something else. I can't look at the CW picture thread anymore because I want a white one so bad Thanks for the compliments though, I really do love this car.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 07:54 AM #13
      Updated LED tail pics. These are all just the tail lights, I haven't had anyone around to step on the brake for me!

Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-07-2012 08:06 AM #14
      OSIR makes a RHD vent pod

http://www.osirusa.com/mm5/merchant....y_Code=VGTI6IA

Build is looking good

15. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 08:18 AM #15
      Some more pics. Having lowered the car almost makes me like the stock wheels enough to keep them around for the summer, almost.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 08:21 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
      OSIR makes a RHD vent pod

http://www.osirusa.com/mm5/merchant....y_Code=VGTI6IA

Build is looking good
      That might be a last resort, I'd rather keep it looking as OEM as possible inside. I'll probably run the double column mount until I find a New South type mount that works on the right side, or until I make one work!

Thanks

Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-07-2012 08:25 AM #17
      The NewSouth pod is the right idea, having the fins. Porblem is I keep hearing about how the quality of NewSouth products is terrible.

Then again I have no first hand experience with them, but I've heard this from several people.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 08:31 AM #18
      The NewSouth pod is the right idea, having the fins. Porblem is I keep hearing about how the quality of NewSouth products is terrible.

Then again I have no first hand experience with them, but I've heard this from several people.
      I have not heard this but I am also not afraid of buying two OEM vents and cutting them up.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-07-2012 08:35 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      I have not heard this but I am also not afraid of buying two OEM vents and cutting them up.
      That could get quite interesting. If you go that route I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

Also, no matter what you end up doing as a solution, post a review. I am currently unimpressed with all the pod solutions I've found so far.

I enjoy using my vents, so if I go vent pod it would need to retain functionality.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 08:37 AM #20
      I enjoy using my vents, so if I go vent pod it would need to retain functionality.
      Hmm, like keeping the ability to angle the fins...now you've got me thinking!

Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-07-2012 08:42 AM #21
      Hmm, like keeping the ability to angle the fins...now you've got me thinking!
      I dont think the up and down motion would be hard to retain, the side to side might become difficult if you are using a gauge that sticks out far in back.

The podi gauge might be thin enough for this not to be an issue... hmm.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 10:22 PM #22
      Ordered my oil analysis kit so I can get my dead dinosaur juice tested now that I hit 5000 miles.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-07-2012 10:34 PM #23
      Now that I'm not logged in at work and I can actually see the pictures.

Car looks great man. Love that color

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06-08-2012 01:57 PM #24
      Got my teeints did. Lumar 35% all around, 5% for the windshield strip. Hopefully I don't get busted for the strip being too far down the windshield.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      06-08-2012 02:14 PM #25

'83 GTi (gone) | '90 Corrado (gone) | '96 GTi VR6 (gone) | '08 GTi (gone) | '12 R

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 13 Jetta, 67 Lincoln Continental
      06-08-2012 03:44 PM #26
      we MUST park together at scooters if we can. would look great with black and white right next to eachother! looking good.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      06-08-2012 03:51 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by speeedfrk View Post
      we MUST park together at scooters if we can. would look great with black and white right next to eachother! looking good.
      Agreed. I think 3:30 is the earliest I will be able to get there. When are you going to arrive?

Vehicles
      06-08-2012 03:55 PM #28
      Agreed. I think 3:30 is the earliest I will be able to get there. When are you going to arrive?
      i will try to be there at 3. ill ask if i can save you a spot next to me. not sure how they will react to that though.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      06-08-2012 05:31 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by speeedfrk View Post
      i will try to be there at 3. ill ask if i can save you a spot next to me. not sure how they will react to that though.
      Ill try to take off a little early if I can. Ill send you a text or call when I know what time I can leave.

Vehicles
      06-08-2012 05:33 PM #30
      coolio. see you then.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:08 PM #31
      Got my Blackstone oil analysis kit in the mail. Time to schedule my 1st oil change and get this info rollin!

Vehicles
      Mk5 GTI
      06-11-2012 09:02 PM #32
      Looking great man. I still prefer my Rising Blue to the Black or CW.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 04:01 PM #33
      GSD is today's theme. Ordered new wheels and tires, scheduled my trip to Eurohangar via LongBallRally and set up my oil change so I can get my oil analysis done.

To my knowledge no one has these wheels on an R yet. Hints; they are 19"s, they are of the gunmetal color family, they are NOT of the split Y shaped spoke hella concave species that's all sorts of trendy right now, some might consider them knock-offs. That's all I will say for now.

Can't wait for LongBall, Eurohangar and one of my fav hotels ever that happens to be in downtown Holland!

Vehicles
      2014 CW JSW 6M
      06-13-2012 05:32 PM #34
      Cool, your going to Euro hangar? I'm hoping to pop out. I would like to see your car in person and see how the springs have settled.

City Flats is a cool hotel.

I live in Grand Rapids, so never have a reason to stay there, but sure as hell would if I came from out of town.

Vehicles
      2014 CW JSW 6M
      06-13-2012 05:36 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by b-R-ad View Post
      Cool, your going to Euro hangar? I'm hoping to pop out. I would like to see your car in person and see how the springs have settled.

City Flats is a cool hotel.

I live in Grand Rapids, so never have a reason to stay there, but sure as hell would if I came from out of town.
      Never mind...just double checked the dates and I am going to be heading to the outerbanks with the family.

I am planning on being at the Run-offs up at Road America this fall. I believe that is in your neck of the woods.

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast