Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 1832

    Thread: Atl-Atl's "documentation" thread.

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-01-2012 07:53 PM #71
      People keep saying red which would go with the red taillights on the car and is classy/classic OEM+ Porsche style. But I've been thinking about doing a little throwback to the days of old and doing R32 blue? Is that not cool because its not an R32? I feel like R32 blue will be pretty bada** looking but still understated, classy and VW OEM+ style.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Burlington, NC
      Posts
      3,686
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      08-01-2012 08:00 PM #72
      If I did upgraded calipers I'd do yellow because it'd look badass with the Rising Blue. For your color I would do red or blue, yeah. Blue would be fine.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-02-2012 07:22 PM #73
      More brake updates. Stoptech stainless lines showed up today. They are MKIV R32 front lines. They bolt directly to the Brembo calipers with no other hardware necessary. Tonight or tomorrow I should be able to get one of these calipers mocked up so I can check for rotor fitment, wheel clearance etc. I'm getting super excited now!



      MKV and MKVI ends are a hoop and require a banjo bolt setup to go into the caliper. MKIV R32 cable ends are a 45 degree elbow with a threaded floating nut as seen below. I prefer this style, less parts is better.


      Proof the lines bolt right up to the caliper.

    4. Member b-R-ad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2012
      Posts
      463
      Vehicles
      2014 CW JSW 6M
      08-02-2012 09:43 PM #74
      I would be digging Blue for those calipers...Just saying

    5. Member Coderedpl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 9th, 2006
      Location
      Valley Stream, NY
      Posts
      2,698
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R 4dr Rising Blue
      08-03-2012 12:53 AM #75
      Kinda regretting selling mine now....
      I drive a 2012 VW Golf R / United Motorsport

    6. Member V8Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2007
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      5,658
      08-03-2012 02:05 AM #76
      Looking good. I'd say go with red calipers. I did my bbk and sort of regret doing black, mainly because red bbks look awesome when the car is moving.


      I am assuming those are the 18z 350mm calipers? If so I would highly recommend the EBC Red Stuff brake pads, ceramic, perfect for street and light tracking. No noise if bedded in proper, and super clean, I mean almost zero brake dust clean.
      Suzuka TTRS - Carbon Mirrors - Ecodes - Recaros - Schroths - Weichers Roll Cage - HREs - Scorpion TBE - H&R - EBC

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-03-2012 08:20 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Coderedpl View Post
      Kinda regretting selling mine now....
      Hold your horses until you see my final tally of costs...

      Quote Originally Posted by V8Star View Post
      Looking good. I'd say go with red calipers. I did my bbk and sort of regret doing black, mainly because red bbks look awesome when the car is moving.


      I am assuming those are the 18z 350mm calipers? If so I would highly recommend the EBC Red Stuff brake pads, ceramic, perfect for street and light tracking. No noise if bedded in proper, and super clean, I mean almost zero brake dust clean.
      I think its either going to be red or blue. I have an idea for the blue to keep the running theme going on the car. Gonna pull the trigger on the paint today after I mock up the red caliper and see how it looks. The red is very classy and OEM+ which is good. I know they are 6 piston calipers and totally different but the red just reminds me of every Mitsu/Subie/Hyundai etc on the road and I don't want that stigma...

      They are 18Z 350's. Thanks for the recommendation EBC Reds sound like exactly what I want.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-04-2012 11:57 PM #78
      Just got back from Dubs In The Valley and uploaded some pics. I need to stop going to shows, makes me feel like my car isn't low enough. There were a few other R's there but I only took pics of the two worth taking pics of.

      More pics on my Flickr; http://www.flickr.com/photos/a4saloon/

      We got rained on for the first hour or so.










      some random non-R hotness

      I fcukin love this cabrio


      ogle much? worth it, this car should get best in show.

      'nuff said






      He said 600ish wheel horse at only 23psi and I believe him




      purple drank


      Yes its a tank, yes its a VW, yes its from "The Shining" no I'm not kidding.


      I heart MKIV 4 door GTI's

    9. Member BrownBear's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2012
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      751
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      08-05-2012 03:52 PM #79
      I should have gone

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-05-2012 06:49 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
      I should have gone
      Yes you should have, it was a good show. We got rained on but it cleared up, everyone dried off and it went well afterwards.

    11. Member GTI Fanboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 29th, 2012
      Posts
      252
      Vehicles
      Mk5 GTI
      08-05-2012 08:43 PM #81
      That tank will haunt my dreams forever.

    12. Member speeedfrk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 9th, 2004
      Location
      miltown, wi
      Posts
      2,572
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 13 Jetta, 67 Lincoln Continental
      08-06-2012 02:19 PM #82
      coming along very nicely mike. wish i could go to half the shows youve been to. oh, and my vote is red just to throw that in there. i think it will really pop on an all black car with dark wheels and red tail lights.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-06-2012 03:15 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by speeedfrk View Post
      coming along very nicely mike. wish i could go to half the shows youve been to. oh, and my vote is red just to throw that in there. i think it will really pop on an all black car with dark wheels and red tail lights.
      Thanks yo, I think my mind is made up on color. You'll just have to wait and see at the end of the week. Sucks to hear you're laid up, get well soon! If you need someone to put miles on your car I'm willing to drive over to MKE.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-07-2012 06:50 PM #84
      More brake stuff showed up today. Brembo decals, caliper rebuild parts and a Motive Powerbleeder. Also ordered my caliper paint but I'm not telling what color I decided on.






    15. Member speeedfrk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 9th, 2004
      Location
      miltown, wi
      Posts
      2,572
      Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 13 Jetta, 67 Lincoln Continental
      08-08-2012 12:27 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Thanks yo, I think my mind is made up on color. You'll just have to wait and see at the end of the week. Sucks to hear you're laid up, get well soon! If you need someone to put miles on your car I'm willing to drive over to MKE.
      thank you. im hoping to drive the car sometime in the next two or three weeks. i went out and said hi yesterday.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-09-2012 06:46 PM #86
      Some more brake parts came in today. PowerSlot slotted GL450 rotors, 67mm-65mm metal hub rings and a G2 caliper paint kit. I finally have every last piece I need! If only my companies annual trade show didn't start today and go for a week I would be putting this stuff on instead of typing this post!

      Once I finally install everything I will take a lot of pictures and do a nice writeup that hopefully will become a sticky. I did this very cheap and it will be very badass when done. It can even be done for a few hundred bucks less than what I spent, definitely for under a grand. It is possible to use the stock rotors which takes out a huge chunk of money. That being said here is my final tally, keep in mind this is for Italian made forged aluminum monobloc 6 piston caliper factory parts that bolt directly to the Golf R knuckles and came on a vehicle nearly twice as heavy as a Golf R, they stop. All these prices include shipping and any tax I paid so take that out and it was well under a grand for parts alone!!! I will be isntalling everything myself so the price you see it what I paid, nothing more. $1118 for a brake kit as good if not better than the kits out there that cost $2500-3000. Even if I wanted to add lightweight two piece rotors to this kit the price would still only be $15-1600.

      1. Cayenne calipers $490
      2. Stainless MKIV R32 front brake lines $88
      3. JHM caliper mounting bolts $87
      4. Cheapo pads to use for now $86
      5. GL 450 PowerSlot rotors $230
      6. Caliper paint $47
      7. Hub rings $10
      8. Caliper hardware kit $60
      9. Brembo hi temp decals $8
      10. Brake pad wear sensors $12

      Sub Total
      $1,118







    17. Member psipassat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 14th, 2001
      Location
      CL, IL
      Posts
      624
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2004 Cayenne S, 1972 Austin Cooper
      08-09-2012 07:53 PM #87
      This is looking very nice!! Well done sir!
      2012 Candy White Loaded Golf R UM Tune!!!!! GT Haus Meisterschaft Exhaust with 104/90mm downpipe, and 76mm rear section, Valve actuated Exhaust. EVOMS intake. HPA short shifter, HPA Stage 3+ Clutch Kit
      For Info On The Meisterschaft Exhaust email: info@gthaus.com
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...4-door-R-Build

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Burlington, NC
      Posts
      3,686
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      08-09-2012 10:05 PM #88
      AWESOME!

      I might have to become a copycat if no one brings out a nice, reasonably priced front and rear kit that I like by the end of the year..

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-10-2012 12:35 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
      AWESOME!

      I might have to become a copycat if no one brings out a nice, reasonably priced front and rear kit that I like by the end of the year..
      Hah, reasonably priced, you're kidding right? There are actually threads on here with front only brake kits listed for sale at $2500-3000 that people think are a good deal/lower priced than expected. As long as people have that mentality there will not be anything even close to reasonably priced for the Golf R.

      As for the rear, in the near future I will be working with the originator of the Cayenne caliper on a MKV/MKVI setup to develop a rear Golf R kit using stock rear Cayenne/Q7/Toaureg calipers with Viper or S Type R parking brakes. The full front and rear setup should still run you less than $2500. No aftermarket vendor will ever come anywhere close to that price.

    20. Member BrownBear's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2012
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      751
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      08-10-2012 07:24 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Hah, reasonably priced, you're kidding right? There are actually threads on here with front only brake kits listed for sale at $2500-3000 that people think are a good deal/lower priced than expected. As long as people have that mentality there will not be anything even close to reasonably priced for the Golf R.

      As for the rear, in the near future I will be working with the originator of the Cayenne caliper on a MKV/MKVI setup to develop a rear Golf R kit using stock rear Cayenne/Q7/Toaureg calipers with Viper or S Type R parking brakes. The full front and rear setup should still run you less than $2500. No aftermarket vendor will ever come anywhere close to that price.
      I guess im driving up to Madison soon

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-10-2012 10:56 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
      I guess im driving up to Madison soon
      That's not a bad thing, take Route 12 and its a nice drive. Madison is a great city, lots of awesome food and micro brew.

    22. Member BrownBear's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2012
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      751
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      08-10-2012 11:30 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      That's not a bad thing, take Route 12 and its a nice drive. Madison is a great city, lots of awesome food and micro brew.
      Oh I know. I used to come up there a few times a year when I was in college at Illinois. I also race a bicycle, so I often ride and race in WI. In college we raced around the capital building for regional championships

    23. Member ginsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 28th, 2007
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      1,202
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      08-10-2012 12:55 PM #93
      What wheels are on the MKIV?

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-10-2012 02:16 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
      Oh I know. I used to come up there a few times a year when I was in college at Illinois. I also race a bicycle, so I often ride and race in WI. In college we raced around the capital building for regional championships
      Interesting, I work at Trek, you should bring a bike when you come up .

    25. Member psipassat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 14th, 2001
      Location
      CL, IL
      Posts
      624
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2004 Cayenne S, 1972 Austin Cooper
      08-10-2012 02:34 PM #95
      I am coming up also to check this.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-10-2012 02:38 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by ginsy View Post
      What wheels are on the MKIV?
      Not sure what MKIV you are talking about but the wheels on my R are VMR 709s.

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-10-2012 05:05 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by psipassat View Post
      I am coming up also to check this.
      I am from Barrington and have friends in Crystal Lake, I am down there regularly. If you guys want to come up to Madison to check out the R or something that's cool too. I hope to have the brakes done by the end of next week. I need to get in for my 10K service and I want to have the brakes on for the dealer guys to drool over!

      Holy crap I just realized I've only had my R for 5 months and it's got ten thousand miles on it already! I guess I do love driving this car.

    28. Member BrownBear's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2012
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      751
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      08-10-2012 06:12 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      I am from Barrington and have friends in Crystal Lake, I am down there regularly. If you guys want to come up to Madison to check out the R or something that's cool too. I hope to have the brakes done by the end of next week. I need to get in for my 10K service and I want to have the brakes on for the dealer guys to drool over!

      Holy crap I just realized I've only had my R for 5 months and it's got ten thousand miles on it already! I guess I do love driving this car.
      Ive had mine since May 31st and I have 5500

    29. Member BrownBear's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2012
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      751
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      08-10-2012 06:14 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Interesting, I work at Trek, you should bring a bike when you come up .
      Really? I'm trying to work at SRAM as an engineer but they have no openings as of yet. I've raced for the last 11 years, coincidently I've hated Trek until I rode their TT bike in a few time trials. What do you do for them?

    30. Member Dutchmastr9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      17,486
      Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      08-10-2012 11:52 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by ginsy View Post
      What wheels are on the MKIV?
      which mk4? one is running bbs rgrs, one has schmitt vn lines and i believe the black golf has some watercooled ind mesh wheels
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

      Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-11-2012 12:33 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      which mk4? one is running bbs rgrs, one has schmitt vn lines and i believe the black golf has some watercooled ind mesh wheels
      Whos thread is this?

    32. Member Dutchmastr9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      17,486
      Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      08-11-2012 01:39 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Whos thread is this?
      mine, i own all threads

      deal with it

      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

      Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

    33. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-11-2012 02:04 AM #103
      Hah, I suck at the internets. Just realized they must have been talking about one of the MKIVs I posted a pic of. Thanks for being specific whoever posted that question.

    34. Member ginsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 28th, 2007
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      1,202
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      08-11-2012 10:41 AM #104
      Sorry, the GTI.

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      5,006
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      08-11-2012 12:23 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
      Really? I'm trying to work at SRAM as an engineer but they have no openings as of yet. I've raced for the last 11 years, coincidently I've hated Trek until I rode their TT bike in a few time trials. What do you do for them?
      Come up this way and Ill give you a tour of the facilities, you wont be disappointed and you'll leave liking Trek, I promise.

    Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •