Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Top padding measurements.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      06-06-2012 02:50 PM #1
      Well I ordered a new padding kit for a top I am replacing for tears.
      Since it is a day or 2 prior to getting the top I decided to
      lay it out and grab some measurements so those that wan't to make thier
      own can.

Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Cabby Wolfsburg "Nimbus"
      06-06-2012 11:04 PM #2
      B: Thank you very much for taking the time to measure the pad. It'll help me in figuring out if I want to make-or-buy and what material I'm looking to use. In the meantime, two questions:

(1) Is this the "synthetic horsehair" padding that M&T crows is so much better than the foam padding offered elsewhere?

(2) The places where the padding is a bit thicker--is this material folded over and glued/sown? Or is it not folded over and just glued where needed? Or doesn't it make a difference?

Thanks!
      DW

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 vw cabriolet automatic with a/c
      06-07-2012 12:40 AM #3
      thanks for that brian. i ended up finishing my pad, installing it and the top, and just finished cutting out my rear window hole today. the next time i do this job, i'll certainly make my new foam pad to those dimensions. i'll resurrect my old thread to finish talking about my top install. thanks again for those dimensions for next time, though.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      06-07-2012 08:12 AM #4
      (1) Is this the "synthetic horsehair" padding that M&T crows is so much better than the foam padding offered elsewhere?

It is the synthetic horse hair padding, I think it will hold up longer than foam, but I don't know that for a fact. The way they make the hair padding is that is is a bazillion of different strands glued together. That is what gives it strength and durability.

(2) The places where the padding is a bit thicker--is this material folded over and glued/sown? Or is it not folded over and just glued where needed? Or doesn't it make a difference?

The pad is folded over and glued, It appears that it was possibly shaved to half the thickness then over laid and glued with the "crinkle" or pinking shearing on the edges. Now it could of been compressed, glued and folded....but I am not about to rip it apart to verify....

Where it is folded and glued is where there is top to frame contact on the side frames.

Where are my grounds ?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Cabby Wolfsburg "Nimbus"
      06-07-2012 10:04 AM #5
      Thanks, B. I believe that the synthetic horsehair padding is at least better than the foam padding as far as moisture dissipation. If you think about it, the foam padding is akin to a very large sponge sitting between the top and the headliner. I would think that it would be prone to attract and hold any moisture that might wick in there. After a few days in the sun....it just might develop that 'old car mustiness' that we've all come to know and love.

As far as the folded over portions of the padding....these are the contact points with the top frame, yes? Therefore your photo is of the bottom of the pad?

DW

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 vw cabriolet automatic with a/c
      06-07-2012 05:35 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
      Thanks, B. I believe that the synthetic horsehair padding is at least better than the foam padding as far as moisture dissipation. If you think about it, the foam padding is akin to a very large sponge sitting between the top and the headliner. I would think that it would be prone to attract and hold any moisture that might wick in there. After a few days in the sun....it just might develop that 'old car mustiness' that we've all come to know and love.

As far as the folded over portions of the padding....these are the contact points with the top frame, yes? Therefore your photo is of the bottom of the pad?

DW
      when i did mine just recently and used low density 1 inch foam (which may have been too thick, we'll see if the whole thing locks down in open position correctly when i'm done), i put a layer of old army half shelter tent canvas all the way around it and sewed it in place. i'm hoping that keeps moisture from getting to the foam if there is any moisture that gets underneath. the canvas should wick the moisture away and should dry quickly. we'll see.

like i said, this is my first time doing it and we'll see how it works out when the rainy season comes next winter...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 MK1 Golf Cabriolet GTI "Rivage"
      06-09-2012 07:11 AM #7
      The synthetic horse hair is the best by far.
      Like all ready stated foam will retain the moisture whereas the horse hair allows air circulation.
      I had sponge foam before, waste of time couldn't close the top down.
      When I did force it it pushed the headliner I have just finished.
      So junked the lot.
      The pads from VW were £350.00 GBP.
      Ouch!!!!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 MK1 Golf Cabriolet GTI "Rivage"
      08-04-2013 07:03 PM #8
      Two straps are cut from the interliner material it's self inline with the rivet hole.

I assume that is what your talking about?

Unless the kit you have is pre cut. The kits I sell you have to cut the strap once the interliner is on and tacked across the corner rails 3-4 staples to start with each side.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-04-2013 08:40 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by chortle View Post
      Two straps are cut from the interliner material it's self inline with the rivet hole.

I assume that is what your talking about?

Unless the kit you have is pre cut. The kits I sell you have to cut the strap once the interliner is on and tacked across the corner rails 3-4 staples to start with each side.

No.... not close. I have Mutt on ignore.
      The straps are for the rear window. They are folded and triple sewn on the ends to hold the bars.

Where are my grounds ?