Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DirecTV signal loss through receiver

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      3d
      06-07-2012 09:51 AM #1
      I have a DirecTV HD DVR plugged into a Denon AVR-1909 receiver via a HDMI cable, and then from the receiver to my Mitsubish tv via another HDMI cable. It has worked without any issues until the past week or so (except for once or twice quite a while ago and did the same thing as now).

Forgive me if I am not using the correct jargon, I'll just describe what's happening.

I have set the dimmmer on the Denon to be the lowest setting (aka off) while the unit is on.
      If I am on a local channel and switch to another local or non-HD channel, I have no issues. If I am on a local/non-HD channel and switch to a HD channel; the tv goes black, the Denon lights up (I'm assuming b/c of a loss of signal from the DirecTV) and then dark again, and finally the tv will show a blue screen (normal for no incoming signal) with a pop-up of the current input in the upper left corner. This also happens when switching between HD channels.

What causes this? A guy I work with has been in the A/V industry for many years and he said that this is normal for HDMI cables. Since this issues hasn't happened the entire time that I have had everything plugged in, I some-what question his answer.

A better question, how do I fix this? I was going to try just resetting the receiver and see if that fixes it. I'm not sure if there is some sort of update that the DirecTV missed because it is not connected to the internet. Or if it did get some update when I plugged it in to my network for a few hours to test out watching recorded shows on my laptop. It was about 3-4 months ago when I did this, so not really that recently.

* not mine

Thanks!
      i have nerd tendencies

i work in a world of shoulds (>ლ)

2. 06-11-2012 11:14 AM #2
      Sounds like the HDCP handshake (used for digital content protection of HD sources) is being lost between the DTV box and the receiver when switching to/between HD channels, so you get kicked to the blue 'input' screen. Alternately, it's possible the DTV box is temporarily severing the signal completely when switching between channels, but I think handshake issue is probably more likely. How to fix? No clue. Perhaps google

06-21-2012 06:36 PM #3
      Sounds similar to the infamous Onkyo TX-SR606 bad HDMI boards. Capacitors slowly dying... users see the occasional HDMI handshake issue on HD content (SD is OK) then it gets a little worse and eventually one day it fails for good. In the case of my receiver I found a guide to fixing the problem and after an hour of work and $2 in capacitors I was back in business.

Search your model number at AVS Forums and see if there are any similar complaints.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      90 Lysolm Corrado 75 STD Beetle 01 Dodge Ram 2500
      07-02-2012 10:22 PM #4
      Maybe go to Menu -> Settings -> Display -> Video -> Turn Native off

Also try to Menu -> Settings -> Display -> TV Resolutions and only check 720p or 1080i

Hope that helps