Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Radiator fan wired directly to battery

06-07-2012 02:59 PM #1
      I wired my radiator fan directly to my battery on a suggestion from a reputable VW aircooled and diesel mechanic my dad takes his cars to.

I guess the idea is that a blown fuse or faulty wiring would never lead to the fan not working and thus the car overheating. BUT it seems that this just burns up the rad fan switch leading to the fan never coming on. Bummer.

Is there a better way to do this or should I just put it back the way it was? Or is there another reason my switches might be failing?

2. 06-07-2012 03:20 PM #2
      Relay it like the later Westmoreland Rabbits, power comes directly from battery and uses the fan switch as a trigger.

06-07-2012 04:22 PM #3
      I don't know anything about electrical stuff... What exactly am I looking for?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=221833_0_0_

Of what capacity?

Vehicles
      03 Cooper S, 13 Plug In Prius, 11 RAV4
      06-07-2012 05:04 PM #4
      I use the switch to Ground out my relays for the 2 fans..
      ................................................www. CHECKCOLLISION .com

5. 06-07-2012 05:53 PM #5
      Definitely needs batt power to fuse, fuse to relay, and then relay to fan. Then you can use a low amp fused power source to the relay solenoid, and then a switch to complete the ground.

There are tons of wiring diagrams on google.

Vehicles
      your mom
      06-07-2012 07:56 PM #6
      Use a 30amp fused link from starter +12v lug to one side of the fan swtich, then from other pin of the fan switch to the fan motor +12v lead and ground the other fan motor lead. Done. Will run as it should and afterun if needed.

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03Ranger RIP, (03 Legacy, 03 Allroad, 86 Jetta)
      06-07-2012 08:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GTInoob View Post

There are tons of wiring diagrams in any mk1 manual.

Fixed that for ya.

If you are having trouble reading the diagram, get a test meter, and have a friend come by to help you read it, learn from this. The next time you mess with wiring (and there will be a next time, it's a mk1) you'll know how.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

8. 06-07-2012 08:24 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by d.clique View Post
      I wired my radiator fan directly to my battery on a suggestion from a reputable VW aircooled and diesel mechanic my dad takes his cars to.
      What a dumbass mechanic.

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      06-07-2012 10:16 PM #9
      The following radiator fan wiring diagram worked for 7 years; then I sold the race Rabbit and this wiring circuit is still working well.

This wiring diagram allows the radiatior fan to be manually turned via a toggle switch.

Cheers, WWR.
      WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

Vehicles
      '81 Jetta Coupe | '04 .:R32 | '91 318i
      06-07-2012 10:46 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      The following radiator fan wiring diagram worked for 7 years; then I sold the race Rabbit and this wiring circuit is still working well.

This wiring diagram allows the radiatior fan to be manually turned via a toggle switch.

Cheers, WWR.
      Awesome. I will for sure use this in the near future.
      Cin City

11. 06-07-2012 11:24 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by deathhare. View Post
      What a dumbass mechanic.
      Nah, some data may have been lost in translation. I wired the radiator fan circuit on my cabby direct to the battery positive terminal. I did use an inline fuse carrier and 20A fuse, though - I would never recommend wiring something without a fuse. An unfused circuit is a fire waiting to happen.

However, on early rabbits, the circuit isn't relayed, and runs to the fusebox solely for the fuse.

I simply pulled the wire from the fusebox to the thermoswitch back into the engine bay, soldered the inline fuse holder, and then connected to +12V at the battery (starter terminal would likely result in even shorter wire). Net effect was that I eliminated maybe 6' of 30 year old wire from the circuit. Relaying might save the thermoswitch, but I never had an issue with mine.

-Fab