Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rattling sound during acceleration/Wastegate Rattle?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      06-08-2012 08:57 AM #1
      I know there has been some discussion about this in the past, but wanted to see if anyone had more info about it. I contacted my local VW dealer about this issue last week and was told that the TSB about this issue is only out for the GTI. Has anyone confirmed that the rattling sound during acceleration is in fact a wastegate issue? Has anyone been able to get their dealerships to fix this issue for them? Thanks.

06-08-2012 10:10 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by burton007 View Post
      I know there has been some discussion about this in the past, but wanted to see if anyone had more info about it. I contacted my local VW dealer about this issue last week and was told that the TSB about this issue is only out for the GTI. Has anyone confirmed that the rattling sound during acceleration is in fact a wastegate issue? Has anyone been able to get their dealerships to fix this issue for them? Thanks.
      I told my dealer about the rattle and was told that it is 'normal'

Please let us know if you find the official TSB #.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 A3 3.2 S-Line
      06-08-2012 10:17 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      I told my dealer about the rattle and was told that it is 'normal'

Please let us know if you find the official TSB #.
      Not true, there is a tsb and several people here have had it fixed. Don't have time to find but there are several posts on it. I'm sure someone will post it up. Dealer installed a clip on the wastegate rod several months back and have no more rattle.

06-09-2012 12:20 PM #4
      Here is one TSB number I think was issued for the GTI but should be applicable to the 2012 Tiguan as well. Someone insisted and was able to have this done on a 2011 Tiguan and it solved the problem. I will ask about this when I take our car for the 1st year service.

TSB #2024061 "Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System" on 2008-2012 CCTA and CBFA engines. The solution is to install a "wastegate" clip.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Wild Cherry Tiguan
      06-09-2012 01:36 PM #5
      I had to push it with the dealer, but they installed the clip on my '11 SEL 4mo and the noise went away.

Vehicles
      Fiero GT Turbo, Kawasaki 750 Turbo, Tiguan Highline APR stage1
      06-09-2012 04:00 PM #6
      Mine rattled too when it was new but then stopped on it's own after a year or so...
      Myke

7. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      06-09-2012 04:39 PM #7
      Apparently on 4mo, they either have to have a contortionist for a tech or drop one axle. I can see why they are reluctant to do the job, but tough nubbies to them, there is a TSB, fix the problem!!!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 1998 Acura Integra Type R
      06-11-2012 08:28 AM #8
      Don't mean to hijack thread but what does the rattle sound like? I hear a hard to describe noise, its best described as a "mechanical sputtering" when the car is idle. Sounds like its close to the firewall. Not sure if this is wastegate rattle, I'm think its more of the turbine wheel noise?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 A3 3.2 S-Line
      06-11-2012 08:44 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      Don't mean to hijack thread but what does the rattle sound like? I hear a hard to describe noise, its best described as a "mechanical sputtering" when the car is idle. Sounds like its close to the firewall. Not sure if this is wastegate rattle, I'm think its more of the turbine wheel noise?
      This sound typically doesn't occur at idle. It would occur during some level of boost during acceleration. Mine was most noticable during acceleration around 2500 rpm and would sound like a drawer of silverware being shaken around under your hood.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-11-2012 08:54 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by a4000 View Post
      This sound typically doesn't occur at idle. It would occur during some level of boost during acceleration. Mine was most noticable during acceleration around 2500 rpm and would sound like a drawer of silverware being shaken around under your hood.
      ok cool, then I think I'm good then, lol! I def. don't have anything remotely close to noise of a drawer of silverware shaking around But I do hear hissing at times when accelerating, probably the wastegate doing its job?

Vehicles
      2013 RBM Golf R Stg3, 2002 MKIV GTI
      06-13-2012 02:14 PM #11
      Dealership will only do this if u are still under factory warranty....I got denied today.....
      '13 RBM Golf .:R APR Stg3
      '10 CW Bagged Tiguan APR Stg2
      '02 Mk4 GTI Stock DD

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4Motion, 2004 R32, 1982 Caddy TDI, 1975 Scirocco 1.8T
      06-13-2012 11:09 PM #12
      ive got this rattle under accel. sounds like wastegate falling off...
      Andrew Cordeiro www.makehasteracing.com Follow me on Twitter @MakeHasteRacing & Instagram @MakeHasteRacing
      Former 2008-2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup #26
      PROTECT YOUR NECK!! Race safe.Click Here for DefNder's at a LOW PRICE

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tig 2004Mazda3 GT
      06-14-2012 02:38 PM #13
      Same sound for my 2012 around 2300 up to 3000 after that it seems to disapear......its like a ssshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii noise!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-18-2012 03:35 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by tilouwilson View Post
      Same sound for my 2012 around 2300 up to 3000 after that it seems to disapear......its like a ssshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii noise!
      I get a hissing sound too, I figure its the wastegate doing its job, but no rattle under acceleration. I do get a subtle rattle when I drive on a rough road, best example a road thats milled down for new asphalt. Sounds like its coming from behind my dash on the drivers side or in the engine bay, driver's side. I thought it may have been a loose battery cover or something like that but that all seems secure. Where exactly is the wastegate?

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 2.0 TSI Tiguan Highline 4Motion Sport/Nav
      06-26-2012 01:16 PM #15
      I took the car yesterday to the dealer for the rattle noise you guys are talking about and the tranny update (TSP 01-12-13). I just got a call from them saying both jobs are complete.

Actually, I was afraid that they might not hear it (as what happens usually with dealers), but surprisingly they did, and they say the rattle was really bad, even their old tech who has hearing difficulties could hear it.

The lady on the phone talked about some parts that were fixed that I have no idea what they are. The only thing I could remember is a part with foam. And some leftovers from the factory that aren't supposed to be there .

Anyways, I will post the details when I get the car back tonight.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      06-26-2012 04:07 PM #16
      Thanks for posting.......I'm taking mine in tomorrow morning. I'm also going to ask about a possible firmware update for my RNS-510....since I seem to have a very slow back-up camera response. I'll post my experience as soon as possible.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      06-26-2012 04:56 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by burton007 View Post
      Thanks for posting.......I'm taking mine in tomorrow morning. I'm also going to ask about a possible firmware update for my RNS-510....since I seem to have a very slow back-up camera response. I'll post my experience as soon as possible.
      I have that too...I'd be interested in hearing the outcome...

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-26-2012 10:24 PM #18
      Just took the car back and I will be quoting the papers below. I drove the car and no rattles so far except a very minor rattle when I had 3 friends sitting in the back.

Here are the dealer's comments:
      "Client hears rattling noise from passenger side rear seat while driving on uneven roads.
      - Technical Check
      - Wheel remove-reinstall
      - Front wheel housing liner remove+reinstall
      - Activated Charcoal filter remove+reinstall
      - Installed rattle kit to ACF pipe
      Gasket
      - Headliner remove+reinstall
      - C-Pillar trim remove+reinstall
      - Replaced C-pillar trim clips
      Clamp
      Strip-Calk

Due to concern on rattling sound coming from right rear area, test drive vehicle to confirm concern noticed bay rattle from right rear wheel area, also around right rear seat belt, RE&RE right rear wheel, removed inner fender liner for further inspection, found EVAP canister very loose, removed unit and pad out canister using rattle kit, RE&RE spare tire, RE&RE spare tire, RE&RE headliner trim cover, RE&RE right side complete upper and lower C-pillar trim for further inspection, found main clips causing the rattle, replaced all damaged clips, pad out trim and panels, test drive vehicle again, results all normal."
      As you can see, they reassembled the car

I know most of the information are repetitive and not that useful, but I guess you might get something out of it.

BTW, I noticed the nav is faster, do they usually tell you or write it down when they perform an update?

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-27-2012 10:22 AM #19
      An update to my previous post.

The rattle is back!

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      06-27-2012 04:17 PM #20
      No luck at the dealer today. Had 2 different techs ride in the car with me and both claimed they could not here the "rattling" sound. They talked about possible turbo hiss and/or normal sound from the 4 motion system, but that was about it. There is a clear rattling/flapping sound from the rear exhaust area under acceleration....but no luck today. And I also struck out on my RNS-510 issues. Since I could not get the back up camera issue to duplicate itself while at the dealer, it was another non-issue. I tried to explain that the issue with the back up camera was random and that on a few occasions the back up camera never came on period. Sometimes the camera view pops up right away, sometimes you have to wait a few seconds, and sometimes the delay is so long it renders the function useless. However, they "needed" to see it for themselves before they could respond. I did understand their point of view, but I was hoping that maybe they had heard of these issues from other Tig owners or from VW service bulletins. As it turns out, my local dealer is claiming they have no knowledge of these issues at their site from any Tiguan owners or from VW. I'll try to follow up again in the near future and hope a different tech with better hearing is present. As for the RNS-510 issues, I consider them to be minor.....maybe something will eventually come out from VW about it.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-27-2012 04:33 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Black Tiguan View Post
      Just took the car back and I will be quoting the papers below. I drove the car and no rattles so far except a very minor rattle when I had 3 friends sitting in the back.

Here are the dealer's comments:

As you can see, they reassembled the car

I know most of the information are repetitive and not that useful, but I guess you might get something out of it.

BTW, I noticed the nav is faster, do they usually tell you or write it down when they perform an update?
      I get a rattle as well on uneven roads, more specifically on road thats been milled where the roughness is "high-frequency", I hear the rattle sounds like under the dash on the drivers side or its coming from the engine bay. what is the purpose of the EVAP canister? is that for AC? i'll keep that in mind when I bring my car in for its 90 day check up.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-27-2012 05:15 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      I get a rattle as well on uneven roads, more specifically on road thats been milled where the roughness is "high-frequency", I hear the rattle sounds like under the dash on the drivers side or its coming from the engine bay. what is the purpose of the EVAP canister? is that for AC? i'll keep that in mind when I bring my car in for its 90 day check up.
      To be honest, I have no clue what that does... Something related to the emission system I guess; but it's unrelated in my case because I hear it from the back seat and they haven't touched it, hence why the rattle came back a day after .

23. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      06-27-2012 07:09 PM #23
      Evap canister holds gas vapours until they can be burned in the engine. Part of emissions to keep gas out of the atmosphere.

As to rattles, there have been reports of the hardware under the rear seats rattling.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2012 07:19 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Black Tiguan View Post
      To be honest, I have no clue what that does... Something related to the emission system I guess; but it's unrelated in my case because I hear it from the back seat and they haven't touched it, hence why the rattle came back a day after .
      That sucks the rattle came back....Im sure they'll get it taken care of for you soon. GL!

Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
      Evap canister holds gas vapours until they can be burned in the engine. Part of emissions to keep gas out of the atmosphere.

As to rattles, there have been reports of the hardware under the rear seats rattling.
      Thanks for the info Shawn!

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4Motion
      10-10-2012 07:19 PM #25
      After 10 months and 4,000 miles I started getting a strange rattling noise from the engine area. It only happens when the engine hasn't warmed up yet. I originally thought it was happening only when upshifting, but even when downshifting it seems to happen. If I could describe a visual for the sound, it sounds as if a nut came loose and it tumbling around some type of chamber. The car also mildly jerked as it shifted.

I took it in to the dealership today. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4Motion, 2004 R32, 1982 Caddy TDI, 1975 Scirocco 1.8T
      10-11-2012 08:35 AM #26
      Have the same problem with my car when it is cold it rattles and clunks
      Andrew Cordeiro www.makehasteracing.com Follow me on Twitter @MakeHasteRacing & Instagram @MakeHasteRacing
      Former 2008-2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup #26
      PROTECT YOUR NECK!! Race safe.Click Here for DefNder's at a LOW PRICE

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      10-11-2012 03:48 PM #27
      I've got the wastegate rattle too.
      Will have it looked after at my first oil change.
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4Motion
      10-11-2012 06:16 PM #28
      They called me back and didn't experience an issue (of course).
      That stinks.