Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Advice needed - following up on an internal interview

Vehicles
      2.0 for commuting, 5.0 for lolz
      06-08-2012 11:08 AM #1
      A little over two weeks ago, I interviewed internally for a new position in a different department at my workplace. Everything seemed to go quite well, and the position seemed like a great fit, though I was given the ambiguous "we hope to make a decision soon" upon exiting the interview. I sent a thank-you email the next morning. I have heard absolutely nothing from the hiring manager since then. Would it be crass to send the manager a message, asking how the process is coming along and reiterating my interest? I have never been in this situation before with regard to being an internal candidate, so I'm not sure how to proceed without coming off as nosy or desperate, but I really feel like I have a lot to offer for the job (it is one where an internal candidate with knowledge of the company's day-to-day ops would have an undeniable advantage, IMO).

I do know for a fact that they had interviews scheduled for external candidates over the next 7-10 days at the time I interviewed. FWIW in case in matters, this is in a privately owned company, <500 employees, and the department I interviewed with only has about a dozen employees.
      Last edited by retro_rocket; 06-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.

2. 06-08-2012 02:25 PM #2
      Can't hurt. Shows drive

Vehicles
      06-08-2012 02:34 PM #3
      I thought about it a little more and decided to go ahead and do it. I think you're right...what's the worst that could happen?

I think I might just be a bit antsy because I actually had interviewed with a different manager for a different position about a week prior to this interview. He obviously didn't think I would work because I got a rejection e-mail less than a day later - but he referred me to this other position, so I guess it wasn't all for naught.

Vehicles
      2008 GLI
      06-15-2012 09:07 PM #4
      Sometimes these things take a looong time (what feels like too long). There's lots going on behind the scenes that you as the candidate aren't privy to. Discussions with both managers, preparing an offer through HR, etc etc.

2 weeks after your interview they probably hadn't even made it through all the other candidates they had scheduled yet. Patience, patience (even though I hate the waiting too). GL!

Vehicles
      06-16-2012 02:25 PM #5
      Guess I should update this - on Wednesday, I got a call in the afternoon from the hiring manager...I got it

6. 06-24-2012 12:58 AM #7
      if you've completed a project within the company or got a certification (or anything else positive, like improved a skill set, completed an online course) try to tie that in .

i'd send a voice/email message "update" on whatever attribute and ask if there is anyting else to improve your candidacy.