VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Audi TT225 Compound Turbo Build

37K views 239 replies 26 participants last post by  Anyclamp 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have a build thread for this in the TT MK1 forum, but I figure I'll post it here too since I'll be meeting alot of you guys as soon as its done. Enjoy :D

Motor built and installed with powder coated valve cover and SEM intake mani

Both turbos back from welding and powder coat

See less See more
#131 ·
That sucks :(

If I would have known that it would have taken this long for the motor to be put back in, I would have done a shave and respray. I guess I was just holding on to the hope that things would have progressed a little faster...that was dumb:banghead:

#132 ·
Maestro still your plan for tuning?

I scanned through your build pages and noticed that you were going to use the Eurodyne Maestro tuning suite to manage the ecu. Is that still part of the plan? Have you used Maestro before?

I recently finished a rebuild on a 1.8t motor and I'm having trouble getting things back up and running. I have the Maestro suite setup, but no experience and looking for someone that might know how to make a good tune out of this software.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

#133 ·
I haven't used it yet, but I'm having mine tuned through Rob's speed shop. I know Rob has never used it before, but I think he is getting someone alittle more familiar with it to help out, not sure who it is though. I'll give him a call tomorrow and ask him and let you know.

#136 ·
Well look at that, congrats man! Its all buttoning up from here. :thumbup:

So glad you dropped the twin turbo mess and went with a solid setup, its going to be much happier for it. You should be hearing that run in no time now.

#139 ·
I asked them, via email, what sort of additional help they could give me on setting up a custom tune and I got no response. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what's up.

As of yesterday, Maestro has problem connecting to the ECU. Had car battery on charger and laptop plugged into wall. No response from ECU. Pull ECU out to test the original one again, no issue.

Charged car battery back up to 100%, left it on charger with trickle charger going...connects and burns new tune fine. Started the car, turn the car off. 60 seconds later, can't connect anymore. GRRR!

I think it may be a power supply issue to the ECU. I used the Raceline Narrowband to Wideband cable, but he had to make a special solution for me.

The odd thing about my car is that it's a 2000 NB 1.8t with an APH engine code. Wideband o2 sensor already on the upstream location from factory, just that the ECU only had 512k memory on it. So the conversion to using an AWP ecu is only to gain additional memory space (as far as I can understand)

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

#141 · (Edited)
Thank You :beer:

Once you get your passcode to download the software off of their website, your supposed to read your ECU and save that base file and email it to Eurodyne with a list of all your modifactions. They are then supposed to make you a rough base tune, tailored to your current setup. It is by no means supposed to be perfect, but its supposed to give you a good starting point so that your not having to start from scratch. If you never emailed them your ECU map then I would go ahead and do that. It will make your life a whole lot easier :thumbup:

If you have already done that, then I would definitley give them a call. They usually pick up and give some pretty decent advice. There is also a Maestro tuning thread on here that is insanely long, and packed with alot of useful info from guys that have been playing with maestro for many years. You could always post your questions on there too.

#142 · (Edited)
The base file is just that, a base file. It is no way a tune and it will not make decent power or even run well... Mine was total ****. Maestro has very little in the way of support and tuning me7 is a very steep learning curve... It is not for everyone. I would not recommend it to very many people. It tends to be that the people that can tune with it could tune without it, and the majority of people who have it can't use it. It's not in any way an easy program to work with or learn. And the tools it comes with are mostly garbage. It also sucks that it does not give you access to everything, so if you want more you have to plead to tapp for him to give you access... What a joke. In short... Good luck, lol.

#144 ·
Its taken 3 years to get my tune to where its at, and its far from perfect. I'm sure Rob will get it running, but it takes serious time, skill, and a deep... deep.. deep knowledge of the ME7 platform to tune it well. Maestro is not like open source tuning for DSM's, Subarus, or Hondas.... ME7 is MUCH more complicated and involved and backwards. If Rob does not get it worked out easily, dont be surprised. Not doubting him, but no one learns ME7 overnight. Then you throw the Maestro twist into the pot and its even more convoluted... you dont only have to learn the quarks of ME7, you have to learn the quarks and glitches of Maestro GUI as well. :laugh:

#145 ·
It all sounds like a simple little joy ride around the "ECU Block".

I've sent the initial read of my ECU to Eurodyne. The only purpose I saw in doing that was for them to be able to lock my ECU, software and Cable together. Base files are included in the software suite that are downloaded.

I've tried all 2 that might be usable for my setup and neither of them work for anything other than a rough idle.

I'll keep poking at it once I get my voltage supply issue worked out.

#146 ·
It all sounds like a simple little joy ride around the "ECU Block".

I've sent the initial read of my ECU to Eurodyne. The only purpose I saw in doing that was for them to be able to lock my ECU, software and Cable together. Base files are included in the software suite that are downloaded.

I've tried all 2 that might be usable for my setup and neither of them work for anything other than a rough idle.
Sounds like a good ol' Maestro base file.

I'll keep poking at it once I get my voltage supply issue worked out.
A bad voltage issue could also cause a rough idle.

#147 ·
A bunch of guys in the TT forum are trying to get a Maestro Tuning sub forum going, that way everything can be seperated into categories. We are also trying to set it up so anyone can post their files to share, so people with similiar setups will have a really good starting point. If your interested, stop in there and vote yes for a sub-forum. We need 400 votes and I think it is around 300 at the moment. This will benefit everyone!!!

#156 · (Edited)
Ahhh...not really :laugh:

I've only been assured it will be ready for Wuste, so honestly it could be next week or it could be the week of Wuste. I know he still needs to install the rest of my fueling components, install my new subframe, install my porsche brakes, install my oil cooler setup, relocate the battery to the trunk, install my boost and AFR guages, purchase and install my catch can setup, and then button up all the vacum lines and wiring.

Either way I'm getting pretty psych'd to get it back, been a long time coming :thumbup:

#160 ·
Nope, not taking it to wuste, which wasn't really a big deal since I kinda figured it would be nice to come home to a finished car, but then rob let me know that he is going to Ireland on Thursday for 18 days. I foresee this build going on for at least a couple of more months :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.