Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Infiniti G25 already discontinued

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      06-08-2012 08:42 PM #1

That didn't last long

In other news, Infiniti has announced that it will no longer offer the entry-level G25 sedan – powered by a 2.5-liter V6 and able to achieve up to 29 miles per gallon on the highway – leaving only the G37 and IPL G to fill out the range. The short-lived G25 will still remain on sale through December of this year.
      http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/08/2...-discontinued/
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      06-08-2012 08:47 PM #2
      So fast I didn't even realize there was a G25.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

3. 06-08-2012 08:50 PM #3

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      06-08-2012 09:16 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      06-08-2012 09:19 PM #5
      I'm surprised. I expected it to be the volume leader with the low lease price.

I guess buyers weren't fooled.
      :gift:

6. 06-08-2012 09:29 PM #6
      Is it because there will be a new G next year?
      He who dies with the most toys wins..........I'm losing, but having fun keeping up

similar is subjective. a bj from a chick and a bj from a dude are also similar

7. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      06-08-2012 09:36 PM #7
      Too bad they can't give the ax to the QX-56 and other SU-gas pigs.

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      06-08-2012 09:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      06-08-2012 10:20 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      Too bad they can't give the ax to the QX-56 and other SU-gas pigs.
      You keep crying, they'll keep selling.

I don't understand why you'd buy a G25 anyway. A comparable G37 is only $2,400 more, is much more powerful and doesn't do that much worse fuel economy-wise.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      00 CB M5
      06-08-2012 11:09 PM #10
      im not surprised, we have a ton at work and very few Gs that are sold are the 3.7 variety.

The 2.5 is a dog anyway and the $289 a month lease is a joke. They want you to put $5k down and its for a base G25 with a sunroof and heated seats. WOO HOO!

11. 06-08-2012 11:23 PM #11
      I wonder if its gutless

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      06-09-2012 05:58 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VYLENT View Post
      Is it because there will be a new G next year?
      If the model was brand new and very desirable as the new hot car on the market more variety with lower prices might sell. I don't think it's so much that there's a new model coming out as much as it's that this model has been around for a while. There's newer competition and if someone wants one for less then the cost of a new G37, they can buy a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      I don't understand why you'd buy a G25 anyway. A comparable G37 is only $2,400 more, is much more powerful and doesn't do that much worse fuel economy-wise.
      It did not seem that this model was that well thought out or at least executed.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

13. 06-09-2012 07:50 AM #13

If that's the case, what purpose did the G25 serve for the company?

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      06-09-2012 09:16 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      If that's the case, what purpose did the G25 serve for the company?
      It was to get into volume fleet sales (rentals) and to offer something slightly cheaper comparable to the IS250 / TSX / C250 etc.

It wasn't that bad of a failure sales-wise, I actually started seeing more of them on the road around here than G37's. They sold at huge discounts..it was probably easy to get one of these for a $250/month lease payment with nothing down. One of the problems was you couldn't get NAV on any G25, you had to upgrade to a G37 just to get nav which some sort of silly. And in real-world driving it barely got better MPGs than the VQ37.

They are discontinuing it because they are changing the future G lineup to offer a G20t and will be utiliziling the Mercedes Kompressor for the entry level motor, which achieves much better MPG's.
      Last edited by jepva; 06-09-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      06-09-2012 09:20 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      It was to get into volume fleet sales (rentals) and to offer something slightly cheaper comparable to the IS250 / TSX / C250 etc.

It wasn't that bad of a failure, I actually started seeing more of them on the road around here than G37's. They sold at huge discounts..it was probably easy to get one of these for a $250/month lease payment with nothing down.

They are discontinuing it because they are changing the future G lineup to offer a G20t and will be utiliziling the Mercedes Kompressor for the entry level motor, which achieves much better MPG's.
      Ahh, that all makes perfect sense.
      I was also thinking that a four cyl turbo would of been a better idea and apparently that was the idea.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

16. 06-09-2012 09:53 AM #16
      They are selling it until December, the 2014 G should be out Spring 2013, therefore effectively they will not have G25 inventory in Spring 2013 only.

I am not sure why this is considered news, its not a discontinuation its more of preparing for the next model year.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      06-09-2012 10:46 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubbug View Post
      They are selling it until December, the 2014 G should be out Spring 2013, therefore effectively they will not have G25 inventory in Spring 2013 only.

I am not sure why this is considered news, its not a discontinuation its more of preparing for the next model year.
      Exactly. The 2.5L is only found in the G sedan, which rolls out before the coupe/vert in less than a year. And it's the only application of that engine in the US. So it makes sense to end it a little early. The bigger deal in this press release is that the EX/FX finally get the 3.7L VQ.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      06-09-2012 11:12 AM #18

and that's the problem, the price variance is terrible. they should have priced the G25 as an entry level infiniti instead of trying to price out the competition.

19. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-09-2012 11:19 AM #19
      "the future G lineup to offer a G20t and will be utiliziling the Mercedes Kompressor for the entry level motor"

Wait... I thought the Kompressor engine was the old supercharged engine?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

20. 06-09-2012 11:43 AM #20
      I am not sure what happened to Infiniti. I can only guess there must have been some internal fighting between Ghosn and Infiniti management. Ghosn probably wanted to use Mercedes chassis and engines but the Japanese Infiniti management didn't want any part of it hence the delay of the next G. Too bad. Only 3 years ago, the G and the M were pretty competitive with BMW 3's and 5's. Now they are left pretty far behind.
      After observing what Honda and Toyota went through in F1, and how the Japanese lux brands haven't really been able to compete head to head with the Germans, and having driven German and Japanese cars and samples the engines, d I am beginning to think the Japanese cannot, in term of engineering, make cars that are as "good" as the Germans. And after removing all the BS, unfortunately, it may come down to who have the better engineers. I don't know but given all the years have passed, that is the only conclusion I could have come up with.
      Last edited by livingVoice; 06-09-2012 at 11:48 AM.

21. 06-09-2012 12:14 PM #21
      I'm not surprised by this. The thing is the base G37 is already priced about the same or lower than other players in the segment price their base models (328, C300, A4, IS250). Infiniti does need a vehicle to sit below the G series, perhaps a 128 competitor or even better a hot-hatchback. Personally I would slap some Infiniti Badges on the Magane RS and ship it over. Such a car would give Infiniti and instant shot to the top with every automotive publication and auto Journalist.

The sad news about this article is that now we know we have to wait to at least 2014 to see the new G series. Also it looks like Infiniti is not planning to offer their hybrid system until the new G comes out.

Last edited by koko12; 06-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.

22. 06-09-2012 12:19 PM #22
      they need to stick the 2.5 v6 into the juke for juke SE-R

23. 06-09-2012 12:21 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      I'm not surprised by this. Infiniti does need a vehicle to sit below the G series, perhaps a 128 competitor or even better a hot-hatchback.
      They will release an entry level car slotted below the G, based on the Etherea concept. It will be built in Europe, but is still at least a year or two away.

24. 06-09-2012 12:42 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      I'm surprised. I expected it to be the volume leader with the low lease price.

I guess buyers weren't fooled.

Actually, the lease really wasn't any or that much lower....just made sense to do the 37.

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      06-09-2012 12:44 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 08 MKV GTI View Post
      they need to stick the 2.5 v6 into the juke for juke SE-R
      Isn't the 2.5 VQ (VQ25HR) the same physical size as the 3.5/3.7 versions?
      I thought they just used bore and stroke to make the engine displacement smaller, not make a special smaller block engine for this application.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      FX50S, Sienna AWD ltd.
      06-09-2012 02:09 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by livingVoice View Post
      I am not sure what happened to Infiniti. I can only guess there must have been some internal fighting between Ghosn and Infiniti management. Ghosn probably wanted to use Mercedes chassis and engines but the Japanese Infiniti management didn't want any part of it hence the delay of the next G. Too bad. Only 3 years ago, the G and the M were pretty competitive with BMW 3's and 5's. Now they are left pretty far behind.
      After observing what Honda and Toyota went through in F1, and how the Japanese lux brands haven't really been able to compete head to head with the Germans, and having driven German and Japanese cars and samples the engines, d I am beginning to think the Japanese cannot, in term of engineering, make cars that are as "good" as the Germans. And after removing all the BS, unfortunately, it may come down to who have the better engineers. I don't know but given all the years have passed, that is the only conclusion I could have come up with.
      Really?

Their cars are solidly engineered, and some are better to drive/ride than the competition some less. Its more management style. The Japanese managements are lacking in flair and are all about numbers and efficiency, thats why Nissan went through the late 90's boring stage, Honda is going through one now, Subaru naver let STI become more... and keep coming out with boring stylings, and Toyota is only now changing direction under a more interesting car guy such as Toyoda.
      Still when they want there is no denying their engineers can come up with just as good products as anyone.
      GT-R, LF-A, IS-F, BRZ, Impreza Rally, Toyota Rally, RX-7, MX-5, NSX...
      As well as their motorcycles.

Last edited by IsraelGT; 06-09-2012 at 02:16 PM.