VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Aonarch's Beetle; The Saga Begins

41K views 348 replies 55 participants last post by  Aonarch 
#1 · (Edited)
First day pictures!

Good bye dear friend.

Fantastic dash layout.

5 speed manual has a low highway RPM. :thumbup: 70 MPH is a little under 2400 RPM in 5th gear.

Breaking it in the right way.

My better half scoping out the goods.

2.5L :heart:.

A leftover Magnaflow muffler from my racecar.

Looking towards the future.

Specs:
2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L 5MT Reflex Silver Metallic.
Purchased 08Jun2012 for $17000 at Gunther VW of Bufurd GA from Vortex member Tucci.

So Far:
Plasti-dipped all plastic exterior trim pieces
Tinted amber reflectors
Custom Intake

Project on hold until reliability issues are sorted out.

See less See more
#20 ·

Prototype of my 2.5L intake, Beetle version. It is very difficult to fit it right due to the power steering reservoir, the MKVI Golfs do not have this, nor IIRC do the MKVI Jettas. Golfs and Jettas show noticeable improvements off the line for the automatic. The sound is amazing!!! I have a manual and the improvement is there, just not as noticeable as with the automatic. If you are skeptical remove your air box and try to fathom why. This is a prototype, meaning not the final product. I got the fitment right, but now I need to make a final model. It is a very weird shape, almost like a S, to safely clear everything including the hood.

Loving the dash for even more reasons than just its looks.

Every piece of black plastic trim (Not rubber) is getting plasti-dipped. Mirrors, door handles, that funky door protector, etc.

Sorry the sun went down on me, but removed the reflectors to get a coat of VHT Niteshades on them. The light still shines out at night, so no worries there.

#272 ·
Spoiler

I ordered this spoiler, and had my local body shop put it on for $100.00 , thee only thing they didn't do was seal the screws, and my door had a little water in it after a rain storm, so, Of course I fixed it. But it looks great, I will post a pic as soon as I can, but it looks exactly as the picture shows, next are rally stripes since they couldn't do it because they had to trim them.

#27 · (Edited)
Not yet. I am still parting out my GTI so all of my mechanical time is being put into that.

Friday the exhaust is going on.

^ I have been on the hunt for a Air-cooled Beetle for quite some time. This one is immaculate, too nice though, which is reflected in the high price ($9500!). Plasti-dipped in this picture.

Today's progress:

^ Super easy to mask off.

^ Still curing, hence the uneven shine.

^ I thought about blacking out the badge since it is a silver car, started taping, tried to tape inside the badge... What a PITA that would be. Decided to wait. There isn't a good gap to stick paper or tape under the center most part, at the letters, so I just skipped it.

^ I ran out of day light before I could test fit these LM's. They are 18x9 ET45. Also you can see the tinted side-markers in this picture. IIRC I only used 2. Do not use 4, or else nothing will emit. Remember you can always add another coat, but removing coats is a huge PITA.

The trim annoyed me, it isn't perfectly black and it doesn't match anything. The mirrors, door handle, and the door guards are not the same tone so I decided to make them the same tone. :laugh:

#31 · (Edited)
I should have edited that. I have 2 LM's that I was making a coffee table out of. A tire shop destroyed the barrel and the lip of one of them, they claimed it was already like that, but they were new in box when they arrived at their shop, and then UPS must have thrown one of them off a building because it was completely destroyed, lip and barrel. They got me a new one as well. :banghead:

I am thinking about getting a set though, but I am not sure how I would like that big of a lip. They are 3". Something tells me it would look weird.

One of them will balance out, so I would only need 3 wheels. I don't know the proper fitment yet though. I might need to just got to the next meet and guilt people into letting me try theirs out.... :laugh:

#34 ·
I have watched a few youtube videos on plasti dip on the badges. they just taped around the outside and painted the entire area with several light coats. then removed the blue tape. then used a toothpick to snag some of the painted area inside of the VW logo and it takes out the center section with a clean line all around the inner areas. Lets see some front vw emblem pics when you get yours done. I have the same reflex silver beetle and need to get that done to my front emblem. I have been wanting to matte black mine out since day one.

#36 ·
@stingme

Thanks. In the MKVI section a guy waxed his paint a few times and just sprayed it no masking. Turned out great. Plus you can use a cotton ball and alcohol to prep the badge.

@huss

No you look good.

Sent from my iPhone 7GS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.