VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Aonarch's Beetle; The Saga Begins

41K views 348 replies 55 participants last post by  Aonarch 
#1 · (Edited)
First day pictures!

Good bye dear friend.

Fantastic dash layout.

5 speed manual has a low highway RPM. :thumbup: 70 MPH is a little under 2400 RPM in 5th gear.

Breaking it in the right way.

My better half scoping out the goods.

2.5L :heart:.

A leftover Magnaflow muffler from my racecar.

Looking towards the future.

Specs:
2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L 5MT Reflex Silver Metallic.
Purchased 08Jun2012 for $17000 at Gunther VW of Bufurd GA from Vortex member Tucci.

So Far:
Plasti-dipped all plastic exterior trim pieces
Tinted amber reflectors
Custom Intake

Project on hold until reliability issues are sorted out.

See less See more
#50 ·
Alphreds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol how much loser.

Test fitted my LM's. I do not clear the brakes (I already new that), but I am nearly touching the shock . Wheels are 18x9 ET40. I use a minimum of a 5mm spacer to clear the brakes, but I didn't have any handy.

I got bored and had some left over caliper paint when I had to repaint my GTI calipers. Wheel cleaner stripped off some paint on the GTI. I plan on painting them Gold later. It really depends on the wheels.

#71 ·
Hi-
Just curios what intake and exhaust model numbers you are using. Also have you seen much of an increase in miles per gallon?

I'm still waiting on actaul bolt on intakes before I go that direction.

r
Mike
Check out page 1. I built my own intake and the exhaust is just a universal magnaflow muffler.

I've only owned the car for 7 days so no MPG reports, but on my Golf 2.5L I gained 1-2 mpg and better throttle response.

From what I've read the Neuspeed intake will work, but you need to relocate the PS reservoir.

#73 ·
Sticker was ~$20k.

The sale price was the sale price, no trade-in, downpayment, none of those sales tricks.

I hate, hate dealers that do that!!! We will sell you this for XXXXX, oh wow that is a good price! You read through the sale order and you see price including 20% downpayment, no tax, fees, blah, blah.

#78 · (Edited)

Have you guys seen the spare tire in the Beetle?!

Yikes that is tiny. Next to it is a standard VW spare tire 205/55/16R. Ours is a 125/90/16... Not good enough IMO.

So I cut some wood and I mocked up a frame. I now need to make a wood floor, or top, to sit on top of the frame as well. I'll do that later. I don't have any road trips coming up soon.

I plan on keeping the small spare in there for trips less than 50 miles away, but anything more than that I'll throw the frame and wood floor in there with the big spare.

Oh the reason for the frame is because the spot for the spare is very small just like the original spare. Putting the larger spare in will not allow the carpeting to fit. So a frame and new floor is needed to fit the carpet. You will lose about 4" of depth in the rear cargo area doing this modification.

#79 · (Edited)

I went ahead and ordered some H&R Super Sport springs to help with my wheel gap problem.

I still haven't found any shocks yet. Super Sports really need aftermarket shocks or else they will ride like garbage. Koni Yellows are normally good for a moderate drop. I need to call up some suppliers and see if I can source some.

Measured for spacers today. I really like the stock wheels and I plan on keeping them for a bit. If I am going to go lower I will need to spacers to help get them flush. Spacers should also help in the handling/ steering department a bit too.

#82 ·

^ Made a foam gun, cost $10 from Wal-mart Lawn and Garden center.

^ Foam gun in action, basically impossible to take a picture of foam on a silver car, but it is covered in foam.

^ Two 5 gallon buckets. I don't use the three bucket system, because my wheels never get dirty enough.

^ I got a dent, while at Wal-mart purchasing the foam gun. Irony...

#88 ·

I like these Audi wheels, but something tells me no.

What about those is 5x112 18x8 ET35? Should fit alright, might need a bit of a spacer to flush them out, but I love the classic design. That is the wheel on the New Beetle road cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.