Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: buddy down the road needs help

1. 06-09-2012 08:47 AM #1
      96 golf. obd2
      having an issue with the car not starting. at first they thought fuel pump...replaced. same issue.
      then someone told him it might be a relay...replaced. same issue.
      another friend of mine told him it might be throttle body..replaced. same issue.

problem comes in the morning when he get in to go to work or what not. turns key. and nothing.
      but he says if he just turns key. and dont crank it to start. just puts key forward and waits....at some point he hears a noise. once he hears noise. car will start. sometimes stays running. sometimes shut off.

also says that once the temp gauge gets over the first couple hash marks. then the car will start and run. this weeks since its been warm. he only has issues in the am. but again once it guage gets over couple hash marks. car starts and runs fine???

any ideas on what to check???
      someone told him it might be thermostat??

appreciate any help.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      06-09-2012 09:32 AM #2
      Check the battery, starter, and ignition switch.

Scan for codes.
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      1993 Jeep ZJ 4.0

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

3. 06-09-2012 10:29 AM #3
      guess il let him know to have it scanned.
      i dont think its battery....im no mechanic. just seems that if the car gets warm...with key in on position. car fires right up.
      guess starter is a possibility also. but thought they either go or dont. not much inbetween. again, im no mechanic.
      ill pass the word. thanks for reply and ideas.
      anyone else? other things to check.
      thanks again

4. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      06-14-2012 03:08 PM #4
      I would start by subbing in a new, quality (not noname) ignition switch. You can remove the steering column shroud, unplug the existing ignition switch, and plug in a substitute in about two minutes to see if/how it affects the problem.

Next, replace the coolant temperature sensor. It's the yellow four terminal sensor located in the coolant flange. When the engine is cold, the coolant temperature sensor, and the air intake temperature sensor are used by the engine to determine and control fuel mixture.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      06-14-2012 09:31 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      I would start by subbing in a new, quality (not noname) ignition switch. You can remove the steering column shroud, unplug the existing ignition switch, and plug in a substitute in about two minutes to see if/how it affects the problem.

Next, replace the coolant temperature sensor. It's the yellow four terminal sensor located in the coolant flange. When the engine is cold, the coolant temperature sensor, and the air intake temperature sensor are used by the engine to determine and control fuel mixture.
      It might be easier to check for B+ on the starter signal wire while cranking, as opposed to putting in a new switch to test. Power at the small wire with key in crank position, switch is working.

ECT sensor isn't going to cause a no-crank situation.
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      1993 Jeep ZJ 4.0

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.