Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 12 of 12

    Thread: s2 first and second gear problems

    1. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2011
      Location
      New Albany , Indiana
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      87 scirocco
      06-09-2012 03:07 PM #1
      Recently i have been experiencing problems with getting my 87 16v in first gear. More recently its been extremely hard to shift into second gear. I just put a new clutch kit in it no more than a year ago so i have ruled that out. Could it be something to do with the shift linkage or would it more likely be something to do with the transmission? Any suggestions please?

    2. Member fundmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2010
      Location
      peoria,il
      Posts
      1,071
      Vehicles
      88 golf gt, 92 gti, 83 rocco
      06-09-2012 04:43 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by jrocco88 View Post
      Recently i have been experiencing problems with getting my 87 16v in first gear. More recently its been extremely hard to shift into second gear. I just put a new clutch kit in it no more than a year ago so i have ruled that out. Could it be something to do with the shift linkage or would it more likely be something to do with the transmission? Any suggestions please?
      replace the bushings, its like 15 bucks for a linkage rebuild kit. check your motor mounts too. they fail and mess with the geometry of the shift linkage.
      chevy runs derp.

    3. Member Teighlor O''s Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      1,142
      Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v
      06-10-2012 11:19 AM #3
      Make sure if you get the linkage kit, with the bushings, you get the kit that has the orangish, red bushing. The kit from German Auto Parts doesnt have it. But it does have the linkage arms. The kit from Partsgeek.com DOES have the orange bushing, but not the linkage arm. Get both kits, and replace everything.


      I just did this. I had the same issue.
      "Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."
      -George Bernard Shaw

    4. Member Eistreiber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Northern Colorado, USA
      Posts
      1,496
      Vehicles
      '78 CE Antje, '81 S 16v Rommel, 3x other Mk1 Sciroccos. No Kias here...
      06-10-2012 08:57 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Teighlor O' View Post
      Make sure if you get the linkage kit, with the bushings, you get the kit that has the orangish, red bushing. The kit from German Auto Parts doesnt have it. But it does have the linkage arms. The kit from Partsgeek.com DOES have the orange bushing, but not the linkage arm. Get both kits, and replace everything.


      I just did this. I had the same issue.
      Hi Tayler!

      Yep that; replace all the soft parts with new schitt, and be sure it's the correct new schitt.

      Also; you'll probably need to re-align shift rod, see Bentley. Looks intimidating at first, but read and comprehend... ees not so bad. Figure out how it works and tweak as needed, you'll be slap shifting in no time.

      "By Endurance We Conquer" - Family motto of Sir Ernest Shackleton

    5. Member Teighlor O''s Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      1,142
      Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v
      06-11-2012 08:08 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      Hi Tayler!

      Yep that; replace all the soft parts with new schitt, and be sure it's the correct new schitt.

      Also; you'll probably need to re-align shift rod, see Bentley. Looks intimidating at first, but read and comprehend... ees not so bad. Figure out how it works and tweak as needed, you'll be slap shifting in no time.

      Hey man, hows things?
      "Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."
      -George Bernard Shaw

    6. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2011
      Location
      New Albany , Indiana
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      87 scirocco
      06-11-2012 10:27 PM #6
      I'm getting the kit asap. I'll let u know how it goes. Thanks

    7. Member Eistreiber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Northern Colorado, USA
      Posts
      1,496
      Vehicles
      '78 CE Antje, '81 S 16v Rommel, 3x other Mk1 Sciroccos. No Kias here...
      06-12-2012 05:12 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Teighlor O' View Post
      Hey man, hows things?
      Doing OK. Too bad you weren't to make Cincy this year, it was a good one. Maybe next year?

      "By Endurance We Conquer" - Family motto of Sir Ernest Shackleton

    8. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2011
      Location
      New Albany , Indiana
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      87 scirocco
      06-18-2012 09:04 PM #8
      So i replaced all the linkage bushings but could not figure out where the orange bushing you were talkin about goes. The only thing i didnt mess with rebuilding was the shift lever mechanism

    9. Member cuppie's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2005
      Location
      Redford, MI
      Posts
      2,491
      Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 86 QSW (still unnamed); 90 325iX (Nina - RIP); 89 325iX (kid's new car)
      06-18-2012 10:51 PM #9
      I'll guess that that statement means that yours is either so badly deteriorated as to be unidentifiable, if not missing entirely.

      See the bracket bolted to the top of the steering rack, that the main shift rod passes thru? Thy orange bushing goes in that - it supports & guides the shift rod.
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 5
      things currently broken (QSW): 5!!

    10. Member Teighlor O''s Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2011
      Location
      Cleveland, Ohio
      Posts
      1,142
      Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v
      06-19-2012 07:00 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      Doing OK. Too bad you weren't to make Cincy this year, it was a good one. Maybe next year?

      Yeah im gonna make it next year, for sure.
      "Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."
      -George Bernard Shaw

    11. Member BluDemon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2005
      Location
      Dickson, TN
      Posts
      5,016
      Vehicles
      2013 Porsche Carrera 4S, 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500, 1988 VW Scirocco
      06-19-2012 12:25 PM #11

    12. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2011
      Location
      New Albany , Indiana
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      87 scirocco
      06-19-2012 04:46 PM #12
      well i put a bushing there! It was a clear bushing with one just like it at the other end of the rod. We are talking about the rod that goes vertical parallel with the engine right?

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •