We were rolling my GTI 337 off some ramps and i hopped in to yank the ebrake up and threw the door open.. as the car was rolling back it pushed the edge of the door through the drywall in my buddies garage.
Some polishing solved the car door scratches, but the drywall needed some extensive repairs. OOPS.
I think I do pretty dumb stuff with cars all the time. I've been in a similar situation to the OP, though the damage was much more minor. Most of my errors have unfortunately happened to the corrado though. But I will say that if I do damage the car in some way, I always make sure it's back in tip top shape.
Dumb stuff from when I was a whippersnapper back in the 80's:
1. Replacing valve cover gaskets in my Camaro. Got them tightened down nicely, then decided to give one bolt an extra crank of torque for some reason. Collector's item Corvette valve cover nicely broken.
2. Working at a Porsche/Audi dealer as a detailer during the summer. Service dept. replaced an automatic climate control unit in the dash of a 5000 Turbo. Then I got in and gave it a hearty soak of Windex to polish it up, thereby frying the replacement unit which they of course had to replace again.
3. Backing my 280ZX off of ramps after an oil change, I goosed it too fast. Air dam contacted the ramps, bending the dam on both sides. Strange looking ZX from the front after that.
4. Jacked up the same ZX to change a front tire. Missed the jack point.....resulting in a big dome of bent floorpan intruding into the driver's side footwell.
Last edited by DerSpiegel; 06-12-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Two nights ago, I foolishly attempted to perform a parallel parking maneuver into a tight spot with limited visibility of the curb. I am always SUPER careful and I go slow, but I still managed to hit the curb with my brand new CCWs and now the rear passenger wheel has a slight curb rash on the outer rim.
I guess I'll break out the aluminium polisher some time this weekend to see if I can smooth it out... if not I'll replace the rim shell over the winter.
All this was done in less than 5 seconds, on a Sunday morning, dressed to impress, in the church parking lot, and completely sober, because my damm door latch decided not to work that day.
Spun tires in front of a cop in my teenage years. D'oh.
Tightened a downpipe nut down too far and snapped the stud on the manifold. D'oh!
Most recently, but not as tragic, I spent 4-5 hours working on my car in the engine bay area, bent over because my car is relatively low when stock, and I'm 6'3" so this hurt my back. I finished, and then remembered I was in an actual shop, with an actual hydraulic lift underneath my car, and I could've raised the car at least to waist height and lessened the strain on my back.
First week i had my license i was driving my mazda 3 in a really bad storm with about 80mph winds. went to go get out and the door wouldnt even open the wind was so strong. So being the tough guy that i am deciced to try even harder to open it, next thing i know the wind ripped the door right out of my hands and smashed it into my fender was a pretty expensive repair but i learned my lesson... but the next week while the car was in the shop i somehow managed to get into 2 accidents in one day in my moms van lol havent had one accident since then tho
Oh I have a good one. Make it two.
16 years old, gorgeous spring day in Michigan and here I am with a few months under my belt driving my silver '89 CRX. Headed over to my buddies house who lived on the lake, flat roads in a neighborhood. I have a big ol' F350 sitting in front of me and just putting along. Being billy badass I decide to pass on a big open left hander. Bad idea.
Suburban in the oncoming lane! 28 YO me would have just steered to the left and drove off in the grass. 16 YO me swerves right and gets the whole right side of my car ripped off by some big ass tires. The second I went to pass all I could do was go "Why did I just do that?"
17 YO me is now driving a '99 camry (this would have been 2000) so I am feeling pretty pimp. Parents gave me the lease as my mom didn't like it. Taking all the dudes to lunch one day and I take the back round to Taco Bell. Waiting at a sign to cross the two lanes and for some reason my waiting was about 1 second with no solid right look. Bad idea. As soon as I did it I knew I was getting hit and sure enough BAM right rear QP. Same thing the second I pulled out I went "Why did I just do that"
I have 4 And even a picture!!!
1) In my 96 Civic (2 months old to me) was rolling backwards out of the garage to turn the car around to change the rear wheels (driveway had slope and car wouldn't fit all the way in the garage) and didn't think to shut my door. Forgot the Crown Vic was out front and my door stopped my car against the front bumper.
2) Friend and I were jacking up the front end of above Civic and for some reason we put the jack under the radiator mounting tab... Luckily only broke the bottom plastic connection on the radiator.
3) While jumping my friends car with the above Civic bad things happened. Hood didn't have a hood prop, had aftermarket fiberglass hood when I bought it, so just kept the hood all the way up and it wouldn't fall down, at least with no wind. Well it was windy, rainy and about 40 degrees out. Well the hood gets blown down and lands on the jumper cables and rips the fiberglass out of one of the brackets. Then going to put the hood back up the wind caught it again and the corner smashed the windshield and cracked it half way up the passenger side.
4) I bought my MKIV Jetta without looking too much into it. (was in a hurry to get rid of the Civic). And I bought it, got it, and it was like by the way I need timing belt, water pump, thermostat, brake pads and rotors all the way around, secondary air pump was going bad and something is wrong with the clutch that it won't disengage at high rpms
I've fixed everything but the clutch, have the kit sitting in my room just waiting for the fiancee to be able to drive manual on the road before I replace it. I don't want a new clutch ruined from her slipping it too bad or something...
So yea, I've had some pretty bad **** happen
My moment was back in 2009. I had just finished cleaning my car for the local car show. Strapped my BMX bike to the roof rack because I figured I'd ride around the show since it was in a large college commuter lot, and because it matched my 8 month old '08 STi. Got all ready and left. Realizing I forgot something I went back opened the garage door and with the fantastic habit of always being in a rush I drove into the garage before the door finished opening. Needless to say, there is still a square imprint with 4 circles from the front of my stem in my garage door to this day. The roof got a pretty nasty dent that cracked the paint, the threaded stud from the bike rack impaled the roof as well. I bent the roof rack crossbar, and broke the garage door.
Luckily though, since my dad has had more than his fair share of automotive failures my mom made sure he kept his mouth shut and I didn't really get in that much trouble. They said the garage door needed to be adjusted anyway . Never pull into any building until the gate/door is completely opened anymore.
Photo of said bike and car. Still kick myself in the ass for that one. Felt like such a noob.