Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new 1.8TQM!

1. 06-11-2012 01:50 PM #1
      Ive been looking for a replacement for my civic, because manual steering gets old haha. So I did months of looking around, and found this on craigslist. Talked him down to $2000, 226,000 miles. Interior is pretty much mint. Runs and drives great, just has kind of a sloppy shifter, AC, and cruise control arent working. Exterior needs a little work, has lots of rock chips up front, and I need the lower door moldings all around. Supposedly original engine/trans/clutch/turbo?

Came with an extra set of headlights, B6 S4 18" wheels with brand new tires, Stock wheels with brand new tires, S4 springs in the box, and an unknown brand new exhaust in the box. He said it didnt fit? Package was sent from ECS tuning, I might try to see if itll fit soon, but if anyone can identify it, it would be helpful.

Surprisingly I got all the original keys and tags, but no service history. And I dont know if its got allroad suspension or something but it seems to sit really, abnormally high...

No big plans, want to make it clean, fun daily. Probably lower, possibly chip it, Ill probably powdercoat the wheels, and thats about it, for now haha. Dont have any paperwork of a timing belt, just what the guy said, so thats the #1 priority right now.

On with the pics!

This radio is terrible, new one and 1 12" coming soon.

Pretty nice boost gauge.

2 of the stock wheels, all 4 have new tires.

Im guessing stock headlights? Pigtails are cut off, and the old delta radio.

Anyone recognize these springs?

Not sure what exhaust this is or why it "doesnt fit" yet. No badging...

2. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8TQM 98 Passat Wagon
      06-11-2012 02:49 PM #2
      Allroad suspension is air so I doubt that. And S4 springs will raise that car. I'm digging that car otherwise.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

Vehicles
      98.5 A4 1.8TQM
      06-11-2012 03:11 PM #3
      It might look really high because you're running a stock suspension on 18" wheels with big tires.

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 2.8Q, 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
      06-11-2012 03:17 PM #4
      looks pretty clean.

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      06-11-2012 03:38 PM #5
      i like the seats

6. 06-11-2012 05:01 PM #6
      Im thinking of getting some ebay floor mats, those gross grey ones arent cutting it haha. Anyone seen these in person? Are they decent?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-01-AUDI-A...ht_4028wt_1396

Also need a good timing belt kit, and find something better than the terrible cupholders it has, probably try to find a facelift at the junkyard and throw in the center console. Armrest would be nice too. Also the airbag light is on, the guy said it had something to do with the fogs being on when the headlights are on, so he changed a resistor, and the light came on or something like that.

Ill have to do some searching for the next few days.

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      06-11-2012 10:27 PM #7
      Get monster mats...and get your tb kit off of germanautoparts.com

8. 06-12-2012 12:05 AM #8
      I agree, get some rubber floor mats.

you can get the weather tech fronts for $50 or the set for like $90

ecstuning sells all 4 for I think $100 but they are 100% oem and look great.

9. 06-12-2012 12:16 AM #9
      What should i replace while im down there? Snub mount? Ive also seen some kits with oil gaskets???

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      06-12-2012 12:30 PM #10
      Deff snub mount.

11. 06-14-2012 12:54 PM #11
      Yeah im thinking snub mount, check for leaks of any kind. Any things that I should check while its all apart?

And also im thinking of seafoaming the crankcase, and doing an oil change... But if the motors original with this many miles, could it just end up causing leaks? I really want to be sure i get all the sludge out of the bottom end, if there is any. Or should i just change the oil and not worry about it? The car came with a big new OEM audi oil filter, im guessing thats the one I should be using to give the 1.8T a little more oil capacity, right? Whatever I do when i change the oil ill be doing a good full synthetic, probably royal purple.

Vehicles
      2001 b5 awm
      06-15-2012 02:25 PM #12
      always full synthetic. and defiantly check the turbo if you haven't already. the 1.8 engine is a tank and can run forever (if properly maintained) so if the guy just kept up on the oil changes consistant you should be fine. but the only real way to tell would be to pop off the valve cover and check it out. oh and look for control arms too im sure those will need to be replaced.

if im not mistaken thats a FWD muffler
      Quote Originally Posted by ISHOT View Post

Not sure what exhaust this is or why it "doesnt fit" yet. No badging...
      Last edited by donkeysaudi; 06-15-2012 at 02:34 PM.

13. 06-15-2012 11:27 PM #13
      Thanks man! Ill have to sell it and get something else i guess. Too quiet now haha. But control arms are good whole suspension was replaced 30k ago. I seafoamed the crankcase and drove hard for about 15 miles, threw in some shell rotella T6. Seems good now, no problems. How would i check the turbo? It does seems to makes some wierd noises sometimes, but is pretty much dead silent. No grinding or anything, but when I turn the car off I can hear it for a few seconds, could just be vacuum. Im new to the turbo world. Its a little tough to get into first and reverse, and the shifter moves a little in 5th, so I think after the T belt, ill need to replace all the bushings, boot, and shift knob.

Vehicles
      2001 b5 awm
      06-16-2012 01:55 AM #14
      if you give me some specs i might be able to take it off your hands

if it doesn't sound bad don't worry about it and just keep an eye on the boost gauge. the bad thing is the dentist drill turbo that's when u know its going bad and ur gonna need a replacement

15. 06-17-2012 04:38 PM #15
      Well tomorrow im going to try to get it under there and see why the exhaust doesnt fit, and ill let you know. It looks REALLY nice, i wish i could put it on, and i wish there was some paperwork with it haha.

Ive done some searching too, and i know a lot of cars with BOSE have wierd ohms and it doesnt sound good with an aftermarket radio, Im thinking of changing to a nice double din, and wondering if my speakers are decent, or if i'd be better off replacing them? The radio is delta, but the speakers in the rear deck say BOSE on them. Do I have full bose? Partial? Added later? Theres an amp in back too. Sounds okay now but the JVC head unit thats in there seems pretty ****ty. Dont know if its how it is, or if another head unit would make it sound better. I plan on adding a 12" too.

Vehicles
      98 a4 2.8 avant, 93 90cs quattro
      06-18-2012 12:42 AM #16
      cars that came with bose speakers have bose logos on all speaker grills front and back (thats how you find them easily in the junkyard ^_^) and to be doubly sure, bose cars have a special separate amp too (should be near the left rear wheel well). mine had stock nokias, i replaced the rears with aforementioned junkyard boses to very noticeable improvement (i replaced my original cassette deck head unit with an oem cd player one). the junkyard bose fronts were very slightly dry rotted or something and thusly sounded like sh:t.
      Last edited by jetta5000; 06-18-2012 at 12:46 AM.

17. 06-19-2012 05:03 PM #17
      I have no bose logos on the grilles, but i DO have the amp and the bose sticker on the rear deck speakers...

18. 06-26-2012 01:52 AM #18
      Seafoamed the intake today, took a video but ran out of memory. Definitely needed it. Fixed the rear door handle by bending the little hook that connect so its a little shorter, and realized that all my speakers are confirmed bose, but it says it nowhere on the car besides stickers behind the speaker.

Timing belt should be here in a few days, ill report back with the results of my ventures.

Also, seeing the ridiculous shipping rates on 034, Im going to try to DIY the snub mount, either liquid poly or rubber with the hardener, and fill in the "free space" in the snub myself.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 1.8TQSM
      06-26-2012 03:16 AM #19
      (Don't know if previous responses repeat what I am saying)

Are those S4 front seats and 2.8 rears? Kind of weird. Or do you have really rare 1.8T Sport Seats (?). Are they manual?

The exhaust looks like the one they sold really cheap a few years ago. It was a FWD exhaust. You can probably search on Audizine and you'll find the diameter.

I'm really confused with your interior, but I do love it.

Welcome!
      B5 1.8TQM
      RS2'd urS4

20. 06-26-2012 02:20 PM #20
      I cant find pictures of these seats anywhere haha, but i like them. They're manual and heated, didnt know the 1.8T and 2.8 had different rears?

21. 06-26-2012 03:19 PM #21
      Here are some more pictures of the seats, I like them but theyre both super hard to slide forward, about equally as hard, I need a friend in the back seat to push as i almost rip off the steering wheel haha. If just one was hard i would think its broke, but they both are? And also, I hate the knob design to recline the seats. -_- Whats wrong with a handle?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 1.8TQSM
      06-27-2012 12:33 AM #22
      That seems to be a really rare interior. I've never seen Sport Leather seats that weren't form an S4. Sport Cloths are hard to come by. I can't imagine how rare these are.

I'm not 100% sure on the rears being different but they look to be the same leather that comes on 2.8s.
      B5 1.8TQM
      RS2'd urS4

23. 07-03-2012 12:35 PM #23
      Plasti-dipped my rims, grille, and emblems the other day, and i love how it looks. Doing the timing belt in like an hour, but im getting liquid polyurethane first. Im too cheap to buy a snub, so im going to mix my own poly and fill in the "gaps" in the stock snub bracket. Ill make a writeup, wish me luck haha.

Vehicles
      98 a4 2.8 avant, 93 90cs quattro
      07-18-2012 01:50 AM #24
      not 2.8 leathers, the bolsters on the leg sides are too high, also they do not blend with the front of the seat. so far as i've seen all 2.8s have electronic drivers seat controls/manual passengers. OP suggests both sides are manual which is very unusual indeed. passat seats perhaps?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8TQM 98 Passat Wagon
      07-18-2012 01:21 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta5000 View Post
      not 2.8 leathers, the bolsters on the leg sides are too high, also they do not blend with the front of the seat. so far as i've seen all 2.8s have electronic drivers seat controls/manual passengers. OP suggests both sides are manual which is very unusual indeed. passat seats perhaps?
      We already established that they are a4 1.8t sport seats.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

26. 08-02-2012 02:48 PM #26
      PICS! Bad ones, but whatever haha. I need side moldings so bad, and both the ones at the bottom of the fender, what are those called? I cant find them anywhere.

Forgot, I painted my lowers, too! Didnt sand well enough and need to clean up the lines for the "euro" rear lip haha, Ill eventually re-do it if I ever get this car nice enough.

New used radio, I love it!

Trunk is a mess, and that string is super temporary. I need to throw in my other box and mount it better.... Maybe velcro?
      Last edited by ISHOT; 08-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.

27. 08-02-2012 02:57 PM #27
      Also, that exhaust comes nowhere close to fitting, and I found the reciept in the box. It was $55 brand new, seriously? Only like 80 with shipping. I figured it was worth more just in materials, oh well. Probably just going to get rid of it on CL.

Vehicles
      2001 B5 A4qm
      08-02-2012 03:24 PM #28
      Those are called lower door moldings and you can get them off ECStuning.

29. 08-02-2012 03:58 PM #29
      I know about the door moldings, but the lower molding of the fender doesnt come with any of the door molding kits ive seen.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ldings/ES5048/

Nevermind, I found them! http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ings/ES430738/
      Last edited by ISHOT; 08-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Vehicles
      LG9R GTI , '57 Ford Thunderbird
      08-02-2012 04:39 PM #30
      In case you still need a snub mount, you can get a Stern snub mount for $30 from PureMS.
      GRIP | SQUARED | WOOKIE

31. 08-02-2012 04:51 PM #31
      I actually filled in the gaps in the stock mount with some polyurethane roofing caulk, and it worked pretty well! And only cost me $4!

32. 08-23-2012 02:43 PM #32
      Well, looks like my lower flex pipe is busted, Dudes said $160 to replace it. So im thinking I might be better off getting the SSAC exhaust... Or should I just fix the flex and get a magnaflow? Trying to go as cheap as possible without using "cheap" parts. That exhaust seems pretty nice and sounds pretty refined to me.

Any other cheap mods for power I can do? I dont know how much hp a downpipe will get me, and I dont have emissions testing, but I usually like to keep the cats on my cars because I feel guilty haha. But if it gets me like 20+ hp i'd probably do it...

Got a new windshield and ebay short throw shifter! It was a PITA and I wanted to keep the push down reverse, but for the price, it was an awesome mod, looks cool, shifts feel much better, welllllll worth it.

I want a weighted shift knob now to improve the feel, but id prefer black leather and not a ricer chrome or brushed aluminum one, any suggestions?

Also about to go outside and "brush" my front emblem, I havent seen a pic of one installed on a car but seems to look pretty good.

And one for anyone who doesnt understand what makes plast-dip a magical substance...

Vehicles
      mk6 Jetta TDI (Current)
      08-23-2012 03:04 PM #33
      nice keep it up... btw that stereo i hated couldn't see the damn screen during the day time
      Mk6 Jetta TDi DSG /istagram@D_and_6

34. 08-23-2012 04:33 PM #34
      Its not too bad for me, but I see what you mean, too damn shiny. Thanks! And the brushed rings didnt work haha, the steel wool I used just polished the chrome, itll be alright for now.

35. 08-25-2012 02:31 PM #35
      Also, car runs awesome, hasnt given me any problems, doesnt leak or burn anything, so even though I just rolled over 230,000, im thinking of GIAC chipping it... What is worst case scenario? I kill my turbo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast